WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ashby Gap day hike

Hey everyone! I need some assistance. I want to hike south from Ashby Gap/Route 50. It's just a day hike and I thought there was a 7-ish mile hike to VA 638 or something. I can't really seem to find any info on it though. Wondering if anyone has parked at the 638 trail head and if they've done this section.

I'm slowly but surely pushing south and was hoping to hit this on Friday.

Thanks!

Journal Entries

There's an 11.8 mile segment from Ashby Gap (Route 50) south to Manassas Gap (Route 55) - a hike still on our to-do list. I don't see any other road crossings between those two points on the ATC interactive map. There is a VA 638, but it's way down in SW Virginia. Hope this helps.

Freezeland Road parking is fine it’s at or near a wildlife mangament area w a large gravel lot. Fun section to hike!

Also FWIW va638 is known as Fiery Run Road south of I66, and Freezeland Road to the north of 66

Download Guthook, if you’re doing what you’re doing you’ll get your $$ worth

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    There's an 11.8 mile segment from Ashby Gap (Route 50) south to Manassas Gap (Route 55) - a hike still on our to-do list. I don't see any other road crossings between those two points on the ATC interactive map. There is a VA 638, but it's way down in SW Virginia. Hope this helps.
    I do not recall any road crossings but one can hike down into Sky Meadows State Park and access US 17 from near the park entrance. The Ashby Gap to Manassas Gap hike would be a good day hike but require a shuttle, or of course a round trip.

I believe Freezeland Road is .5 mile side trail

It’s off VA 638 (Freezeland Road) onto Fire Trail Road in Thompson WMA. Mile 986.1, which would be 3.3!miles south of your start. 6.6 miles total.

Thanks. It's a tad confusing because there seem to be several trail heads along 638. I'm going to see if we can acquire a shuttle to drop us at one of them...just depends on how far we want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    It’s off VA 638 (Freezeland Road) onto Fire Trail Road in Thompson WMA. Mile 986.1, which would be 3.3!miles south of your start. 6.6 miles total.
    According to the 2016 edition of the trail guide, there is a trail head at mile 981.8; a 0.3 side trail (Trico Tower Trail). It's never a good sign though, when the shuttle drivers aren't familiar with it!

If it’s a shuttle drop (as opposed to parking) just advise to “keep on going” and have them drop you, they should be able to turn around and go about their day ��

Journal Entries
    Images

Ashby Gap to 638 is 14 miles, not 7. 11.6 miles gets you to the parking at I66 south of Manassas Gap shelter. It's another 2 miles to the 638 crossing nearby Jim and Molly Denton. There is no longer parking on 638 (blocked off by boulders with room for 1 car to do a 3 point turn. I;ve used 638 twice for day hikes and don't like it. I-66/Tuckers Lane (725) is much better. I think I did a couple youtubes of that section.

Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    Hey everyone! I need some assistance. I want to hike south from Ashby Gap/Route 50. It's just a day hike and I thought there was a 7-ish mile hike to VA 638 or something. I can't really seem to find any info on it though. Wondering if anyone has parked at the 638 trail head and if they've done this section.

I'm slowly but surely pushing south and was hoping to hit this on Friday.

Thanks!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are talking bailing to fire trail road (dirt road off of the north part of 638) there is a parking lot and trail head a hundred yards from the AT near the tent sign here:
    IMG_4117.JPGIMG_4119.JPGIMG_4120.JPGIMG_4121.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Ashby Gap to 638 is 14 miles, not 7. 11.6 miles gets you to the parking at I66 south of Manassas Gap shelter. It's another 2 miles to the 638 crossing nearby Jim and Molly Denton. There is no longer parking on 638 (blocked off by boulders with room for 1 car to do a 3 point turn. I;ve used 638 twice for day hikes and don't like it. I-66/Tuckers Lane (725) is much better. I think I did a couple youtubes of that section.

Journal Entries
    Images

This one: IMG_4095.JPG
    It's also a good bail spot to a paved road up top.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLorenzo77 View Post
    According to the 2016 edition of the trail guide, there is a trail head at mile 981.8; a 0.3 side trail (Trico Tower Trail). It's never a good sign though, when the shuttle drivers aren't familiar with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    This one: IMG_4095.JPG
    It's also a good bail spot to a paved road up top.
    Thanks, Kaptain. That's what I had in mind. Much appreciated.

++ New Posts ++