WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: smoke?

i used to carry a carton of cheap cigs and sell them for $10 per pack to the folks tryin' to quit in georgia. made a killin'!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    There are way way too many thru hikers and section hikers who smoke. Its really smelly and disgusting. Bad for your health as well as those around you too.

You are finally in the outdoors for an extended period of time, drinking clear cool and treated water and breathing wonderful fresh air. Why mess that up by putting nicotine pollutants in you? PLEASE leave the ciggs at home. It will be so much nicer for you and your shelter mates. Coming to an otherwise very nice shelter after a long day of hiking, and finding some shmuck sitting in the shelter puffing away was always a real downer for me and often times I moved on. Smoking is likely the most disgusting and revolting habit I have ever witnessed among hikers, though the very heavy drinking I so frequently witnessed brings up a close second.
    sounds great, but its an addiction.a very powerful addiction. ive quit so many times i can no longer call it quittingtried acupuncture, hypnotism, drugs, gum, now those new electronic cigarettes.. Ive quit cocaine, quaaludes, a variety of other drugs as well as alcohol, but tobacco is the one bug ive still yet to beat. I do not smoke while im on the trail, but i will enjoy a smoke at the end of the day, and in the am. I do not smoke near others, keep it well away from the shelters, as i prefer tenting anyway.but i dont need anavangelical sermon on how disgusting a habit you find it.you'll breathe in campfire smoke with no issue, filled with carcinogens, but of course, thats different.noise pollution is just as invasive as someone smoking outdoors, and its(tobacco) a abasic part of american culture.
    i find picking your nose/butt even more disgusting,especially if done in reverse order.
    i hope one day ill be able to say im a former smoker, but understand it is difficult for many to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i used to carry a carton of cheap cigs and sell them for $10 per pack to the folks tryin' to quit in georgia. made a killin'!
    That falls into the "Evil Genius" category! Hilarious
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I thank God that I recently quit. Never a heavy smoker, but by the grace of God I quit and haven't had the desire to smoke. It's funny how hiking used to actually make me feel like smoking, hoping that will not be the case next time out. If so, I may have to roll some greens up.
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    That is f----- Rich,LingMAO....I just spotted.I quit about 7-8 years ago and never look back.I feels great to be able to walk 10 or so miles and not even notice that i used to smoke,though that didn't happen over night.I walk each and every day,and am so glad I quit after 27 years.Breathing is better,Here's hoping all who smoke will find the will to quit.If you can't do it for yourself,do it for your kids,wife,or loved one.If you quit,and start again...thats ok,quit again and again,till you get it right,but get it right ,you won't regret it.If you need support PM me.Good luck!,Breathing can be fun!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    That is f----- Rich,LingMAO....I just spotted.I quit about 7-8 years ago and never look back.I feels great to be able to walk 10 or so miles and not even notice that i used to smoke,though that didn't happen over night.I walk each and every day,and am so glad I quit after 27 years.Breathing is better,Here's hoping all who smoke will find the will to quit.If you can't do it for yourself,do it for your kids,wife,or loved one.If you quit,and start again...thats ok,quit again and again,till you get it right,but get it right ,you won't regret it.If you need support PM me.Good luck!,Breathing can be fun!
    congratulations, socks!hope to join you one of these days.(but not today.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Smoked for years quit for 15 years, and as of late it has been a battle. When hiking I smoke alot less and might bring a few for the period from stopping to sleeping. Obviously, one is better off without, IMHO a pack a week won't hurt. HYOH

Personally I have always found the smell of second hand smoke to be quite enjoyable. As long as I can remember since childhood I would always love it when someone was smoking around me. I guess some of us are just born to smoke. I hate to play into a stereotype but maybe it's the partial native american roots in me, lol. I actually think that it smells better as second hand smoke rather than smoking it yourself. I do understand why some people hate it though and always feel guilty on trail when I'm smoking around a non-smoker. If I'm at a shelter I will always stand outside of the covered area and if its raining I ask if anyone minds before lighting up.

