WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Pad

Is anyone using the Therm-A-Rest RidgeRest SOLite Sleeping Padfor your pad and what do you think about it compared to a Neoair Xlite inflatable as far as comfort and heat retention on a cold ground?
    Thanks

Have used both pads extensively. Not really a very fair comparison. The NeoAir XLite is listed with a higher R value, but I would consider them comparable on cold ground. Both are great for 3-season stuff, neither is adequate for winter. Ridgerest is more consistent in that you can't sit on it and press your sit bones down into the cold like you can with an inflatable like the XLite. Ridgerest also can't get a hole in it and become useless.

As for comfort, it's kinda like comparing sleeping on a cement floor with sleeping on your bed. Not much comparison! Okay, slight exageration, the Ridgerest worked fine for me when I was under 40 years old and didn't have to sleep on my side. Ridgerest works great for a dedicated back sleeper. Ridgerest is totally and completely inadequate for a side sleeper, especially if they are over 40.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++