WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you’re lonely and uncomfortable in your own skin in every day life you’ll bring that into the woods.

I prefer backpacking solo. Because of the length of the trips and miles covered it’s difficult to find someone who can keep up and get the time off. I’ve tried hiking with people during the day but I wind up talking to them and ignoring nature. I’d rather socialize at the end of the day with like minded individuals.

However I will hike with friends on weekends instead of doing the same trails over and over solo. And I tend not to do trips during the winter because of the extra hours in camp.

I also prefer to get up and out before others to have summits, viewpoints etc all to myself before the crowds arrive. I can appreciate others’ love of nature without being there with them.

Journal Entries

I rarely hike alone, and have never backpacked alone. It's not that I couldn't/wouldn't. It's just that I'm incredibly lucky to have a spouse who is willing to walk with me. And unlike those who hike "together" but at their own pace, meeting up at the end of the day, 90% of the time the two of us are within a few yards of each other.

I appreciate having someone with whom to share the hiking experience: the ups and downs, the effects of temperature/precipitation/wind, the leaves falling to the ground, the constant attention to foot placement, the physical challenges, the delight of a bright green mossy log, the quick glimpse of a wild animal, the sheer freedom of being out there. No matter how fabulous the scenery may be, photographs can't capture that experience. There's always something missing, something of significance. I can share a photo, but to share the experience, you have to put a pack on.
    -------
    What do I think about while hiking?

Believe it or not, I think about WhiteBlaze quite a bit while I'm hiking. I think about how to share the hiking experience on WB (because the folks here know what it means to put a pack on), what pictures to show, what memories to include. On our last trip I was going to put together a Tipi-style report about the "busted-nut climb" (pic w/ squirrel-chewed walnuts, hickory nuts, acorns on the ground), and my massive 230-pound pack (pic of my husband piggy-back, very briefly!). Would be fun/funny to put together, but I'll probably never get around to it...

On another hike I considered putting together an essay about The Under-Appreciated Tree. Up in Maine, we had emerged from tree cover in cold wind and rain to cross over an exposed area of low scrub. I was cold. The rain was coming sideways, hitting my cheek. After a few minutes we re-entered the woods to immediate relief! No wind. Rain negligible. Trees, even spindly ugly trees, are Shelter. Yes, their roots cover the trail and sometimes trip me or slow me down. But they hold the soil and rocks in place. Collectively, they hold the mountain in place, and seemingly, the world. Days later while flying home, I look down on the earth. It felt good to see great big wooded areas! Not so much to see population centers with trees confined to narrow strips along streams, streets, and edges of property. And I wonder how it is that we don't see the tree as Shelter. Somewhere I have a photo for this essay, taken as we were coming down from Chairback Gap. It's a young fir about a foot tall growing from the hollowed stump of a tree that was cut from the middle of the trail. It will inevitably be whacked into oblivion by the next maintainer to visit that section of trail, but I was impressed by its bravery.

Other times I may immerse myself in an imaginary scenario where civilization doesn't exist, and a small group of people are alone in an undeveloped world. They are faced with the task of re-populating, preserving what's left of the accumulated human knowledge, establishing an orderly civil society, mapping and navigating, cultivating food, etc. I contemplate how much hands-on knowledge has been lost over the years. Who knows how to make a stone axe? Who remembers enough about history and government to teach the next generation how to avoid tyranny? Who knows how to build a roof over a dugout? Who knows how to make paper? How do you teach people to memorize the landscape? Who can make durable rope or fabric? That vine, that tree, that berry, that stone, what is it, and what are its properties, and how could it be used?

What do I NOT think about while hiking?
    Work, chores waiting for me at home, Christmas shopping (uggh!), bills to pay, news & politics.

Thanks Illabelle for that really awesome look into what's going on between the ears while you hike. I really like your ideas on thinking through the best ways to share the experience. And I also appreciate you sharing the imaginary scenario! I do the same thing sometimes, and I wonder if a lot of people do too. I'll share one silly thing, which is that often when I'm eating something really tasty, I think about the people who I'd like to share it with, especially people who don't have enough to eat. I write little stories in my head about the people I'd meet and what their lives are like.

Lucky dude that you can hike with your wife. When my boys and I hike together, we always stick together, no matter what. I think that's sort of how I'm wired. I do a lot of bikepacking and running too. When the boys were younger, we did some triathlons together, and I slowed to their pace so we could finish together. Now their older and stronger and could kick my butt, but they stay with me, which is gratifying.

