WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.
    I found out how to download the maps on AllTrails, but I believe you are limited to their maps. If you want to go beyond them, then you need to get another program. Alltrails does allow for tracks, but again it is limited. Going to check out Wednesday though. Otherwise I'll get either Gaia or Backcountry.

@TX Aggie. Yep I'm going to get a battery charger. iPhones don't really allow an easy battery change. Too bad. But too late as I drank the Kool Ade long ago.
    I ended up getting the Anker Power Core 13000. It’s not that much heavier than the 10000,but has two ports just in case (I also charge my Apple Watch at night) I recently went on a 3 day hike and even with tracking full time on my phone, I was able to charge my phone roughly 3 Times, watch twice, and my daughter’s as well and still had half a charge on the Anker.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use Ramblr for tracking my hikes and trail maintenance documentation. US Topo Maps (Free) as my backup.

Hiking Project and Avena as my offline map references.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I used AllTrails today and was able to use offline. Seems limited, but for now is useful. Also helps you find the trailhead, which can be VERY useful.

Tennesse Viking, really like Hiking Project, but have more used this to plan hikes.

I found all trails very buggy, though it’s been a few years, perhaps I’ll give it another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I found all trails very buggy, though it’s been a few years, perhaps I’ll give it another shot.
    Well so far so good. But my observation, for whatever it's worth, is that it is limited. Useful for finding trails to hike on. I think I'd like to look into Gaia or Backcountry, because All Trails doesn't really teach me any new skills.

I’ve found I can’t just rely on one app. I use all trails and Hiking Project to find trails, Maps3D to do a rough draft of my route, and View Ranger or Gaia for my final route and tracking. Although I must admit the latest updates of Gaia have remedied many of the previous issues I’ve had with it. The nice thing about using my phone is I CAN switch between apps. With a dedicated unit, you’re stuck.

Sounds like you are a MUCH more serious hiker than I am TX Aggie. If I get that good... But I do want to learn something for all this.

We use Gaia GPS and it works really well. It's available for both Android and iPhone operating systems. If you are thinking about hiking one of the long-distance trails in US, Guthooks have really great apps that are made specifically for these trails and allow user input so you get a quite up to date information about conditions ahead of you.
    My book I Had a Dream, I Lived It is now available on Amazon. 1% of all 2018 sales will go to Pacific Crest Trail Association. http://goo.gl/pLfXMO Happy Trails!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++