WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Large person sleeping bag

My husband and I are both larger people (around) and the standard sizes of sleeping bags would all be pretty tight. I know Enlightened Equipment has an x-wide size (70”) but I don’t know about the quality. They seem to be a top brand, but in doing some research there maybe isn’t enough down in their bags for the temperature rating. Would getting a colder bag solve this problem?

rei radiant has a long/wide version that is 70 inch girth at the shoulders which is my widest spot. i'm 59 inches at shoulders so standard bags were not comfortable. I probably don't need a full 70 inches, but i did not find anything between 64 and 70. If too big, then you can have a large air space inside the bag and that makes them colder. I suspect 66 inches would be about perfect for me. But 70 is better than standard 60.

I have a few EE quilts . The temp ratings are correct for me. I prefer synthetic for bags or quilts 40° and warmer. Yes just get a warmer quilt if you are a cold sleeper.

Thom

If you dont need lightweight gear, Cabelas sells some large girth bags. Big Agnes makes wide shoulder girth bags, unfortunately their website designer hides the dimensions in the item descriptions without a summary table but if you look at the individual bags, they list the shoulder girth. I see one that has an 80 inch girth.

Western Mountaineering makes wide bags. WM is top of the line gear and made in the USA. I own two WM bags, and have no regrets at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Western Mountaineering makes wide bags. WM is top of the line gear and made in the USA. I own two WM bags, and have no regrets at all.
    Ditto. Conservative temperature ratings. Special order extra down available. Buy once and done.
    What temperature ratings do you need? Good luck.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Ditto. Conservative temperature ratings. Special order extra down available. Buy once and done.
    What temperature ratings do you need? Good luck.
    20ºF seems to be the most common for the AT, but I was wondering if I might be able to get by with a 30ºF bag with a thermal liner for the beginning and end of the trail that I could send home for the summer.

Those thermal liners add weight and give very little warmth in return. Not worth it. Better off getting a 20* quilt or bag to begin with, or plan not to hike when it gets below 35*.

A bag liner is a good idea, but mostly not for warmth. Instead, you use it to keep your sleeping bag clean. The liner can go in a regular wash cycle in town, whereas cleaning a sleeping bag requires special handling. I have a Cocoon ripstop silk liner for my bag, and I think I might get an extra 5° of warmth from it.

I have an REI Radiant, long/wide. I am 6'3 250ish and it is plenty big for me, even with full clothes incl down jacket on. I have been into the upper 20's with it, with clothing on, and I remained warm.
    It is what it is.

Images

let me suggest you look into sleeping bags by Montbell.
    I have one from years ago and it gives me enough room for my big belly.

https://kammok.com/products/thylacin...nt=53209586695

I am also a large man and settled upon the Kammok 20degree bag. What I like about this bag is there are many ways to adjust it for a more comfortable fit. Using on an outing where temps were in the upper 30's, the bag was a little too warm for me.

++ New Posts ++