WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

When you start out in the morning, hike for 5 or 10 minutes and then stop to take off some layers. Otherwise you will sweat in all of your clothes and they will be wet when you finish at the end of the day. When you stop to take a break, you'll know when the break is over because you will start to get cold. I've often done winter backpacking trips where I never once put my gloves on. You won't be cold if you have enough food and you keep walking.

It sounds counter intuitive, but make sure your base layer is a moisture wicking shirt, such as Heat Gear, or at least a lightweight winter equivalent. NO COTTON T-shirt against your skin.
    The main reason is as precisely mentioned you want to keep from sweating, but if you do sweat you want that moisture off of you, pronto. Additionally, even in colder weather these type shirts still have a good chance at drying out in the morning. Cotton won’t.
    Also, sequester camp/sleeping clothing from hiking clothing. Especially on multi-day hikes this will insure that you’re going to sleep dry each day. If you have to put wet clothes back on in the morning, you’re still better off because you will at least end the day with dry clothes on.

My $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done calisthenics in my sleeping bag (because I'm weak & lazy!), but if I am even a little chilled when I get into my bag (and for me that can happen even in relatively mild evening temps, like the 40s if I've just been sitting around and not active, even sitting around a fire...) I will just give my thighs, buttocks, and arms a good vigorous rubdown. This gets blood moving to those areas and I warm up nicely after a few minutes -- all without breaking a sweat!

Also, I sleep with (not in) my hiking clothes in my bag at night. It is brutal to put on frozen clothes in the morning! (I also sleep with my gas canister, phone, headlamp, and Steri-pen.) I unlace my boots WIDE open, because they are going to be stiff and maybe frozen laces in the morning.

I will fill a nalgene with hot water and insulate it with socks, but after one minor leak once I don't like to bring it into my bag. I will invert them and put them in my boots though.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

In your neck of the woods don't just go by the standard forecast of outside temp gotta be well aware of windchill even much more so if there's rain or any moisture in the air.

Here are some suggestions that may help

1. Try wearing pair of womens nylons or runners tights.
    2. Deluxe Boston Electric Ignite Metal Pocket Hand Warmer - reuseable.
    3. Fine wool Throw/scarf has many uses IE: mini blanket/towel/neck-head/ear warmer
    4. If the cool wind bothers your ears and a hat is too warm you may want to consider a light pair of ear muffs.
    5. For wet shoes Extra pair of dry wools socks and extra pair of shoe insoles (you can get lightweight wool insoles) The extra socks can double as glove/mits
    6. Newspaper to stuff inside your wet shoes to speed up drying.
    7. A beloved pet or someone to spoon with. Just make sure the pet has some weather protection.

8. Most importantly a good cell phone with a map of the area and family/friends are aware of your plans and return date/time.

Have fun

Heads up!
    Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. Asked this question earlier. Much earlier. Like a month ago.
    I hope your overall planning was thought out sooner than this last minute question.
    Be warm. Be dry. Be safe.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You realize how long the night is in the Winter.
    There's nothing better than 16 hours in the tent!

One more thing: a pee bottle.

AM FM radio is nice for short daylight camping

Thom

You definitely want enough gear to cover all exposed skin. I carried a lightweight balaclava for most of the AT and used it on occasion. For most folks when hiking you need breathable layers and your skin covered and that is about it. If its windy add a wind shell that you can ventilate. Once you stop hiking even for few minutes you need to put on a layer over your core and a warm hat. Dont wait too long as once you have chilled it takes a lot longer to warm up. One thing that trips up most folks is eating lunch, your body only has so much warm blood, while hiking your stomach is in idle so the blood is going out to your extremities to keep you warm. The second you eat something, the stomach goes out of idle and starts using blood and that is routed away from your hands and feet. Pounding down a big meal will inevitablly cause you to really start to freeze in few minutes and it takes a lot to warm up. The far better alternative is to graze easy to digest snacks frequently that you can eat on the run. Save the big meals for supper. Speaking of supper you also need to up your calories, the colder it is the more fat you want. Talk to seasoned winter campers and they are always adding fats to meals to increase calories. Some even carry squeeze parkay and add a squirt to every meal.

Boots can be problem, ideally you need boots that are slightly large to fit in heavier socks or possible toe warmers. If you dont have the space in the boot to fit extra socks then extra socks really dont help unless you rotate them out along the day.

Remember water bottles and hydration systems can freeze if its below freezing. If you are cold, filling a Nalgene type bottle with near boiling water make a nice foot warmer. Just make sure its seals tight and some folks put it inside of ziplock.

Ideally leave the self inflating pads home and switch to a standard foam pad.

If you are new to it realize that its steep learning curve and especially solo the first thing that goes when hypothermia is kicking in is your mind. Realize if the weather is worse than expected you may have to bail out. Ideally its best to camp out in the backyard and try the gear out to get things dialed in first.

