WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear deals around this time of year

I am in need of replacing some gear, with a tent being priority one. Based on past experiences, I prefer the smaller, independent gear makers. Are there any really good deals to be had around the holidays ??. Again I prefer the "little guy" but have purchased from REI, Backcountry, etc as well. Thanks in advance.

Because the "little guy" does not produce in volume and typically have small profit margins, it's not likely you will find any of their stuff at a really good deal.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

zPacks and Enlightened Equipment both have sales on right now. I have gear from both of them - very high quality American made products. The cottage gear makers typically don't have sales except around the holiday season.

Images

Currently on sale through the 27th...

Zpacks = $25 off orders $400 and more, $100 off orders $1000 and more
    Enlightened Equipment = 15% off on the shelf Revelations, 10% off everything else
    Gossamer Gear = 10-40% off

EMS, REI and most other outdoor stores have deals going on. This is the time of year to find the best deals until next spring (when online stores are looking to dump the last of last year's inventory). Amazon also has lots of odds and ends on sale right around now. If anyone is looking for a battery pack for their electronics, this is the time of year to find the deals.

If I didn't already have too many, I would absolutely buy a pack or 2 from Gossamer Gear right now. The price on the Gorilla is a great deal, IMO.

I have purchased a lot from Moosejaw and Backcountry. I got our BA Copper Spur UL3 from Backcountry Edge- Reg. $499, I got it for $373!. Moosejaw has about 35% off a lot of their stuff, and I ordered a quilt from Enlightened Equipment for 10% off.

Picked up a nice long long handled spoon from my local Asian supermarket, decent size bowl on it, high polish finish, didn’t cost $15 dollars for spaceship titanium...even has shamrocks and 4 leaf clovers on it, and it came with a matching set of clip sticks. Shot score!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Picked up a nice long long handled spoon from my local Asian supermarket, decent size bowl on it, high polish finish, didn’t cost $15 dollars for spaceship titanium...even has shamrocks and 4 leaf clovers on it, and it came with a matching set of clip sticks. Shot score!
    yes, you saved some coin...but what about the cost of your time? Since it's not titanium how much time will you spend drilling holes in it? You failed to include that in your calculations. Opportunity cost.

Leonidas

Lightheart gear has a sale on their tents as well, might want to check them out.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Spoon? The UL thing to do is to buy a Deuce of Spades trowel and use it also as a spoon - dual use.

But seriously, Deuce of Spades is a nice piece of gear - I got a cheap one and sometimes they have sales. You can buy a specifically U.S. made one too http://thetentlab.com/Deuce/orderDeuce.html. Good stocking stuffer for a hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    yes, you saved some coin...but what about the cost of your time? Since it's not titanium how much time will you spend drilling holes in it? You failed to include that in your calculations. Opportunity cost.
    Nah, I’m done playing the “cut the handle” off the tooth brush game, my back hurts anyway, so what’s the difference?...about three ibuprofen.

The 4 leaf clovers sealed the deal, I love me new lucky spoon!
    9D403FD1-5E56-4F80-8319-757112E769E4.jpeg

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Lightheartgear.com is offering 10% and some earlybird 20% off discounts.

EMS has black friday deals including 40% off their down jackets:
    https://www.ems.com/f/cms-full-width...aleLP_Apparel_
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Because the "little guy" does not produce in volume and typically have small profit margins, it's not likely you will find any of their stuff at a really good deal.
    couldn't be further from the truth.

here is a nearly exhaustive list of a bunch of gear sales: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/...ef_source=link

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post

here is a nearly exhaustive list of a bunch of gear sales: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/...ef_source=link
    oh thank you!!!!! One vendor that I had hoped to buy from made the list. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You just sent me trail magic on the interwebs. Did I say thank you?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Based on past purchases, I'd say the best time to look for discounts is between Christmas and Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Based on past purchases, I'd say the best time to look for discounts is between Christmas and Easter.
    presidents weekend sale is usually a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post

Thank you again. Just ordered a tarptent just like my old one which has been retired after many years and miles.

Source water equipment is 20% off everything and on their facebook page on Friday they are going to list some 60% off items. https://www.facebook.com/SourceOutdoor/
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I just ordered a Timberline Eureka from Sunnysports for $136, including shipping, to replace the one I've been using since 1981. That's $50 less than Amazon or Campmor. Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry.com are also good sites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++