WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Joining Two air mattresess with an iron

I've seen videos of people cutting down and repairing an air mattress/pad with an iron.
    How about joining two pads with an iron? anyone done it.

For example taking two 66" long womens sized thermarest mattresses and using an iron to join them lengthwise for a 66" x 40" mattress that would weigh in around 24 ounces and no need for the extra weight of a Duo Coupler.

You would lose two independent pads in return for a duo mattress with two independent sides, something like the synmat exped duo hl only 6" shorter and less weight.

So let's say you're heading out for a 2 week winter trip. You're willing to bet your life on this experimentation??

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    So let's say you're heading out for a 2 week winter trip. You're willing to bet your life on this experimentation??
    I've read about more than a few people altering their sleeping pads and or other equipment... Part of hiking is experimentation to see what works for you and what does not. I don't however think I would be inclined to do this to test out on a winter hike. Experimentation is one thing lunacy is quite another

I vote for the extra weight of the coupler.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    I vote for the extra weight of the coupler.
    Admittedly I have no experience with coupling dual pads and or using a duo pad. Was just curious to see if anyone had tried or considered joining pads lengthwise in the aforementioned method. With other issues/concerns aside was just curious to see if this is actually doable

When we (my wife and me) started multiday hikes in the desert we bought two Thermarest and a coupling set.
    The coupling did not work at all, this is just crap.
    We also bought two matching sleeping bags (LH and RH zip).
    We finally never used the possibility to zip together the bags, nor had we any desire to couple the Thermarests.
    Don't wanna go into details, but we managed fine without.

Now when doing local multiday hikes, we use a tent. The two Thermarests fill the tent completely, no way for one to slide away from the other. No coupling needed.

Images

I do have the experience of shortening 3 Thermarest pads. The problem with your idea is getting unmelted inner material to seal with. The fabric has a heat activated glue on the inside only. The edges also have the baffle structure sealed within. You would be far better off to couple them in some other fashion and not lose your lifetime warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I do have the experience of shortening 3 Thermarest pads. The problem with your idea is getting unmelted inner material to seal with. The fabric has a heat activated glue on the inside only. The edges also have the baffle structure sealed within. You would be far better off to couple them in some other fashion and not lose your lifetime warranty.
    If it can even be done sounds much more complicated than shortening a pad. Seems the Exped Synmat HL Duo sleeping pad is probably a better way to go for a lightweight duo pad. If I remember correctly the medium Duo was like 28-30 ounces 40"x 72"....

Images

You risk voiding your warranty. Cascade Designs has replaced my Neoair Xtherm twice after it developed multiple slow leaks.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Also note that the lightweight Thermarest an Neoair pads are tapered, so they don't match up well along their length. We tried all the solutions for connecting pads (ok, except ironing them together ), and couldn't get any to work the way we wanted. Last year we bought the Exped double pad, which has been great along with a 2-person EE quilt. It also leaves our single pads for when we hike separately, or otherwise need them.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    just a tad over the top - not every hike is "life or death"

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Also note that the lightweight Thermarest an Neoair pads are tapered, so they don't match up well along their length. We tried all the solutions for connecting pads (ok, except ironing them together ), and couldn't get any to work the way we wanted. Last year we bought the Exped double pad, which has been great along with a 2-person EE quilt. It also leaves our single pads for when we hike separately, or otherwise need them.
    Your response indicates the exped double pad may be the best solution. Although I've heard of durability issues.
    Do you put anything under/over it for protection?

Images

Perfectly said, and we have the identical setup.

We tried various connecting systems for our single pads, nothing was ever quite right. Have a double pad is sooooo sweet, no having to deal with that inevitable gap.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    Your response indicates the exped double pad may be the best solution. Although I've heard of durability issues.
    Do you put anything under/over it for protection?
    My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    just a tad over the top - not every hike is "life or death"
    Agree! Not sure where the heck that post came from.... PLUS, the system is redundant anyway, two air chambers; wouldn't that comfortable with two people on one mattress, but it would get you through a couple nights in a pinch. IF someone actually managed to weld two rectangular mattresses together, I'm sure they would have plenty of time/opportunity to test the system.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    ... IF someone actually managed to weld two rectangular mattresses together...
    Could you not stitch or glue a long zip to the rim of the mats?
    This way you would keep full flexibility to use the mats separate or connected.

"My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????"

Not trying to blow up your skirt.... I believe it was a Reddit thread that talked about the Exped blowing out a baffle. Maybe it was an old thread or they addressed the issue but even a quick youtube search can find you video on the issue (youtube/Exped SynMat Hyperlite failure). anyways that's getting a little off topic...
    I was just curious to see if anyone had tried to join two Air pads lengthwise.

Images

We are thinking of trying the Klymit at 47" wide. We've also considered adding Velcro in a few places on our two pads and seeing how that works out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    We are thinking of trying the Klymit at 47" wide. We've also considered adding Velcro in a few places on our two pads and seeing how that works out.
    Tried the Velcro idea and it didn't work -- the pads just came apart as soon as we laid down.

Have used the Exped double for a couple of years now, no problems. No special anything under it except the tent floor.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Tried the Velcro idea and it didn't work -- the pads just came apart as soon as we laid down.

Have used the Exped double for a couple of years now, no problems. No special anything under it except the tent floor.
    Good to hear Exped is holding up, especially just placing it on the tent floor with nothing under it.... what version of the Exped are you using is it the Ultralight duo.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    "My wife and I have used our Exped duo for two years very extensively, zero problems. WHO said anything about them not being durable????"

Not trying to blow up your skirt.... I believe it was a Reddit thread that talked about the Exped blowing out a baffle. Maybe it was an old thread or they addressed the issue but even a quick youtube search can find you video on the issue (youtube/Exped SynMat Hyperlite failure). anyways that's getting a little off topic...
    I was just curious to see if anyone had tried to join two Air pads lengthwise.
    Not feeling any wind.... it's just a pet-peave of mine, the "I heard such-and-such" about durability, etc, without quoting any links. Many folks have unreasonable expectations about gear durability (but not saying you do).

That youtube video is weird, looks like the guy blew the thing up to a huge and unrealistic pressure, wow, so not sure his review is very meaningful, but who knows. If this were to happen (the baffle failure), Exped would replace in a heartbeat, and the pad would still be usable like that at ":normal" operating pressures.

Looks like Exped addressed this "problem" with models made after 2016 (not sure what month):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmWS5Uye6ak

Alas, I'm sure we have the older model, and trying to count nights on our Exped Duo, I think about 65 so far (3 three week trips plus some onsie-twosies). But we don't blow our up anywhere NEAR that balloon pressure.

Overall w.r.t. the OP, I just cannot stress enough the comfort of having a double pad for couples vs. two singles "attached" together.

And by the way, again, two separate chambers for either side, meaning this is sorta like a "sleep number" setup. My wife likes her side softer, I like mine firmer (but nowhere near that dude in the video).

Two box springs, one mattress

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++