WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    much ado over nothing. it's a non-issue. you either recreate in the outdoors or you don't. nobody is stopping anyone from enjoying the outdoors. bucncha middle class white folks thinkin' they know why folks don't walk in woods. phhttttt
    Lol, exactly!

Journal Entries
    Images

I, for one, applaud clubs like the AMC and ATC that recognize the obvious lack of minority participation in things that have been such a big part of the lives of so many on Whiteblaze, then take extra steps to reach out.

Seems neighborly.

Not sure why some are so defensive — if a writer doesn’t make her points just right, so what.

The bigger picture is far important than winning points in some imaginary debate with a writer on a deadline.

Years ago, there were not all that many people who hiked the length of the AT — less than 1000 up to the early 80s.

Now close to 20,000 have — of all ages, backgrounds and physical abilities. Somewhere, a critical mass was reached that let a whole lot of people know they too can give a thru hike a shot, that it is not something reserved for people somehow different from them. This is an amazing evolution.

That thoughtful people and organizations are interested in extending a hand to less represented groups, so that those groups might obtain their own critical mass in the context of outdoor recreation, that’s a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I, for one, applaud clubs like the AMC and ATC that recognize the obvious lack of minority participation in things that have been such a big part of the lives of so many on Whiteblaze, then take extra steps to reach out.

Seems neighborly.

Not sure why some are so defensive — if a writer doesn’t make her points just right, so what.

The bigger picture is far important than winning points in some imaginary debate with a writer on a deadline.

Years ago, there were not all that many people who hiked the length of the AT — less than 1000 up to the early 80s.

Now close to 20,000 have — of all ages, backgrounds and physical abilities. Somewhere, a critical mass was reached that let a whole lot of people know they too can give a thru hike a shot, that it is not something reserved for people somehow different from them. This is an amazing evolution.

That thoughtful people and organizations are interested in extending a hand to less represented groups, so that those groups might obtain their own critical mass in the context of outdoor recreation, that’s a good thing.
    Hiking/outdoor recreation is just like any activity: those involved think it’s great and want to encourage others to try it as well. That’s a great goal to have, you’re only trying to share your experience in an effort for others to find enjoyment in it as well.

The issue comes when “someone” decides that the right/wrong people do this activity too much or not enough. They try on one hand to separate people out based on genetic, cultural, economic differences, then in the next great claim there’s a problem because everyone doesn’t participate in equal (fair) proportions.

It’s ludicrous, and frankly overtly offensive, even racist and hypocritical. And it all starts because one person decides it’s a “problem.”

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    It’s ludicrous, and frankly overtly offensive, even racist and hypocritical. And it all starts because one person decides it’s a “problem.”
    yup, saved me from having to say it. thanks.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone and everyone is welcome on the trails and in the woods. However, things are crowded enough already - I'm not going to actively encourage any more people of any size, shape, religion or color to go in.

I'm also not going to feel bad or apologize for being born white, having good parents, and working my tail off for what I have - which includes 2 very used Subarus.

agree........

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, anyone and everyone is welcome on the trails and in the woods. However, things are crowded enough already - I'm not going to actively encourage any more people of any size, shape, religion or color to go in.

I'm also not going to feel bad or apologize for being born white, having good parents, and working my tail off for what I have - which includes 2 very used Subarus.
    To quote a line from one of my favorite artists:

Who knows, maybe we’ll convert all those city folks into country folks, and they’ll all move out to the country.
    Then the country won’t be country anymore.

This has been a problem for years and years and is just now, thankfully, coming to light. I only wish the royalty of the trail, Thru-hikers, would step up and address this problem. We could donate good, (not used) gear to inner-city schools and develop programs to encourage participation in outdoor pursuits, as well as provide transportation to State & National Parks for the purposes of hiking with long distance hikers/experts who could lead by example....who wouldn't enjoy showing an underpriviledged child his first turtle or waterfall?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    The issue comes when “someone” decides that the right/wrong people do this activity too much or not enough. They try on one hand to separate people out based on genetic, cultural, economic differences, then in the next great claim there’s a problem because everyone doesn’t participate in equal (fair) proportions.
    More like an opportunity.

