WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Anybody else listen to podcasts?

I know some hikers like to tune out and listen to music, podcasts, and perhaps an audio book. Or I suppose they do this off trail too so it may apply to anyone.
    But I'm an avid podcast listener and every once in a while I peruse my podcast app for new outdoor and/or backpacking related podcasts. Most of them are gear reviews, politically focused, or environmental commentary. Nothing wrong with that just looking for something more backpacking culture related.
    A new podcast was just released called Backpacking & Blisters. I think it hits the nail on the head for anyone who's interested. It's on my Apple Podcast app and I assume on Android apps as well.
    Just throwing that out there.
    Thanks!

Absolutely.

My routine became wake up and hike for an hour or two with no headphones to start. I liked the peace of the morning and it’s nice to kinda feel the forest wake up.
    After awhile I’d pop in the earbuds and fire up a podcast.
    Seeing as how my life at the time was backpacking I was keen on a distraction, not more backpacking, and was turned on to Hardcore History by a friend. They’re great, and some last for hours, which would just about cover me till lunch.

After an energizing lunch break I’d usually switch over to something light and pop like to keep me pumped and I’d fly down the trail.
    I’ve listened to more T Swift and Katy Perry than I’d ever thought possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add I’ve since become a fan of the podcast Hang Your Own Hang, a hammock centric backpacking thing.

I admit I’m a bit biased though, as they interviewed me awhile back.

I try so hard to enjoy podcasts... I have to be doing almost nothing to really absorb them otherwise it’s just white noise. That said I subscribe to The Dirtbag Diaries, Jam Crack, The Routes Podcast, and Outdoors Station. I’m not current on any of them because my attention span is subpar.

My normal daily routine includes several podcasts. They help by serving as a distraction from the mundane, monotonous and irritating. When hiking, canoeing or otherwise adventuring, I have no need or desire to be distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    My normal daily routine includes several podcasts. They help by serving as a distraction from the mundane, monotonous and irritating. When hiking, canoeing or otherwise adventuring, I have no need or desire to be distracted.
    That’s perfect.

Agree on Dirtbag Diaries, its the best I've come across - best writing, stories, and production (even if I don't always agree with Fitz if he starts to get too political). I also like Mighty Blue on the AT, and he's got a new offshoot podcast called Return to Katahdin, although I haven't had the time to check it out yet. n2backpacking can also have some good episodes.

Podcasts are OK, but I prefer audio books. That being said, Pardon My Take is a podcast I listen to a lot on the trail. Those two knuckleheads crack me up!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not so familiar with the trails I hike that I can afford to be distracted by podcasts or music. Especially when hiking alone - I need to be "on" nearly all the time.

That said, I too am an avid listener to podcasts, but just when driving or exercising.

I can't imagine doing anything electronic while hiking the trail. I want to hear wind and bird song and thunder, not electronically recorded human voices or instrument. I spend enough time with civilization. When I get away, I want to be away.

Thanks to all of the responses. I will check out some of the suggestions. I agree that when backpacking it's best to be away from tech. But I do a lot of solo trail running and feel it's safer to have sound (w/o earbuds) to make my presence known out there. Also, podcasts are awesome for long drives. I just love the outdoor content. Thanks everyone.

The Trail Show is always entertaining. I've been a Thru-Listener for a long time...
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

what apps or download sources do people use to get these podcasts on their phone?

Journal Entries
    Images

Dirtbag Diaries, Trail Show, First Forty Miles, Space and Rocket History, American Military History, History of WWII, Clarksworld Magazine, Tides of History, and of course, Car Talk, and more. Not while backpacking though. I ride the bus to work a lot - but I'm fixing that problem on 3 January.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

The No Agenda Show Podcast with Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak
    In the morning!!!!
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-26-2017 at 16:11.

Love podcasts. I second the recommendation for Mighty Blue on the Appalachian Trail - it brings the trail to life. Formerly, I enjoyed Trailside Radio and Sounds of the Trail. The Outdoors Station is accessible and entertaining.

On the trail, yea, I don't listen that much. Occasionally, however, when you need to make miles and the terrain is uninspiring, I've slipped on my earbuds and listened to The Memory Palace - good, narrative history.

At the end of the day? A podcast in the tent is a nice way of unwinding before sleep....
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Betteridge's Law.

No.

Images

For currently active podcasts: The Trail Show, Mighty Blue on the Appalachian Trail, Cascade Hiker Podcast, The Dirtbag Diaries, The First 40 Miles, The Adventure Sports Podcast, Anthony's Audio Journal. Older Podcasts/Less Active, Sounds of the Trail, The Pox & Puss Podcast, n2Backpacking, Trailside Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    The No Agenda Show Podcast with Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak
    In the morning!!!!
    In the morning to you!

Some great podcasts from about 10 years ago are still a great set to listen to

http://web.archive.org/web/200904180...trailcast.com/

++ New Posts ++