But that said, it's totally valid to hike your own hike. I mentioned earlier that individualism is a strength that I respect, and I really mean that. Individualism makes us stronger and more diverse.

This has been so helpful. I'm starting to think I am ready to so a solo in the next few weeks, though I'm also stoked that my brother is visiting from Connecticut this weekend and we're going to do a little hiking in Wisconsin.

I prefer to go alone, or with someone who doesn't need a babysitter. My main hiking partner is comfortable with me getting a few miles ahead or behind as long as we meet up for lunch and at the end of the day. I hike with a partner mainly to avoid the hassle of arranging a shuttle...we leave a car at each end of our hike...and these days I'm doing my hiking in an area where there aren't any/many service providers in the area, so arranging a shuttle is different and more expensive than what you find on the AT, if you can even find someone willing to do it.

I guess another advantage to the two car system is that you don't have to drive to the destination with your hiking partner. To be honest, part of what sounds unappealing about hiking with another dude (outside of my own family) is just getting there. I'd have to be pretty comfortable with someone to want to spend more than an hour in a car with them. That's literally like being in a tent with someone, complete with all the sounds, smells and dialogue.

I hike alone for the simple reason that I have no one to hike with.

Default Finding our own happiness

“Happiness [is] only real when shared” Jon Krakauer

I don't let Krakauer define happiness, or anything else, for me. I am often very, very, happy by myself, and equally as happy in the company of kindred spirits.

It's entirely appropriate for each of us to pursue happiness our own way, and to allow others to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post

I don't let Krakauer define happiness, or anything else, for me. I am often very, very, happy by myself, and equally as happy in the company of kindred spirits.

It's entirely appropriate for each of us to pursue happiness our own way, and to allow others to do the same.
    This, all day long!

+100

Having someone else dictate to you what makes you happy is the height of arrogance. If this is quoted out of context and the ideas before or after implied "for me," that is a different story.

I've backpacked solo, solo with my dog, and with other people and have been equally happy. If others need company to be happy while hiking, that's fine too.

Decision-making is easier when solo — I have to consult only one guy.

“Happiness [is] only real when shared” Jon KrakauerI don't let Krakauer define happiness, or anything else, for me. I am often very, very, happy by myself, and equally as happy in the company of kindred spirits.
    It's the same with gear. There's inevitably some DB who claims that "all you need is tent X, or bag Y, or boots Z".

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't let Krakauer define happiness, or anything else, for me.
    I don’t believe that is a direct quote from Krakauer.

Rather it is is what Christopher McCandless circled/wrote in the margins of Dr. Zhivago which was found with his dead body.

Probably not good for great literature define happiness either, but I can see why Krakaur included that finding in his own book. For me, Krakaur’s context made the McCandless/Pasternak quote all the more powerful.

I've never hiked with anyone but my wife, kids (5,7,9), and dog. With the dog it was just the dog and I. I'm only a few years and short miles into this sporting adventure. I've done a few solo hikes and solo camp hikes and enjoyed it very well. Two times i saw zero people on the trail and once i hiked early in the morning for a head start and found a burning flashlight on a rock step just before sunrise. I find it very fun and comforting as I too am a isolated to myself person by nature and because of my work hours away from family. My wife is lukewarm to hiking and ice cold to hiking to camp. It's out of her comfort zone and she doesent enjoy it like I do. I wish she'd get into it more because I enjoy going with her for company. I don't like to talk when I hike because i'm not in top shape and i have always had a hard time breathing during long exercises like running etc. I've taken my kids a half dozen times and i've camped on the hike with my boys 3 times on a one night camp about 6-7 miler. My oldest boy (almost 7) does well with it and enjoys it. My youngest boy (5) does great at the start then he fusses some, as expected. I have to lag back with him and let the oldest boy (middle child) get out and lead because thats what he likes to do. Overall they enjoy it and though at times in the hike the swear they'll never go again. We havent been since last Nov and they've been asking lately so it's getting time to take them. My daughter is not a fan especially overnight camping on the trail. She's done a few day hikes and has her moments. She's like her mom mostly.

I've rambled on and on but to the original poster I wish to do more hiking but struggle too with trying to meet up with people i dont know on the trail. My friends dont have time and i'm finding I dont have as much time for it as i would like. I have to go on weekdays when i'm off work. The obvious problem is there is nobody to go with then. I'm not a people person or good at striking conversation, nor do i like it often. I often worry over safety taking my boys with just me and going alone without them or anyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++