There are a a lot of activities that are more popular with one demographic than another.

The shooting sports might be one.

Would you be offended if “someone” at a gun club thought it might be a good idea to reach out to woman to introduce them the hobby?

If not, why not?

Share the love!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    This has been a problem for years and years and is just now, thankfully, coming to light. I only wish the royalty of the trail, Thru-hikers, would step up and address this problem. We could donate good, (not used) gear to inner-city schools and develop programs to encourage participation in outdoor pursuits, as well as provide transportation to State & National Parks for the purposes of hiking with long distance hikers/experts who could lead by example....who wouldn't enjoy showing an underpriviledged child his first turtle or waterfall?
    Really? If that's the way you feel, step up and do it yourself. Pick a school and start a program right there in Memphis and see how many takers you get.

I think you'll find out pretty quickly that the "barriers" are overwhelmingly cultural and that all the donated gear and free transportation and encouragement in the world will not convince inner-city folk that hiking and camping in the woods is fun and a way they'd prefer to spend their time.

You might as well try to get them into curling while you're at it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Those with a different mindset might be interested in clicking this link to the AMC’s Youth Opportunities Program web page:

https://www.outdoors.org/youth-progr...gram/index.cfm

Really? If that's the way you feel, step up and do it yourself. Pick a school and start a program right there in Memphis and see how many takers you get.

I think you'll find out pretty quickly that the "barriers" are overwhelmingly cultural and that all the donated gear and free transportation and encouragement in the world will not convince inner-city folk that hiking and camping in the woods is fun and a way they'd prefer to spend their time.

100 percent this^^^^^^^^^

The area where i am at now has a population of about 160,000 and about 70 percent is Latino. In all the activities, sports, etc done here how many backpackers do you figure? Personally, i've never known a single one. There are quite a few hunters and fishermen as those activities are something practical and useful. I'm actually humoring myself at the moment picturing faces and reactions of telling people something along the lines of "Hey man, let's go walk in the woods. If we're lucky it doesn't rain all over us and if it does just keep walking. We'll eventually hang out in a tent about the size of a doghouse, get some sleep, and do it again tomorrow. It'll be a lot of fun" Imagine trying to pitch that experience in places like Newark, East Orange, or Paterson. Or at the projects up in the Bronx or over in Brooklyn.

It's not that far to the AT from here either. Just catch the train to Port Jervis out of Hoboken and make your way over.

More like an opportunity.

There are a a lot of activities that are more popular with one demographic than another.

The shooting sports might be one.

Would you be offended if “someone” at a gun club thought it might be a good idea to reach out to woman to introduce them the hobby?

If not, why not?

Share the love!
    Valid point. But there’s a difference: inviting people to share in the experience is not the same as saying “we need more X in order to be more diversified.”

From a shooting sports angle, women benefit from concealed carry much more than men. It’s frontier women that gave the Colt Army the designation of “the great equalizer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    100 percent this^^^^^^^^^
    The area where i am at now has a population of about 160,000 and about 70 percent is Latino. In all the activities, sports, etc done here how many backpackers do you figure? Personally, i've never known a single one. There are quite a few hunters and fishermen as those activities are something practical and useful. I'm actually humoring myself at the moment picturing faces and reactions of telling people something along the lines of "Hey man, let's go walk in the woods. If we're lucky it doesn't rain all over us and if it does just keep walking. We'll eventually hang out in a tent about the size of a doghouse, get some sleep, and do it again tomorrow. It'll be a lot of fun" Imagine trying to pitch that experience in places like Newark, East Orange, or Paterson. Or at the projects up in the Bronx or over in Brooklyn.
    It's not that far to the AT from here either. Just catch the train to Port Jervis out of Hoboken and make your way over.
    Backpacking resembles being homeless, only crazy white people stupid enough to pay $500 for freaking tarps do it in the woods for FUN! LOL.

(jk ...