Images

Well I "re-lit" this thread in hopes that at least one hiker would be persuaded to quit. I too sometimes enjoy the smell of cig smoke. Other times I want to gag. Not so sure why that is...
    skinny d

Some times the medium will change while the action remains the same if I can help let me know I am known to bring mojo and magic when needed but you have to let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbx View Post
    Personally I have always found the smell of second hand smoke to be quite enjoyable. As long as I can remember since childhood I would always love it when someone was smoking around me. I guess some of us are just born to smoke. I hate to play into a stereotype but maybe it's the partial native american roots in me, lol. I actually think that it smells better as second hand smoke rather than smoking it yourself. I do understand why some people hate it though and always feel guilty on trail when I'm smoking around a non-smoker. If I'm at a shelter I will always stand outside of the covered area and if its raining I ask if anyone minds before lighting up.
    I too like the smell of ciggs and cigars,but don't care for pipe tobaco as it is gaging to me.....go figure

Images

I quit on the millenium. The date helped, and many packs of bubble gum. The main motivation was the GREEN BOTTLE, I don't mean Rolling Rock either! You know that green tank Aunt Mildred pulls behind her with the hoses around her ears into her nose! I kept telling myself that ..." I cant fit it in my backpack, or carry it in my fishing vest, and I certainly can't skate around with it. Something had to go, my pastimes & lungs or cigs. I try not to be that kind of "non-smoker", but when I smell cigs on a person who just smoked I shudder to think I used to smell like that. I will also confess that I do enjoy a half dozen GOOD cigars every year.

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    Well I "re-lit" this thread in hopes that at least one hiker would be persuaded to quit. I too sometimes enjoy the smell of cig smoke. Other times I want to gag. Not so sure why that is...
    I'm glad you re-up it too,it's a big deal.and only good can come from it Thanks~john

Quote Originally Posted by hiker 57 View Post
    congratulations, socks!hope to join you one of these days.(but not today.)
    Hey I hear ya,just don't give up!Took me 27 years and a trip and weeks stay at a real nice hospital before I got it.and I had the help of some fine doctors as well.

If I can survive w/o bourbon you can survive w/o smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by sd davis View Post
    If I can survive w/o bourbon you can survive w/o smokes.
    I too have been surviving w/out bourbon and beer gin,vodka,but it's the tekillya I miss the most.

Quitting smoking is possibly the hardest thing I ever did. I smoked my last cigarette on January 1, 1988. That was the night before I ran my first marathon. I knew that if I ever smoked another, then I couldn't say "I smoked my last cigarette the night before I ran my first marathon". That corny little fact kept me from ever lighting up another one. I was a heavy smoker, and a buddy told me that, after quitting, I would have the urge for five years. By God, he was right.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    ....... one is better off without, IMHO a pack a week won't hurt. HYOH
    carbon monoxide preferentialy binds with hemoblobin, blocking it's ability to carry oxygen. It continues to bind and block the ability to carry oxygen long after you put out that cig. Only 2 cigs a day will greatly tie up the hemoglobin and cause shortness of breath. More than 2 a day...might as well smoke a pack!
    Nicotine is the most addictive drug known. More than cocaine, more than herorin, oxycontin, more than anything. Withdrawal from cocaine and heroin may be more unpleasant, but the ability to quit nicotine, and stay quit, is harder.
    Learned all this when I quit 1/1/1990. I still want one.

Images

Lone Wolf You are one funny guy! I appreciate your sense of humor as well as your no BS advice and info. Thanks.

I smoked 37 yrs 2 pks a day quit 5 yrs ago using chantix, Saved over 10K , couldn't walk 1000 ft without being out of breath, I took up hiking right after I quit, This Year I am thru hiking the AT, I would not be able to even do Springer if I still smoked, Actually I may not even be alive since my brother who was just 2 yrs older than me and started smoking the same age as I did died from lung cancer 6 months ago

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++