WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you prefer single or double walled tents?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Huh. Looks like hammocks are getting lighter. e.g. https://www.rei.com/product/115038/k...80150_dff91461

Now, something like this, sleep flat for two (instead of one) http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/bea...ridge-hammock/

But it looks like the technology is getting better and lighter.

Still not seeing ones that are lighter than a tent, allow for side sleeping, etc.

But I have seen enough to start looking some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I do wish that hammocks were lighter. I'd much more consider them if I could share a hammock for two with my wife and get less weight to carry too.
    Hammocks can be super light. Off the top of my head, ENO makes their Sub-7 which is a 7 oz hammock. I'm sure there are others. Combined with a light tarp you could easily have a sub 2 lb single-wall shelter system. Add a bug net to your hammock for another 1/2 pound and you still have a sub 3 lb, now double walled, shelter system. . . notice how I'm sorta staying on topic.

However, in the end, using the same tarp and a polycryo ground sheet, no, you will never be as light in a hammock as you can going to ground. BUT, the added weight of a hammock can be minimal, and compared to a tent, quite comparable or lighter depending on the tent. Maybe depending on whether the tent is double or single walled.

Finally, I've never met a hammock that was comfortable to two . . . okay, I've seen those suspended tent things that strap between three trees that might be quite nice for two, but . . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

IMHO,I’ve got about the lightest COMFORTABLE hammock setup for my six foot 215 pound frame: Dutch Half Zip Wide single layer 1.6 (with whoopies) 16.3oz, tree straps & toggles 4.6oz, Hammock Gear 12 foot Cuben Fiber tarp with doors 13.0 oz (includes rigging), for a grand total of 33.9 oz, compared to my Zpacks Duplex at 21.2 oz. That’s a difference of 12.7 oz. Not such a big deal for short to mid length trips, but for long hikes I definitely wanna go with the Duplex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Water weighs 8 lbs. per gallon. The more water one can avoid carrying, the lighter the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Water weighs 8 lbs. per gallon. The more water one can avoid carrying, the lighter the load.
    So, use Polycro tarps and ground cloths since they absorb less water?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++