...............That thoughtful people and organizations are interested in extending a hand to less represented groups, so that those groups might obtain their own critical mass in the context of outdoor recreation, that’s a good thing.
    Good thought well expressed rickb. The Park Service always gets the short end of the stick when it comes to funding now. 50 years from now white people who mostly use the parks presently will be a minority group in this country according to the census predictions. What will happen to funding for national parks if the majority of folks never want or intend to visit them and feel no connection to the outdoors? It is short sighted not to try and encourage everybody to appreciate the outdoors.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Those with a different mindset might be interested in clicking this link to the AMC’s Youth Opportunities Program web page:

https://www.outdoors.org/youth-progr...gram/index.cfm
    Ah, the good ol' AMC, still ensconced in their posh digs at 5 Joy Street? (I know the answer. I still get the mailings from time to time.)

It was this episode that signaled to me that the AMC no longer needed my humble membership fee. This has got to rank right up there with the most egregious examples of PC gone wild, replete with the most bizarre stunt ever concocted in a lame attempt to "prove" they were right. How many wheelchairs have graced those ramps and giant bathroom stalls since?

Journal Entries
    Images

It was this episode that signaled to me that the AMC no longer needed my humble membership fee. This has got to rank right up there with the most egregious examples of PC gone wild, replete with the most bizarre stunt ever concocted in a lame attempt to "prove" they were right. How many wheelchairs have graced those ramps and giant bathroom stalls since?
    The AMC’s construction of the Galehead Hut was done on Federal land to conform to Federal standards.

While one can question the wisdom of inflexible standards (I will no doubt do the same over the holidays if I witness my 87 year old mother get carded at Wegman’s yet again), sometimes you just have to smile.

As to the hike you reference, I can understand how you might have assumed it was led by the AMC, given the number of trips led by the parent organization, and the far greater number led by volunteers from the AMC’s many chapters.

That said, the “episode” you reference was organized and led by a different organization all together.

At least that is what the article you posted says.

I love this conversation.

I attended the ALDHA Gathering in October and saw only white people. I have since been pondering this - are current demographics good or bad? Does it matter? Should something be done to change demographics? If so, what? Maybe the trail experience transcends "real-world" concerns. Maybe it's crucial that many faces are represented on the trail. The variety of viewpoints is what makes the trail - and this country - amazing.

[Full disclosure: I am a white graduate of a liberal arts college and have never owned a Subaru ]

The AMC’s construction of the Galehead Hut was done on Federal land to conform to Federal standards.

While one can question the wisdom of inflexible standards (I will no doubt do the same over the holidays if I witness my 87 year old mother get carded at Wegman’s yet again), sometimes you just have to smile.

As to the hike you reference, I can understand how you might have assumed it was led by the AMC, given the number of trips led by the parent organization, and the far greater number led by volunteers from the AMC’s many chapters.

That said, the “episode” you reference was organized and led by a different organization all together.

At least that is what the article you posted says.
    How many handicapped people have visited Galehead Hut since that one stunt 17 or 18 years ago? I couldn't find any google references to this.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    I love this conversation.

I attended the ALDHA Gathering in October and saw only white people. I have since been pondering this - are current demographics good or bad? Does it matter? Should something be done to change demographics? If so, what? Maybe the trail experience transcends "real-world" concerns. Maybe it's crucial that many faces are represented on the trail. The variety of viewpoints is what makes the trail - and this country - amazing.

[Full disclosure: I am a white graduate of a liberal arts college and have never owned a Subaru ]
    You're not alone in your pondering. How do people who never visit the wild places care about something that is only conceptual, that isn't real to them? How do the urban dwellers who claim to be protectors of the environment justify that claim if they avoid contact with it? Is their concern limited to the self-centered, human-centered issues of having clean water and clear air and trash removal? I typed and re-typed this paragraph over and over, trying to avoid politics, but it's in here ...

To your questions: Yes, it would be better if a wider variety of people cared about the trails and the wilderness. Yes, those of us who care should care enough to see that the next generation continues to care.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++