WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need some shuttle recommendations

Can't find anyone to shuttle me from Newfound Gap back to Fontana. I am looking for May 13th, 2018. Anyone have any leads? Thank you.

Images

i could be reading too much into it, but you're phrasing suggestions you're looking to hike from fontana to newfound gap and then get a ride "back to" fontana post hike.

while i dont necessarily agree with the reasoning behind it, the reality is most shuttlers do not want to operate in this fashion. that could be why youre having trouble.

the other issue may be that may is just too far off.

Totally screwed this up, I meant Davenport to Fontana. I can't even find any numbers of emails to contact.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There's been plenty of threads over the years on WB getting shuttles between Newfound Gap and Fontana... but because of the distance involved, it's going to be a $$$ shuttle ride, because depending upon where the shuttle driver is stationed, it can be an all-day shuttle to go from home to New Found Gap to Fontana and back home.

I'm guessing that if tdoczi is reading your plan correctly, I'm assuming that you don't want to park at New Found Gap and then shuttle to Fontana is because you want to get to Mollies Ridge Shelter that same day. If I'm correct, then you might want to simply add an extra day and spend the 1st night at either the Fontana Hilton or CS#113.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Have you looked through the WB shuttle driver list for contacts?

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/shuttles-2017.php
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

if the OP has asked the hike inn and they said they cant do it, it is likely for the reason ive suggested.

if he hasnt asked the hike inn yet one has to wonder just who he has asked.

if im reading the post correctly and hes looking to be shuttled post hike back to fontana, and he is indeed going to davenport gap, standing bear is probably a better bet but a) getting them on the phone might be tricky and b) i wouldnt be surprised if they wont come pick you up at davenport gap. if thats the case, just hike the extra couple miles.

it took me awhile to figure it out, but for better or worse in order to not struggle with finding shuttles you really have to play the game by their rules a lot of the time. if you try and insist otherwise a great many of them will tell you no.

the especially frustrating thing is many wont say say "sorry we only shuttle hikers before their hike" or "we dont pick up there, can you come to us?" they'll just say no.

again, not saying i agree with their reasoning.

Images

For the right price---I could be convinced to do it...

Journal Entries
    Images

Call "A Walk in the Woods" they're great folks and their prices are reasonable. Unless you can talk someone on here into getting it done for you. I put out a query last spring for a shuttle from Pearisburg VA to Damascus and was able to set something up very reasonably.

El Sordo
    Images

try Standing Bear Farm. They are by Davenport Gap and that shuttle is well within their range.
    Dyslexics Untie!

OK, I have changed my plans to park at the ranger station at Davenport and be shuttled to Fontana to start my hike. I sent out some e-mails to the suggested parties and will see what I can come up with. Thank you.

Leonidas

Might want to look at getting shuttled from the I-40 exit near Standing Bear. May cut the shuttle cost down as they get to avoid the road to Davenport Gap.

If it is cheaper, I would park at the ranger station then hike to the interstate NOBO by taking the trail up to the AT. This way you don't miss any trail after the ranger station trail junction.

The other option, pay to park at Standing Bear. Shuttle from there to Fontana Dam and hike back to the car. This puts you at ~74 miles for the trip.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Might want to look at getting shuttled from the I-40 exit near Standing Bear. May cut the shuttle cost down as they get to avoid the road to Davenport Gap.
    The OP is talking about parking at the Ranger Station NEAR Daveport Gap, not the Gap itself. But still, you're talking about a distance of less than 4 miles for a shuttle that is about 100 miles. I don't think it would make a significant difference in cost (and I'd be more comfortable parking my car at the Ranger Station rather that just of the interstate).

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The OP is talking about parking at the Ranger Station NEAR Daveport Gap, not the Gap itself. But still, you're talking about a distance of less than 4 miles for a shuttle that is about 100 miles. I don't think it would make a significant difference in cost (and I'd be more comfortable parking my car at the Ranger Station rather that just of the interstate).
    Correct, the difference is the ease of pickup potentially at the interstate exit or Standing Bear over driving back to the ranger station. Might make a price difference, it might not.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Call "A Walk in the Woods" they're great folks and their prices are reasonable. Unless you can talk someone on here into getting it done for you. I put out a query last spring for a shuttle from Pearisburg VA to Damascus and was able to set something up very reasonably.
    Call a walk in the woods. I have used them multiple times.
    Standing bear farm is another option. It IS a long shuttle, possibly an all day event. I would say $240-$300
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I scored a ride with AWIW for $185. Thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TSWisla View Post
    I scored a ride with AWIW for $185. Thank you everyone.
    Sounds about right, definitely a fair price. I think they charged 4 of us $120 to go from davenport to Newfound gap.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++