WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bluetooth Keyboard

I blogged while I was doing my Camino de Santiago, but I also had my iPad with keyboard case with me. I thought of getting an iPad mini to save on space and weight, but it’s $400 that I don’t really have to spend. So I’m considering Bluetooth keyboards.

The ones that seem most interesting that I’ve found so far are the myType flexible and foldable keyboard, and the Verbatim folding keyboard.

The myType is interesting because it seems like it would be fairly light, but the Verbatim seems like the typing experience would be more like a regular keyboard. Has anyone used either of these? What did you think?

Are there any others you would recommend looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by biloute View Post
    I blogged while I was doing my Camino de Santiago, but I also had my iPad with keyboard case with me. I thought of getting an iPad mini to save on space and weight, but it’s $400 that I don’t really have to spend. So I’m considering Bluetooth keyboards.

The ones that seem most interesting that I’ve found so far are the myType flexible and foldable keyboard, and the Verbatim folding keyboard.

The myType is interesting because it seems like it would be fairly light, but the Verbatim seems like the typing experience would be more like a regular keyboard. Has anyone used either of these? What did you think?

Are there any others you would recommend looking at?
    dont they have apps that let you speak while it dictates?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    dont they have apps that let you speak while it dictates?
    There are voice to text apps. One guy used that for his trail journals this year. It's kind of funny seeing the all mistakes it makes. At some point you'd want to go back and correct the mistakes.

I've considered a wireless keyboard, but resist adding the weight and bulk. Granted it's not much, but still. I compromised by not journaling any more.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

New kindle fire is $99.

Images

I mean, if we are recommending new tablets, the HP Stream 7 can run a full Windows 10 install (so isn't restricted to being just a tablet) and costs less than a Kindle Fire.

But as for the OP's question on keyboards, I have done it. I recommend getting a keyboard with a track pad or mouse-nipple in it. Keyboards with this feature are generally the same footprint as those without, and the feature comes in surprisingly handy. I have one full size keyboard that looks like a Mac keyboard clone, I have one tablet sized that looks like the keyboard from one of the old ultra-books (Asus 900, for example), and I have one that is for thumbs and fits in my hands like an old blackberry. It all depends on what typing experience you want to have. I generally tend to go with on screen typing with the built in phone keyboard because my myopic vision means I need the screen that close to my face anyway so it is a more natural position.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I don’t want a new tablet just for the AT. The one I want is the larger iPad Pro, which even if I got one before starting the trail I wouldn’t take it with me. I can do with my phone okay, but I don’t want to type with my thumbs. I’d like something that will be at least a tablet sized keyboard if not full sized, but I don’t want it that large packed. So something that will fold, roll, or otherwise compress into a shorter footprint so I could tuck it into a corner of my pack. This would also protect the keys from accidentally getting pushed while packed.

Images

Let me caution against a gummy rolling keyboard. The typing experience on that kind is sub-par.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've had I think three different folding bluetooth keyboard over the past decade; I blog daily on my longer hikes, and more often than not have found the weight of a folding keyboard to be worth it. Though as an aside, as the software improves and phone sizes get bigger, the trade-off is less clear to me now, plus the ability to convert voice-to-text.

Of the three keyboards I've had, the first two were a PITA to use, not from a mechanical sense, but just getting and keeping them paired and connected. The one I have now, however, works quite well and fairly effortlessly: I'm not saying this is the only good choice or anything (!), and you could maybe find something lighter (?), but what I have is the 1byOne folding keyboard, this:
    https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Foldab...SIN=B00VRCKK1Y

For an android phone, at any rate, I would recommend it (I have no IOS experience).

The 1byOne needs to be plugged in to recharge the internal battery. In the past I've preferred keyboards that use 1 or perhaps 2 AAA batteries, but in fact the internal battery for the 1byOne seems to hold charge well, and/or I just don't use much per day. So recharging periodically at town stops has seemed sufficient.

The previous folding keyboard I had seemed wonky to me for a while until I realized that it got flakey at colder temperatures; for some time on the CDT this was a problem, so I would end up putting it inside clothing for a while before typing a daily blog entry. FYI, anyway, as something to try in the field if you experience problems at cold temps.

Best of luck whatever you end up with, and please report back on your experience!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

https://www.cogerion.com/product/min...d+-+kupci+-+MB

I don’t know how well it works.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at this one on Amazon. Same keyboard sold under different names. It's about the lightest you can go (under 5oz) where the keys are placed in a natural position where you don't have to change how you type on a real keyboard. I've tried several folding keyboards over the years and this is my favorite. The rest including the ones listed above force me to have to mentally think about where the keys are as the distance feels cramped. Downside is due to its lightweight it isn't the most impact resistant. It also is missing the top number row so you have to hit a control key to get a number.

++ New Posts ++