Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Registered User Mulungu's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-29-2012
    Location
    STELLENBOSCH south Africa
    Age
    61
    Posts
    114

    Default 2 hikers one phone

    Here is the problem
    one iPhone but both my wife and I would like to listen to the same audiobook while we walk.
    1 with no speaker or headphone the sound is two soft for both of us to hear
    2 we have tried extension cord and headphones but that is cumbersome
    3 blue tooth earbuds tend to only play in one ear so canít be split
    4 you can only conect one Bluetooth device at a time


    any ideas to help us both listen to the same audiobook
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

  2. #2
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,476
    Images
    3

    Default

    Why not buy a cheap used old phone, an Android would work fine, and load Audible (or whatever app you have) on that phone and just listen separately? You can coordinate when you listen so one doesn't get too far ahead.

    You do NOT need any service on this cheap 2nd phone, just use Wifi to load you app and content on it.

    Here's an example, $40 refurbished phone, should work great.

    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-T...%3A14674872011

    If you insist on an apple, here's one for $50:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFGKC92...ding=UTF8&th=1

    Not sure how you listen to audio books, we use "audible". You can load audible content on multiple devices, no sweat, no extra charge, we do it all the time.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2005
    Location
    Garner, NC
    Age
    55
    Posts
    621
    Images
    279

    Default

    Or use in IPod Shuffle. Weights almost nothing and clips on your clothes.

    Once I left one clipped to my clothes and threw it in the laundry. After going through washer and dryer, it came out still working fine (I did have to power it off and back on though).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Shuffle

    I see that Apple recently discontinued these. They are getting a little expensive on Ebay as a result.


    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Why not buy a cheap used old phone, an Android would work fine, and load Audible (or whatever app you have) on that phone and just listen separately? You can coordinate when you listen so one doesn't get too far ahead.

    You do NOT need any service on this cheap 2nd phone, just use Wifi to load you app and content on it.

    Here's an example, $40 refurbished phone, should work great.

    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SGH-T...%3A14674872011

    If you insist on an apple, here's one for $50:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFGKC92...ding=UTF8&th=1

    Not sure how you listen to audio books, we use "audible". You can load audible content on multiple devices, no sweat, no extra charge, we do it all the time.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2011
    Location
    Fairhaven, MA
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    Here is the problem
    one iPhone but both my wife and I would like to listen to the same audiobook while we walk.
    1 with no speaker or headphone the sound is two soft for both of us to hear
    2 we have tried extension cord and headphones but that is cumbersome
    3 blue tooth earbuds tend to only play in one ear so canít be split
    4 you can only conect one Bluetooth device at a time




    any ideas to help us both listen to the same audiobook
    during my thru hike we often listened to music using speakers strapped to the pack (we took turns). We would shut them off when passing others or getting near crowded spots (really near any other person) - they were not loud enough to hear unless you were within a certain close range. If we hiked with others, we always got their permission first before firing it up. Basic all around common courtesy stuff. Didn't use it all the time, but it was something we had and enjoyed.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yea, get another phone. A Tracfone will cost you as little as $30. Sometime as little as $20. You don't even have to activate it to use WiFi, but for another $20 you get 3 months of basic service which could come in handy. Say you get separated, you can call each other to find out where you each are.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

  6. #6
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,476
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    during my thru hike we often listened to music using speakers strapped to the pack (we took turns). We would shut them off when passing others or getting near crowded spots (really near any other person) - they were not loud enough to hear unless you were within a certain close range. If we hiked with others, we always got their permission first before firing it up. Basic all around common courtesy stuff. Didn't use it all the time, but it was something we had and enjoyed.
    With due respect Bobby, I think it's rude to have a speaker playing even at relatively low volumes on a trail that has anyone else anywhere near. If you're talking the AT, this would be essentially the entire AT almost all of the time. I know you said "really near any other person", but on the AT this would pretty much always be the case.

    Just my opinion. And I don't get too peeved about it, but I do think it is inappropriate.

    Great idea on the cheap phone with $20 service thing.

    My earlier point is I bet a lot of folks don't realize any old smart-phone works great WITHOUT any actual phone service, as a 2nd device for listening to music, books, 2nd camera, note taker, Jpeg-map viewer, whatever. And lightly used one are dirt cheap.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2011
    Location
    Fairhaven, MA
    Posts
    91

    Default

    don't know about you -but other than a few popular areas on the AT - I/we spent a lot of time alone. Some one can be a 1/4 mile from you and the fact is you may never know about them or meet them ever.

