WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    We used the EE Accomplice 20deg the whole way. It's a double sized quilt for two people. The beauty of the quilt is that you can sick your feet out if it gets too warm, which it rarely did. We also had an Exped Synmat Hypelite Duo Pad. The combination worked perfect for us.
    I just noticed that the OP was looking for thoughts on a sleep system for a COUPLE, and this is exactly what we have, the Hyperlite Duo and the Accomplice.

THIS IS THE BEST SLEEP SYSTEM WE'VE EVER USED, BY FAR!

Sorry for the shouting, but I just cannot say enough good things about this setup. This is assuming you are "cuddlers" like my wife and I are. Some couples like their own space.

One negative: the original accomplice we got (20 deg) was a bit thin in down in the torso area, hence I don't think it was a true 20 degree bag. So I added 2.5 or so ounces of down. Very easy to do yourself, one small slit and a 1" diameter, 1 foot long piece of PVC pipe and a piece of 3/4" dowel rod to "plunge" the down in (you can reach all the torso area chambers from the one slit), then finally a small piece of Tenacious Tape to repair the slit, and you're done. If you want more details, I can provide.

Anyway, last spring on the AT we did have one 5 degree night, and together with a couple hot water bottles and wearing our UL down jackets to bed, we were plenty comfy in our 20 degree setup.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    We used the EE Accomplice 20deg the whole way. It's a double sized quilt for two people. The beauty of the quilt is that you can sick your feet out if it gets too warm, which it rarely did. We also had an Exped Synmat Hypelite Duo Pad. The combination worked perfect for us.
    If you don't mind me asking, when did you start and end. This sounds perfect as we have have looked at EE. We are starting April 15th and hoping to finish by October 01 at the latest.

Thanks a million Rob! we have not seen much input from couples, and this is awesome! We are still cuddlers ourselves, so this sounds perfect. I was really trying to decide between a quilt or bag, single or double and I like your suggestion. I was concerned about it getting to hot. We are leaving April 15th, and planning on being through by October 01st at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, when did you start and end. This sounds perfect as we have have looked at EE. We are starting April 15th and hoping to finish by October 01 at the latest.
    Same as your schedule. Worked great!

Colorado-rob and I have the same set up. Only issue I have is that I still can’t find the slow leak on her side of the air mattress.

As far as the 20*degree Accomplice, we use it all Summer, Spring and Fall, but switch to cold weather bags in Winter. We cuddle (my gf and I. Not Rob) and love our sleep system. Coldest is low teens. If its warm, its easy enough to stick out a leg, or arm, or roll down one side, or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    If the xlite is too noisy for you try the xtherm.....much quieter and just as comfortable and warmer.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly. I’ve slept on my Ctherm Large for 2 continuous months and 4+ months total. I don’t a sound from the Xtherm. The best sleep ever on the ground and very close to my bed at home.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Colorado-rob and I have the same set up. Only issue I have is that I still can’t find the slow leak on her side of the air mattress.

As far as the 20*degree Accomplice, we use it all Summer, Spring and Fall, but switch to cold weather bags in Winter. We cuddle (my gf and I. Not Rob) and love our sleep system. Coldest is low teens. If its warm, its easy enough to stick out a leg, or arm, or roll down one side, or the other.
    Someone on here, perhaps you (?) told me about this setup, and I'm very grateful.

Sorry about that leak... they have a 2-year warranty if you're still inside of that window. And have you checked for grit/dirt around the valve? I had a slow leak that turned out to be a dirty/sandy valve (not this pad, a thermarest).

Thanks egilbe. I feel a lot more comfortable ordering this now with the input from you and the others. Glad you clarified your cuddle partner, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Someone on here, perhaps you (?) told me about this setup, and I'm very grateful.

Sorry about that leak... they have a 2-year warranty if you're still inside of that window. And have you checked for grit/dirt around the valve? I had a slow leak that turned out to be a dirty/sandy valve (not this pad, a thermarest).
    we had an Accomplice and used two different air mattreses. Someone on here posted about the Hyperlite synmat Duo and within the hour it was on its way to our house. It is the perfect mat for the Accomplice. Its kinda scary thinking there is almost $1000 invested in a sleep system, but its so worth it.

Yup. We got the long duo pad and the long/wide quilt, and I sleep better with them than in my bed. I also stuff my puffy jacket in the brain of the Osprey pack and slide a buff over the whole thing for a great pillow!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Wearing a base layer to sleep in also adds warmth and helps keep things clean.

A base layer is an alternative to a liner.
    After many years of trial and error this is what I have settled on for most trips. I carry a 35 degree bag, synthetic insulated pants and a down coat. normally the 35 degree bag can get me through most nights, so I add the pants and coat as needed. Obviously the coat and pants pull double duty as they get used around camp too.

Also make sure to get a good insulating pad as that will make a huge difference. I have read a lot of complaints about the Neo-air, but I have an older one and it's not noisy at all...and I toss and turn a lot.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Here's my 2cents hope it helps

As for the loud air mattress go out and buy a can of the (as seen on TV) flex seal paint. Hold the can a couple feet above your fully inflated air mattress now spray away. You don't want to coat the entire mattress just want a billion or so miro-dots of the flex seal on the front and back of the mattress. This should significantly reduce the noise and pretty much stop you from sliding off your pad at night. You can also go lower tech and just smear some silicone (IE: bathtub cocking) on the mattress but IMHO I find flex seal to be easier and more effective.

As for quilts, some say 20 degree some say 40. I say split the difference and get a decent 30 degree. I would suggest taking a look at underground quilt UGQ. Get yourself a 30, add an ounce or two of extra fill if you feet get cold easy or you're a cold sleeper. Throw in a liner or use a bivy (like TI goat) now with clothing you can add or subtract articles bivy/liner/clothing and get through some pretty large temp swings. If you're on a budget I suggest you look at Aegismax gold sleeping bags for about $120 you can get 14 or 15 ounces of fill in a bag that's differential. Pretty good deal for the $$.
    You could also get yourself an Aegismax Windhard quilt. 10oz fill and weighs in at 15 ounces. Incorporate that into some sort of system (clothes/bivy/liner) and that might get you a long way on the AT. Staying cheap you could also make yourself a Tyvek bivey.

Enjoy your hike and remember HYOH, part of the fun is experimenting to find out what works for you.

we had an Accomplice and used two different air mattreses. Someone on here posted about the Hyperlite synmat Duo and within the hour it was on its way to our house. It is the perfect mat for the Accomplice. Its kinda scary thinking there is almost $1000 invested in a sleep system, but its so worth it.
    My concern is the hyperlite duo being durable enough. The regular duo is a pound more, but may it be worth it for the insurance of not having to replace it later?

Only issue I see with a dedicated 2 person sleep system is if one of you decides to quit which is quite common.....if the other wants to continue they’re carrying a lot of extra weight....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the hyperlite duo weighs less than two seperate air mattresses, but more than one. We have 40 or 50 nights on it since we bought it last year. One slow leak is the only problem we found with it.

Excellent point saltysack. My wife and I have been married over 20 years, and have only been separated a few times over that period due to work requirements. If one of us had to get off of the trail, we would both get off.

Thanks egilbe. I'm definitely going with the Exped duo that you recommended. While reading reviews on it, I saw were one person recommended the regular duo pad over the hyperlite duo pad because of the hyperlite being less durable and tearing easy. I understand this is a possibility with any of the ultralight equipment, I just don't want to be on the trail with a flat mattress. I'm just not sure I want to pay the extra pound penalty for a more durable pad, especially if the hyperlite pad has worked for others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++