WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Journal Entries

I was curious ... and found this old thread about Moore Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    That's an awesome looking map. I've been hiking in GSMNP for 25 years now and have never seen a map like that. Would love to be able to see a full scan of it... similar to the full PDF of the current trail map.
    So, a conundrum. A version small enough to upload here is probably not very useful. So here's a taste:

GSMNP-1976-JonesPubAsheville-1000.png

And here's the link to the full 300dpi, 10,000 pixel wide, 118mb scan:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19OT...ew?usp=sharing

The original is 34in x 23in in case you want to print it at your local copy center.

I'll work on the reverse (mostly descriptions of campsites) next week.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnacraft View Post
    And here's the link to the full 300dpi, 10,000 pixel wide, 118mb scan:
    Thanks for the scan. In some ways it's pretty cool to see what the park used to be like...
    But at the same time it makes me sad to see how many trails and fire towers have been lost over the years.

Images

many thanks....

and yeah............this one shows some closed down ones that ive always wanted to do---like the thunderhead manway....

its a good resource along with the one i sent ya, HooKooDooKu

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    this one shows some closed down ones that ive always wanted to do---like the thunderhead manway....
    My wife and followed the Lumber Co. right of way up Thunderhead Prong to Long Creek last December, and I put this one on my to-do list. The first photo is crossing Thunderhead Prong, the second shows the manway on the way to Long Creek, the third shows the stone abutments at Long Creek.

thunderhead2.jpg

thunderhead1.jpg

IMG_20161230_103710.jpg

IMG_20161230_103128.jpg

IMG_20161230_102617.jpg

Images

yeah...

ive had a couple of friends take it to the top..

one of those guys is on this forum so maybe he will chime in about his experience...

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    I also have the 1972 Sierra Club Blue Book and a first edition of Ken Wises book with manways described and such.
    I have the Wise book. Fantastic descriptions and history. Imminently readable. There was a second edition that I found in eBook but I have not gotten that one. Here is a link to used copies of the first one available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Trails.../dp/0870499149

The Little Brown Book is a better trail and information guide, but the details and history in the Wise book are like a geographically organized version of Kephart's "Our Southern Highlanders".

Images

There was a second edition that I found in eBook but I have not gotten that one.

the second edition really didnt have many changes from the first....

when the second one came out about 2 or 3 years ago maybe, i did a side by side comparison and found maybe 2 or 3 things different...

not enough so that i would buy the second edition (i had a library copy) since i had the first....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    here's some pictures of some of the old shelters..
    http://diglib.lib.utk.edu/cgi/i/imag...l&c=rth;g=gsmc
    That entire collection is amazing. Thanks for posting it.

Anyone have any more stories or info about Moore spring?

Where did it get its name?

So the forest boys will live up at the spring for weeks at a time to do maintenance and hunt invasive species? Dream job...

I wonder what kind of shelters and gear they use..

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    So the forest boys will live up at the spring for weeks at a time to do maintenance and hunt invasive species? Dream job...

I wonder what kind of shelters and gear they use..
    Given the tarp I've seen setup at the old shelter site (like a 12'x16' 8' off the ground), I'm guessing during milder weather, they sudo-cowboy camp (where the tarp keeps the morning dew off them). Otherwise, a fire ring of stones is the only evidence of anyone staying their.

I have been wanting to hike Rabbit Creek/Hannah Mountain in the counter clockwise direction for some time. Today is the day! Hannah is one of the nicest trails in the Smokies.

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Anyone have any more stories or info about Moore spring?

Where did it get its name?
    I've wondered about this in the past as well... was never able to come up with anything via Google-Fu. It's interesting that the creek is named after the spring. I wonder if Moore was one of the old sheepherders. anyone have a photo of the rock carvings near the summit?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    It's interesting that the creek is named after the spring. I wonder if Moore was one of the old sheepherders.
    The herders were mostly residents of Cades Cove. There's no one named Moore listed as a recipient of the original land grants, or in records of property conveyed to the NPS.

The area around Moore Spring(s), if I understand correctly, was purchased in 1853 by a partnership of four Cove residents (Russell Gregory, Dan Foute, John Coffin and Richard Wilson), and Gregory is said to have lived in a cabin he built near Rich Gap for a few years. Gregory and Foute died during the Civil War, and the land was sold to a lumber company (Kitchin, Kitchen, or Kitchens, depending on the source).

moore.jpg

The NPS conducted interviews of Cove residents about the balds, and Fonze Cable and Asa Sparks were among the last herders. They are fascinating reading. One mentioned that the lumber company logged to within a half mile or so of the state line. The lower part of the Wolf Ridge trail looks like it was logging railroad roadbed, and where the trail leaves Moore Springs Branch to follow Dalton Branch, it looks like the roadbed continues up Moore Springs Branch (which might be a fun day's exploration).

So I think it's more likely the namesake Moore was either associated with the lumber company, or with the efforts to create the Park (a la Mount Kephart or Charlie's Bunion).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++