Another odd thing is in cold weather the relative humidity of the air is quite low. You will be putting a lot of moisture in the air in your breath and if your layers are working you still may be perspiring quite a bit but the cold dry air will dry you out. The combination of the two means many folks dont drink enough and electrolyte imbalance is easy. I get more leg cramps in the winter after hiking then the summer. They really suck when you are all warm in sleeping bag. Keep track of your fluid intake and make sure you drink enough and use an electrolyte supplement if you need it.

One more thing: Travel with a companion so you can monitor each other for signs of hypothermia. The only time (in many years of winter camping) I got slightly hypothermic, I did not notice, and my son sent me to my sleeping bag while he cooked dinner. If you are alone, relentlessly self monitor.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Technically, it ain’t winter yet.
    If you did start this morning and you can read these posts you aren’t nearly far enough back in the woods. Or you’re at Walmart shopping for things mentioned above.
    Have a great trip.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

Another odd thing is in cold weather the relative humidity of the air is quite low. You will be putting a lot of moisture in the air in your breath and if your layers are working you still may be perspiring quite a bit but the cold dry air will dry you out. The combination of the two means many folks dont drink enough and electrolyte imbalance is easy. I get more leg cramps in the winter after hiking then the summer. They really suck when you are all warm in sleeping bag. Keep track of your fluid intake and make sure you drink enough and use an electrolyte supplement if you need it.
    This point can’t be overemphasized. You may not be sweating, but since your body has to warm and humidify cold air, it’s not uncommon to expel as much or more moisture through normal breathing than through heavy perspiration. You won’t necessarily need as much water as during mid summer, but you’ll still need a liter or two daily at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you are going up and down hills, your body work rate will change significantly. With the same set of clothing, you might perspire going up the hill and get chilled on the way down. Within a certain range, I found I could regulate my perspiration and body comfort by adding and removing my hat and gloves. They are a whole lot easier to remove and put on than a jacket/sweatshirt or pants. Have a great hike. Winter hiking is quite peaceful. Not many people out there, but that means fewer people to assist if you get in trouble. Be safe and smart.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You realize how long the night is in the Winter.
    That's ^ what I was thinking immediately.
    Good book, headlamp and batteries, and definitely a good sleeping bag.
    Balaclava and possible goggles if it's windy.
    Have fun.
    Wear some orange, it's hunting season (bear) in PA, don't know about NJ but their similar seasons I believe.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Yes... when hiking in the cold, don't allow yourself to sweat.
    This is the key, but very hard to do. As others said, taking off/putting on a hat is useful. Also unzipping/zipping jacket or fleece to can help. I sometimes pull of my gloves, or switch to very light weight fleece gloves. I find the hardest part to be staying warm, but not sweating when caught in a strong wind and temps in the teens or lower.

When you take in some water or a bite of food, you can feel yourself warm up, so keep sipping and eating as you go. I heat up water (or make tea) and keep it in an insulted bottle, and throw it into an old wool sock. It will stay warm longer than you think.

Keep moving slow and steady and you will stay warm. As soon as you stop for a break, through on the down jacket and hat -- you will cool down really fast.

Microspikes help a lot with traction.

Recognize that the margin for error is smaller and the temp goes down. Know how to recognize hyperthermia and deal with it. I also carry a Spot in case you need to call in SAR.

Winter hiking is my favorite. No humidity, bugs, more solitude (though you will probably be surprised by how many other people are out in the cold), and better views without leaves on the trees. Have a great hike

One additional thing to keep on top of in cold weather hiking is hydration. Cold air, even if damp, when heated up to body temperature ends up with a very low relative humidity. You're losing a substantial amount of moisture from your body with every exhalation. At the same time, cold suppresses your thirst. You need to remind yourself to keep drinking as you hike. Scrum's suggestion of sipping from a big container of warm tea as you walk is good advice.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tootsie Rolls and peanut butter. It saved me from a nasty bit of hypothermia once.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Tootsie Rolls and peanut butter. It saved me from a nasty bit of hypothermia once.
    I seem to remember a tootsie roll, or maybe it was a peppermint in my T&S Time goody bag...it hit the spot.

One other thing is make sure the food you carry can be eaten in cold weather or is kept where it can stay warm. Cliff Bars may not freeze but unless they are chopped up into small pieces in advance, the are just about impossible to bite pieces off a bar. Its pretty easy to test snack foods in advance, throw it in freezer, let freeze and then eat it directly out of the freezer.

If the snack is bite sized, you can thaw out in your mouth but ideally you want something that doesnt freeze. Nuts works well and sugar does not freeze so hard candy works well. Trying to chew tootsie rolls will rip fillings out when they are cold.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-19-2017 at 11:37.

Good advice on frozen food!

Yes, get the "fun size" or "bite size" Sinckers, Milky Way, etc, remove the wrappers and put them in a ziploc. As long as they stay cold they won't stick together. Power Bars are hard as a brick so you have to put them in an inside jacket pocket or under your hat for a while to warm them up.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++