WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice on Section to hike with wife

I am going to be hiking a section of the AT in early April with my wife and would like to get others' opinions on which section would be best. First of all, my wife is not a hiker but runs, etc. and is in good shape. I've got light weight gear for her to use during our hike. We're going to be getting out some in the next few weeks to do some hiking as well. I've hiked alot of smaller trails and section hiked the AT's Smokies section last summer. The criteria is basically that we have 4 days and it needs to be close enough to middle TN to drive there and still have time to hike. I'm looking at the Davenport Gap to Hot Springs section, Shenandoah NP, or possibly something down Georgia way. Looking for advice and opinions taking into account distance, trailheads to park/shuttle, etc....... THANKS!!

Grayson Highlands/Mount Rogers area.

Davenport to Hot Springs is a good one. Pretty big climb up Snowbird out of the gap but not the monster the topo makes it out to be. L.Wolf's Mount Rogers suggestion cant be beat withyour time restraints.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I agree with this as a first choice. If you choose Virgiina, though, don't head all they way up to SNP, do the section leading into Roanoke with Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. A fine stretch.

Pearsburg, Va to Mountain Lake is an interesting 3 day hike, car to car. Carry plenty of water for the 2nd day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rich
    I agree with this as a first choice. If you choose Virgiina, though, don't head all they way up to SNP, do the section leading into Roanoke with Dragons Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. A fine stretch.
    I second this...Also, try to work the Homeplace restaurant in Catawba into your schedule. They are open Thursday - Sunday and about a mile from the crossing at 311.

I hope to be doing the Mount Rogers area sometime in early March.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BMRisko
    I second this...Also, try to work the Homeplace restaurant in Catawba into your schedule. They are open Thursday - Sunday and about a mile from the crossing at 311.

I hope to be doing the Mount Rogers area sometime in early March.
    Cookeville, TN! It's been over 15 years since I spent time there. Is Bobby Q's still open? Half sweet tea, half lemonade.

Default Bobby Q's

Bobby Q's is still open and still good food. I haven't tried the lemon fruit tea yet but quite a few of my coworkers have. We try to get there a couple of times a month.

-Riddick

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    If you wanted an nice easy section hike you could get a shuttle up from Damascus and have a nice hike back down. Any section of SNP is nice and could make a good 1st hike too.
    Kevin

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

I always like the section from Deep Gap around to Winding Stair Gap. No worries about shuttling a car, you can park it in the middle and hike around back to it. Easy sections with a treat on the last day of going over Mt. Albert!
    Papa John

Images

i definetly agree grayson highlands is the nicest and diversified settings ive seen

You can't go wrong with Grayson Highlands.

I agree if going to VA. Roanoke area, dragons tooth, McAffee, and Tinker Cliffs. Great views, not to difficult hiking. Taking my daughter there this summer for her first AT venture. Can sometimes be "dry" during summer, you should not have a problem with water in April. Have a great hike wherever you end up........

Images

The Davenport gap to Hot spring is a really nice hike. I really liked hiking on Max Patch. When you get into Hot Springs you should hit the springs its a nice way to end the hike.

Images

Default Section hiking with Wife

[QUOTE=utley]I am going to be hiking a section of the AT in early April with my wife and would like to get others' opinions on which section would be best. QUOTE]
    Not that any of these would be best but I have a thread with 4 or 5 of section hikes I have done with my wife which fit in the requirements you listed. They are found in the Member's Forum and Trip Reports section. This is the one I would recomend of the sections we've done.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2952

A word of warning, the Georgia sections will be crowded in early April. Good luck and enjoy your hike wth your wife.
    Uncle Wayne

++ New Posts ++