WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Please provide link where a hiker is required to wear orange...interntet?...try science.
    https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0...5/s135.41.html

(21)**Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Safety course...Bahh...orange was adopted because DEER can not see orange. Lime green is more visible to the human eye. Wear what you want but your safety course is wrong.
    The safety courses specifically train hunters to look for blaze orange. I'm not arguing that it's more visible than other colors, I'm telling you that it's the color that hunters most quickly and directly associate with humans. Before you conclude which color best according to science, as you have above, I suggest you consult Ivan Pavlov. Blaze orange is a simple standard that hunters are conditioned to look for and that conditioning makes a real difference in their reaction speed. Keep it simple, follow the safety standard that everyone is expecting.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-31-2017 at 05:27.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The safety courses specifically train hunters to look for blaze orange. I'm not arguing that it's more visible than other colors, I'm telling you that it's the color that hunters most quickly and directly associate with humans. Before you conclude which color best according to science, as you have above, I suggest you consult Ivan Pavlov. Blaze orange is a simple standard that hunters are conditioned to look for and that conditioning makes a real difference in their reaction speed. Keep it simple, follow the safety standard that everyone is expecting.
    Orange is traditional, and is required in VA. I'm pretty sure that pink is legal now, too.
    I wear an orange bandanna when I hike in hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I took a hunter safety course back in the seventies and one of the field demos was in the fall when the leaves dropped the demo walked through an area of woods. The instructor asked us how many people were out in the woods. At most one or two folks were visible with no orange on. The instructor then blew a whistle and 5 or 6 other folks suddenly appeared when they put a blaze orange hat on. It makes big difference.

Note the state of Maine had to make an exception for Amish and Mennonite hunters, they wont wear fluorescent colors so they are allowed to use red when hunting.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 10-31-2017 at 14:48.

Orange is not the most visible color. Any bright a$$ color will be seen by hunters. Orange is not visible by deer...who cares if deer can see you as they will flee as soon as they hear you stomping through the woods.
    Orange isn't the most visible color for most people in full sunlight--fluorescent green/yellow is, however, orange is slightly better in lower light conditions.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Safety course...Bahh...orange was adopted because DEER can not see orange. Lime green is more visible to the human eye. Wear what you want but your safety course is wrong.
    You didn't read his post. His point was that blaze orange is the best choice because that is what hunters are taught to look for in their hunter safety course. He didn't say it's the most visible. That said, you are right about lime green being more visible to the human eye in well lit conditions. Orange/red works better in lower light.

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc...s-and-runners/
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I took hunter safety course back in the seventies and one of the field demos was in the fall when the leaves dropped the demo walked through an area of woods. The instructor asked us how many people were out in the woods. At most one or two folks were visible with no orange on. The instructor then blew a whistle and 5 or 6 other folks suddenly appeared when they put a blaze orange hat on. It makes big difference.

Having hunted in Alabama swamp land with a lot of brush, orange is a great choice. Much easier to see people with blaze orange clothing than other hunting clothing. Law in Alabama at the time was basically you had to have 144 sq. inches visible of blaze orange. A hat would qualify.
    Note the state of maine had to make an exception for Amish and Mennonite hunters, they wont wear fluorescent colors so they are allowed to use red when hunting.
    Having hunted in Alabama swamp land with a lot of brush, orange is a great choice. Much easier to see people with blaze orange clothing than other hunting clothing. Law in Alabama at the time was basically you had to have 144 sq. inches visible of blaze orange. A hat would qualify. Most hunters wore vests and hats. I had a long sleeved orange shirt and hat.
    Thoreau

Please provide link where a hiker is required to wear orange...interntet?...try science.
    http://www.dem.ri.gov/huntorng.pdf

If you're hiking on game management areas in Rhode Island
    Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    You didn't read his post. His point was that blaze orange is the best choice because that is what hunters are taught to look for in their hunter safety course. He didn't say it's the most visible. That said, you are right about lime green being more visible to the human eye in well lit conditions. Orange/red works better in lower light.

http://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc...s-and-runners/
    And when do most deer hunters pull the trigger? Dusk/Dawn.

I'm covered with my lime-green jacket and blaze orange hat
    Last edited by DrL; 10-31-2017 at 15:13.

Dusk and dawn was when most hunters were getting shot accidently. Maine was getting 40 to 50 hunters being shot a year in hunting accidents. Changed the laws so half to be done hunting at sunset instead of a half hour after and required blaze orange and hunter safety courses. Maine just had our first fatality in four years this year. Quite a difference with some safety education and common sense rules.

Spring gobbler required no blaze orange.

It’s not triple 000 buck shot but a face full of #4 is no picnic!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Spring gobbler required no blaze orange.
    Red or blue are bad choices during turkey season (colors on a gobblers head). Wearing blaze orange while hiking in turkey season is a good idea.

You have to be one dumb mf hunter to A) Not know you are near a hiking trail and B) Just shoot at something "moving" without positive visual confirmation. I hike all the time, and see people even wearing camo, and have never once thought they were a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Red or blue are bad choices during turkey season (colors on a gobblers head). Wearing blaze orange while hiking in turkey season is a good idea.
    Yup..............

Journal Entries

I have seen several different approaches. One guy wore a blaze orange vest and had one wrapped around his pack that had a sign "I'm not a bear, deer or turkey. Second guy had the vest and the orange cap. Any the other guy wore a vest, an orange beanie and had a orange bicycle flag attached to his pack.
    Blackheart

I did sams gap to Hot Springs the past three days. I could hear shots and saw some hunters on four wheelers. On Saturday afternoon a pack of hunting dogs about drove me crazy barking for miles. I had on purple and did not feel like I was visible. I totally forgot about fall hunting season. My mistake. I was wishing I had on my bright orange shirt.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

My hat, my bandana, and my pack cover are all blaze orange. Hunting season or not, it's all the same clothes for me. Kind of simplifies things.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    You have to be one dumb mf hunter to A) Not know you are near a hiking trail and B) Just shoot at something "moving" without positive visual confirmation. I hike all the time, and see people even wearing camo, and have never once thought they were a deer.
    I do agree, however, there are dumb hunters out there.
    Thoreau

All I can say is wear lots of orange and be thankful they dont allow deer hunting using bazookas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++