  8. #8
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,476
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    don't know about you -but other than a few popular areas on the AT - I/we spent a lot of time alone. Some one can be a 1/4 mile from you and the fact is you may never know about them or meet them ever.
    Again, no biggie, and just one man's opinion, but this IS an AT specific thread (class of 2018), and in my roughly 3000 miles along the AT, I've rarely been alone enough for a loud speaker to be appropriate. And along the AT most of the way, or at least a large percentage part of the way, you won't see a person coming from the other direction until he/she is vary close to you.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2011
    Location
    Fairhaven, MA
    Posts
    91

    Default

    ya - I'm talking about the AT (thru-hike). Not sure what's rude about it if it's not impacting anyone - pretty sure we don't have to be silent in the woods - like a library -I often talk with people while walking, I sing to myself(out loud) while walking. Basically just living life -it's OK to make some noise. But as stated, when encountering others - one tends to change behavior...Perhaps you're picturing some type of PA system? That's not what I talking about - they make personal speakers that are very small and you'd need to be within 10 feet to really hear (and enjoy)....basically conversational volume - not rock concert volume.

  10. #10
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,476
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    ya - I'm talking about the AT (thru-hike). Not sure what's rude about it if it's not impacting anyone - pretty sure we don't have to be silent in the woods - like a library -I often talk with people while walking, I sing to myself(out loud) while walking. Basically just living life -it's OK to make some noise. But as stated, when encountering others - one tends to change behavior...Perhaps you're picturing some type of PA system? That's not what I talking about - they make personal speakers that are very small and you'd need to be within 10 feet to really hear (and enjoy)....basically conversational volume - not rock concert volume.
    I hear ya (no pun intended!), just expressing an opinion on what I think is appropriate or not. If I passed you in the woods and you had your speaker going (because, say, I surprised you around a blind corner), I'd say hi and I'd ask what you're listening to (if it was a book) or I'd ask who that artist was (if it was a cool song I didn't recognize). I'd give you zero grief.

  11. #11
    Registered User colorado_rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-20-2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    64
    Posts
    4,476
    Images
    3

    Default

    By the way, in a kind of support for the OP, I listened to maybe 8-10 books along the AT, fantastic way to make those miles and hours melt away on the less interesting parts of the trail. I was really into the Jack Reacher series, 21 books total by Lee child, many of them pretty darn cheap on Audible, that is if you own them on Kindle already. I recently bought the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy, also fantastic trail-listening, really well done narration.

  12. #12

    Default

    I hiked with two other guys for almost 500 miles in New England. In the final two states we often would play music on one of our phones for a few hours a day in the remote areas. The middle guy had to have the phone or the other two hikers couldn't hear it, even if they were no more than 10 feet away. I was a little leery about it at first, but we usually only passed by no more than a handful of hikers a day. Hiking had become tough by that point and having the music was a huge pick me up for the three of us. If anyone else heard it, they didn't hear it for very long.

    Before I hear a lot of complaints, which I don't care about, I also recall countless incidents of hearing loud talking hikers that never would shut up on the trail that were a lot more annoying than some good music.

  13. #13

    Default

    1. Get a Bluetooth broadcaster that plugs into the 3.5mm headphone jack, provided your iPhone has one. Get a headphone jack splitter. Plug in a wired set of headphones and the broadcaster into the dual jack. One person needs wireless ear buds.

    2. Buy a truly wireless set of earplugs and you each get one. One ear is then able to hear the outside world and you could also talk to each other.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  14. #14

    Default

    3. This BT transmitter can actually broadcast to two devices https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...tter+4.1&psc=1 So I guess you could both have stereo with the regular wireless ear buds. That one is neat, it works both as a transmitter and a receiver.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

    Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-13-2017
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    By the way, in a kind of support for the OP, I listened to maybe 8-10 books along the AT, fantastic way to make those miles and hours melt away on the less interesting parts of the trail. I was really into the Jack Reacher series, 21 books total by Lee child, many of them pretty darn cheap on Audible, that is if you own them on Kindle already. I recently bought the complete Lord of the Rings trilogy, also fantastic trail-listening, really well done narration.
    Lee Child doesn't write nearly fast enough.

  16. #16
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2007
    Location
    Morganton, North Carolina
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,534
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    242

    Default

    Buy a iPod or iPod Touch
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer
    Falls Lake Trail: 2011

  17. #17

    Default

    External speaker

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-25-2017
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Age
    65
    Posts
    803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Buy a iPod or iPod Touch
    Lots of Apple shuffle type devices. Before there was an iPhone Apple had m3 players.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-20-2017
    Location
    Saint Johns, FL
    Age
    54
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    ....... I also recall countless incidents of hearing loud talking hikers that never would shut up on the trail that were a lot more annoying than some good music.
    yeah, probably a valid point about the loud talker....
    BUT how about loud talker compared to some really really BAD music....which of those would you prefer?remember, your "good" might really grate on someone else like fingernails on a chalkboard......yes music is really that polarizing. It's not like talking....or even loud talking.
    Some people like all sorts of different genres, but most don't.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    yeah, probably a valid point about the loud talker....
    BUT how about loud talker compared to some really really BAD music....which of those would you prefer?remember, your "good" might really grate on someone else like fingernails on a chalkboard......yes music is really that polarizing. It's not like talking....or even loud talking.
    Some people like all sorts of different genres, but most don't.
    I'm often times reminded of the SNL skit The Loud Family. I'm just astounded that two people right next to each other feel the need to converse at 80 dB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •