WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    How many handicapped people have visited Galehead Hut since that one stunt 17 or 18 years ago? I couldn't find any google references to this.
    Do you mean after the “stunt” you said was organized and carried out by the AMC, but which in fact was not?

That is to say after the “stunt” that you found to be such an affront, it caused you to part ways with the AMC?

Even though that “stunt” was spearheaded by a UNH outdoor recreation program, and not the AMC at all?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Do you mean after the “stunt” you said was organized and carried out by the AMC, but which in fact was not?

That is to say after the “stunt” that you found to be such an affront, it caused you to part ways with the AMC?

Even though that “stunt” was spearheaded by a UNH outdoor recreation program, and not the AMC at all?
    In other words, None.

The AMC spent an estimated $30,000 to $50,000 of members' dues for the benefit of 5 people for one overnight visit.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In other words, None.

The AMC spent an estimated $30,000 to $50,000 of members' dues for the benefit of 5 people for one overnight visit.

The ADA accomodations were explicitly mandated by the US Forest Service.

Why so full of anger?

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    I love this conversation.

I attended the ALDHA Gathering in October and saw only white people. I have since been pondering this - are current demographics good or bad? Does it matter? Should something be done to change demographics? If so, what? Maybe the trail experience transcends "real-world" concerns. Maybe it's crucial that many faces are represented on the trail. The variety of viewpoints is what makes the trail - and this country - amazing.

[Full disclosure: I am a white graduate of a liberal arts college and have never owned a Subaru ]
    Again: why must “something be done?”

Why the compulsion to assume all cultures should adhere to white culture? Why is it when a group is predominantly white it’s “racist” or “discriminatory,” but when a minority group predominates an activity its “preserving culture?”

It amazes me that the very people who cry for equality are the first ones to single out things on race.

If you have minority friends who you think would enjoy camping, by all means invite them. But a blanket statement saying more minorities need to get outdoors simply because not enough are participating is the very definition of racism.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Again: why must “something be done?”

Why the compulsion to assume all cultures should adhere to white culture? Why is it when a group is predominantly white it’s “racist” or “discriminatory,” but when a minority group predominates an activity its “preserving culture?”

It amazes me that the very people who cry for equality are the first ones to single out things on race.

If you have minority friends who you think would enjoy camping, by all means invite them. But a blanket statement saying more minorities need to get outdoors simply because not enough are participating is the very definition of racism.
    I’m not making that statement. It was one of the series of possible questions people are asking and/or answering. I’m not taking a stand here.

I’m not making that statement. It was one of the series of possible questions people are asking and/or answering. I’m not taking a stand here.
    Point taken, but the storyline has been set and repeated. I’m not accusing, simply bringing to light the thought process that many are afraid to address.

I understand it’s hard not to fall into the narrative.

Again, if you have friends that you think would enjoy the outdoors, invite them. Don’t worry about what they look like. I don’t care what you look like as long as you enjoy what you’re doing.

Here's a way to look at it...Who's bringing up the issue? Why? And what angle are they taking? Political types have to be liars to one extent or the other.

It's part of the game.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by El JP View Post
    Here's a way to look at it...Who's bringing up the issue? Why?
    Who is bringing up the issue?

Well, the Appalacian Trail Conservancy for one:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...ader-relevancy

If they are wrong for doing so, let them know — I suspect a few at the ATC may even be reading this thread— as disheartening as it has become.

I expect you and others won’t however. Because you know they are right, and the only way to suggest otherwise to take issue with points that they and the AMC and NPS and other organizations on the front lines are simply not making — with your strawman arguments and focus an a single CNN article.

It is not about forcing ones values on others, or suggesting that all people need to recreate the same way. It’s about sharing the passion and commitment to the Trail and outdoors to a broader base of people — including groups who have been conspicuously absent.

That takes vision and leadership — I wish them well.

If they are wrong for doing so, let them know — I suspect a few at the ATC may even be reading this thread— as disheartening as it has become.

I expect you and others won’t however. Because you know they are right, and the only way to suggest otherwise to take issue with points that they and the AMC and NPS and other organizations on the front lines are simply not making — with your strawman arguments and focus an a single CNN article.

It is not about forcing ones values on others, or suggesting that all people need to recreate the same way. It’s about sharing the passion and commitment to the Trail and outdoors to a broader base of people — including groups who have been conspicuously absent.

What a heck of a coincidence.

I'm one of the minorities they hope will be out in the boonies and unfortunately for them, i came onto this on my own without even knowing they were trying to introduce me it. The last thing we (you ought to know damn well who we are discussing by now) need is some more condescending actions, words, and gestures. Right about now i'm sorta thinking about what kind of stereotypical racial/cultural/subcultural/etc things i ought to pull off to "enrich" the experience of those i might run into on the trail.

See all these people writing these these articles and all? They want to make a real effort, they better be going right down to the street level or it's all just pissing against the wind. Anything less will just be catching those lower middle class/upper lower class types who live in suburbia or are on the verge of getting there. The really core inner city types? Good luck that they ever hear anything about hiking/backpacking in a way that relates to them from the ivory tower dwellers.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    White people are definitely the majority in every National Park I have been to and it always surprises me how few African Americans I see. The quote that"If you're a woman, if you're a person of color, if you're in a wheelchair or have a cane, if you're elderly, if you're of a faith that's different from the dominant faith, there is a wind blowing against you that only you, or only people who look like you, can feel." is something to think about. Whether you believe it true or not, if people of color feel that way it might help explain why white people predominant in national parks. (I don't know what is going on with the font size in this post. I can't get everything the same size)
    Oh BS. First, it's condescending (at best) to expect different people from different cultures to like what you like, even if you wrap it in a self-loathing blanket of perceived oppression.

That said, ever been to Shenandoah NP on a Sunday? You'll think you're in India driving down skyline drive. They aren't on the backcountry trails, but most of them are in big groups with family, including the elderly. What the hell is wrong with that? Maybe there's something to be learned about family from this, whereas there are plenty of long distance hikers trying to escape from theirs....

You're saying the same thing. You can put whatever happy spin you want on it, but you're still imposing your values on others who might not even want them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Oh BS. First, it's condescending (at best) to expect different people from different cultures to like what you like, even if you wrap it in a self-loathing blanket of perceived oppression.
    people of that viewpoint will never get it. their worldview is entirely too narrow, clothed in the veil of openness and, to use the buzzword of the day, "tolerance."

what they are in fact are closet totalitarians.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    people of that viewpoint will never get it. their worldview is entirely too narrow, clothed in the veil of openness and, to use the buzzword of the day, "tolerance."

what they are in fact are closet totalitarians.
    and yes, some of those totalitarians work in the NPs or the ATC or the AMC, probably in large part because they want the means to spread their "vision."

it doesnt change who they are.

The ATC is a political entity.

Do I applaud them for reaching out to more people? Yes....
    And no. Yes because, well, that’s kind of the reason for their whole existence. No because we’re hearing stories every year of how the Trail is becoming more crowded and newer hikers are less respectful of LNT guidelines.

However, I think targeting specific groups simply because someone says the current mix of hikers isn’t diverse enough is itself racist.

The ADA accomodations were explicitly mandated by the US Forest Service.

Why so full of anger?
    Because it is a waste of money that could be used for something that is actually useful. The U.S. Forest Service is silly to make such a requirement.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

[Full disclosure: I am a white graduate of a liberal arts college and have never owned a Subaru ]
    Do they even sell Subarus in Texas? I had a job in Atlanta a few years ago, and it was days before I saw one. Seems 3 out of every 4 cars in VT is a Subaru.

...forgot to add, it’s my feeling articles like this tend to devide.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    much ado over nothing. it's a non-issue. you either recreate in the outdoors or you don't. nobody is stopping anyone from enjoying the outdoors. bucncha middle class white folks thinkin' they know why folks don't walk in woods. phhttttt
    Probably the longest LW post yet and one of the wisest!!!!!
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    much ado over nothing. it's a non-issue. you either recreate in the outdoors or you don't. nobody is stopping anyone from enjoying the outdoors. bucncha middle class white folks thinkin' they know why folks don't walk in woods. phhttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Probably the longest LW post yet and one of the wisest!!!!!
    We shoulda just checked with Lone Wolf first, coulda saved a bunch a non-senseicle postin’

why no folks of color play hockey is the real ?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++