WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Deep Gap NC road access

My understanding is that at some point over the winter, they close the FS road leading to Deep Gap. I have two questions, thanks in advance for anyone in the know who can help me out.

1. When do they close the road?

2. How close can you get to Deep Gap by car once they close the road?

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    2. How close can you get to Deep Gap by car once they close the road?
    I was there this past summer. It's quite a ways on the forest service road if you have to walk. There are two Deep Gaps so I hope I'm not getting them mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    I was there this past summer. It's quite a ways on the forest service road if you have to walk. There are two Deep Gaps so I hope I'm not getting them mixed up.
    I'm referring to the Deep Gap at NOBO mile marker 85 if that helps, about 7 miles after the GA/NC border and before Standing Indian.

If the road is closed you could go park at the backcountry kiosk. From there it's a 3.5mi hike up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    If the road is closed you could go park at the backcountry kiosk. From there it's a 3.5mi hike up Kimsey Creek Trail to Deep Gap.
    Cool, thanks Joe!

According to Ron's AT shuttle service: Closed Dec. 1 to April 1. 5.9 miles of FS service road.

Images

The drive down to the Standing Indian Campground, where the "Backcountry Information Center" is located, is on paved roads. (The "BIC" is in reality just the usual signboard with a little roof on it.) There is parking for 20 cars or so, and a connector trail that runs through the campground and on to the Kimsey Creek Trail. That trail is fairly easy, a nice climb up to Deep Gap in about 4 miles. If you're doing the Standing Indian Loop, this is the place to start. If you are hiking south into Georgia, it's also a fine place especially in the winter.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My experience is that most FS roads in this area that close for the winter are typically closed from January 2 through March 31, unless conditions require something earlier / later. I checked the Nantahala website and don't see anything posted about seasonal closures posted yet. I'd recommend calling the local ranger office to be sure:

Nantahala Ranger District
    District Ranger Mike Wilkins
    90 Sloan Road
    Franklin, NC 28734
    (828) 524-6441https://whiteblaze.net/forum/image/p...BJRU5ErkJggg==
    [email protected]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nantalhala & Pisgah Forests usually close their seasonal roads on Dec 31st of each year. If there is indication of a early winter snow fall, the roads could be closed early. Seasonal roads are usually opened around April 1-ish if conditions are favorable.

Just call the Franklin USFS office for specific dates.

From what I remember, the gate at US64 is the only gate to Deep Gap. Its about 5 miles in. Most cars can drive it if conditions are not muddy.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 11-21-2017 at 10:54.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++