WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

fiddlehead> I never really could express into words my thoughts too well. I'm glad I did the approach trail. I always planned to and when the time came I did just that. But it was an eye opener considering I've never worn a backpack until that morning. I was whooped when I reached the top of Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    But it was an eye opener considering I've never worn a backpack until that morning. I was whooped when I reached the top of Springer.
    Just wait until you get to New England! I can't wait until I can get down South where the trails are easier. Mahoosuc Notch Killed me, although it was fun! The Mahoosuc Trail in NH and Maine is done of the toughest I've done. I can see why through-hiker are so despairing when the get to Maine and why Sobos have a higher completion rate.

I may be in the minority but I was not impressed with Hawk Mtn Tent sites.

Some perspective and suggestions:

Consider not categorizing into just two narrow categories - good and bad.

Your thoughts are truly not worthless. Thoughts fully developed turn into action, habits, and behaviors. That is not to say some thoughts are not more desirable than others.

I regularly hear people making statements like: "Our 30 yr marriage was a failure"(because it ended in divorce), "my child is a complete failure"(because he or she didn't complete a college degree or was arrested or had conceived a child out of marriage...),...So all those moments in a 30 yr marriage can be categorized as failure? There were never a multitude, possible a virtual infinite number, of successful moments? So, a child no matter how much they stumble never succeeded at anything?

Define your experiences as you want but perhaps it's worth considering there were many successes on your thru-hike, even an overall success. Perhaps, redefine a thru-hike as you define it, as you did it? Many already do that.

Some readings that have assisted me in gaining perspective:

The Noticer and The Travelers Gift by Andy Andrews
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
    Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
    The Way of Zen by Alan Watts
    Man's Search for Meaning by Ann Frankl

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Just wait until you get to New England! I can't wait until I can get down South where the trails are easier. Mahoosuc Notch Killed me, although it was fun! The Mahoosuc Trail in NH and Maine is done of the toughest I've done. I can see why through-hiker are so despairing when the get to Maine and why Sobos have a higher completion rate.
    I can vouch for this. Just finished my NOBO thru hike this year. The 2 hardest states were NH and Maine, hands down. Although the most fun (I like a challenge), they were the hardest for me. I tried a thru attempt in '15, made it 750 miles, then pulled off trail. Not due to injury, but losing too much weight/way too fast. I was lucky enough to try again this year and I made it. Thru hiking takes a trendous toll on the body and you have to have the time. My brother is section hiking the whole thing and he has more fun in all the planning and logistics that goes along with it. Keep it up and have fun out there!
    - Trail name: Thumper

egilbe> after a few days I was fine. But yes, I hear the northern half is a lot of work.

Dogwood> well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    I can vouch for this. Just finished my NOBO thru hike this year. The 2 hardest states were NH and Maine, hands down. Although the most fun (I like a challenge), they were the hardest for me.
    I’ll vouch for your vouch. I thought the approach trail wasn’t difficult at all with a total pack weight of 20 lbs. I then sectioned the first 12 states over three years, and experienced some challenging parts.

In year four (2017), the day I got to Moosilake at the start of the Whites, I got a very rude awakening. The terrain turned almost vicious. My attitude shifted from “joyous, exhilarating, easy going”, to a sense of “unbelievable, oh-my-god, who-in-hell-designed-this-Trail”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Besides the terrain, the weather can be quite different than the southern states. This year I was on Mt Success at mile 1901 on July 6th, and it was sleeting so hard it was cutting my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats Thumper!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++