WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recycling or repurpose ideas for my trashed Montbell UL down parka.....

Recently on a section hike my dumb arse leaned too close to my alchy stove...burnt a damn hole the size of baseball just below chest area...needless to say a few choice words flew! I’ve had it several years and can’t see anyway to salvage for regular use as I used it around town and on the trail. I put a few pieces of duct tape over for a field fix but can’t see the wife being seen with me wearing it..blaze orange duct tape doesn’t help!....thought about salvaging the down and having it added to my EE 20* Enigma to bump up the temp rating....thoughts? Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could still have a vest if you are crafty and use the sleeve material to repair the damage.
    Sleeves could be salvaged to make booties- or to pair with a functional vest for added warmth, if you opt out from the repair.
    Plenty of material to make a down beanie or two.
    Your dog might enjoy a "quilt".

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    You could still have a vest if you are crafty and use the sleeve material to repair the damage.
    Sleeves could be salvaged to make booties- or to pair with a functional vest for added warmth, if you opt out from the repair.
    Plenty of material to make a down beanie or two.
    Your dog might enjoy a "quilt".
    Damn I wish I could sew! Pup does too! He has a modified el cheapo Costco down vest turned bag! I like your ideas, I’ll reach out to a local seamstress to see if it’s reasonable...thx

Wet vest (saturate), preform surgery's and extract wet down, ring, weigh, group however you like, insert down into drinking straw, prep second garment for minimal invasive procedure, insert straw and blow, repeat as nessasary, close, fluff.

Yeah, I would think it possible to patch. Could probably source a similar fabric if not the same...good enough for trail use. As scudder suggested, I'd think a halfway decent seamstress could do a first rate patch, going from a seam to a seam, that might be hard to see...or at least not look too bad.

Have you tried taking it to a seamstress?

Maybe contact montbel? (either for matching fabric or for repair)

Or, just find some sort of AT patch, or something else suitable to your interest, to sew over the hole.... Again, maybe not suitable for high fashion town wear but good enough for the trail....

Here’s a pic...I’ve had this patch for years but it’s lil to small...

Salty just get some tenasious tap and put a patch over is...my bag is pretty much the only thing down I have that doesn't have a patch or 5 on lit. The jack gets a burn hole in it? Ah little T-Tape will fix that and give it some character They even have your pretty little color

https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...nt=28044148753

You can also buy loose down online for pretty cheap but I have no experience in that so I will let it be at that
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Salty just get some tenasious tap and put a patch over is...my bag is pretty much the only thing down I have that doesn't have a patch or 5 on lit. The jack gets a burn hole in it? Ah little T-Tape will fix that and give it some character They even have your pretty little color

https://www.gearaid.com/products/ten...nt=28044148753

You can also buy loose down online for pretty cheap but I have no experience in that so I will let it be at that
    Good call, after pulling off the duct tape I can definitely see salvaging it. Was kind of like a kid with blood...afraid to look at it! I’ll swing by rei grab some t tape.

AT 2012

...I'm thinking a PCT patch right next to the AT patch would solve all your problems.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    ...I'm thinking a PCT patch right next to the AT patch would solve all your problems.
    Hell maybe just go ahead with all three! Technically I’ve hiked ON all three....
    JMT(PCT)about half CT(CDT)and AT.....so much for a UL jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Good call, after pulling off the duct tape I can definitely see salvaging it. Was kind of like a kid with blood...afraid to look at it! I’ll swing by rei grab some t tape.

Salty how did your handy work turn out??
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Salty how did your handy work turn out??
    Actually just talked with EE they use a similar color in 10d for the quilts, they’re going to send me a scrap piece I’m going to have repaired cheap.

++ New Posts ++