WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cantarroso Farm and Apiary

Hello: I and three other hiking friends just returned from a section hike of the AT in Tennessee. We stayed at the hostel Cantarroso Farm in Irwin. It is situated between the railroad tracks and the Nolichucky River. They have two heated cabins and we stayed in the larger one known as Oza's. It was very comfortable for the four of us and is thoroughly outfitted. From the front porch there is a view of the mountains. Chickens wander around the property and a long row of bee hives are one of the first things you see when you start down the drive. There is access to the banks of the Nolichucky River where you can sit and enjoy the view of the rapids and the surrounding countryside. Mike and his wife are accommodating and conscientious.

I had a wonderful stay there a few years ago. I'd recommend Cantarroso as well.

I stayed there in June with excellent accommodations.Super nice folks and great views of the river with a shuttle to the trail.Quiet place to hang your hat.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Hello: I and three other hiking friends just returned from a section hike of the AT in Tennessee. We stayed at the hostel Cantarroso Farm in Irwin. It is situated between the railroad tracks and the Nolichucky River. They have two heated cabins and we stayed in the larger one known as Oza's. It was very comfortable for the four of us and is thoroughly outfitted. From the front porch there is a view of the mountains. Chickens wander around the property and a long row of bee hives are one of the first things you see when you start down the drive. There is access to the banks of the Nolichucky River where you can sit and enjoy the view of the rapids and the surrounding countryside. Mike and his wife are accommodating and conscientious.
    Never heard the Apairy, had to look it up, thanks for the new word.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Never heard the Apairy, had to look it up, thanks for the new word.
    But rocket, if'n yer gonna lern a new word, you gotta spel it write. It's apiary, not apairy.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    But rocket, if'n yer gonna lern a new word, you gotta spel it write. It's apiary, not apairy.
    Me smarty pants spell checks not as smart as it thinks, me either. Thanks illabelle.

Mr.....ugh!

Stayed there in 2015; it was an excellent experience. Mike and Peggy are good people. I plan on staying there on my way thru Irwin again this spring.

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

Stayed there in March of 2016. Great experience. Mike picked us up just across the river from Uncle Johnny's about 5 minutes after we called. Shuttle to dinner, laundry, and a clean, comfortable place to stay.

Mike ended up shuttling me to Indian Grave Gap the next morning for an easy slack back to Erwin. Then back to Indian Grave Gap on the next morning to continue my section hike northbound.

If you want a lively party scene, it's not the place for you. If you want a quiet place to recharge, it's perfect.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

++ New Posts ++