WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was your worst hammock fall?

I was just enjoying a fantastic NC fall afternoon in the hammock when my homemade soft shackle gave way at the knot. In an instant I'm flat on my back and covered in beer. I'm grateful it happened in the back yard, rather than in the woods and that made me wonder...

What was your worst fall from a hammock?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

Camped next to mosquito heaven, threw the hammock up in a hurry, hopped in, zipped up the integrated bug net in a rush and.... jammed it on my quilt. With the swarm sucking me dry I desperately tugged on the zipper so hard I ripped the bug net right open wrecked the whole zipper. Spent the longest night awake trying to hold the whole system together with my hands and catch a few winks at the same time. The mosquitoes killed me that night.
    Last edited by imscotty; 12-03-2017 at 18:58.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Once on an overnighter, my whoopie slipped off the knot and ended up on the toggle, unbeknownst to me. I sat in my hammock, the toggle broke (just a stick I found at the base of the tree) and I ended up on the ground.

My most embarrassing fall was when I was showing my hammock off to my youngest son one time. I went to sit in it, but didn't properly spread it and instead sat over it and promptly fell right on my backside. He got quite the kick out of it.

To the OP: if you're interested in splicing a soft shackle yourself, here's a great tutorial in which it is literally impossible for the stopper knot to fail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI

There I was. Two days hike into the Eagle Cap Wilderness in Oregon. At 4:00 AM, after a pit stop, I climbed back into my hammock. Shortly thereafter, I heard a pop, then a rapid series of pops, and I was lying on the ground. The small lines forming part of the head end suspension, had all pulled out of the hammock body.

Three good things: 1. I was close to the ground, so no real crash. 2. I had a backup ground pad, which I deployed in a few minutes. 3. There were no bugs, so no need for the integrated bug net.

The hammock, A Byers Mosquito Traveler, went back to LL Bean.

I have my eye on a Dream Hammocks Raven.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    To the OP: if you're interested in splicing a soft shackle yourself, here's a great tutorial in which it is literally impossible for the stopper knot to fail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI
    Thanks. I'll still use soft shackles for a variety purposes, just not connecting my hammock suspension.

I was using my Ridgerunner on an AT trip in Massachusetts with the scouts and the tips on my trekking pole spreader bars gave out around midnight (shooting the pole tip adapters 30+ feet). It was about 40 degrees that night, and I got to spend it on the ground.

Back in the 80's I used to use a small net hammock for camping and would string it as tight and high was I could. I climbed into the hammock for the night and as I was falling asleep I woke up to a loud snapping sound followed by being spun out of the hammock as one of the side ropes gave way. Trapped in my sleeping bag I couldn't try to break my fall and landed on my face and stomach from about 4ft up. Once I could breath again and my head cleared I pulled a ground tarp out and slept under the remains of the hammock.

When I bought it! I fell for all the hipe! 5 hammocks later I found the one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I was just enjoying a fantastic NC fall afternoon in the hammock when my homemade soft shackle gave way at the knot. In an instant I'm flat on my back and covered in beer. I'm grateful it happened in the back yard, rather than in the woods and that made me wonder...

What was your worst fall from a hammock?
    I've never fallen from one, but when I didn't tighten the ring buckles on my straps correctly, I slowly slipped to the ground. Ended up on my butt, but slowly, not a fall.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

First night on my BMT thru the smokies hike. Complete failure of my Dream hammock. Put me on the ground and broke my underquilt suspension. Tried sleeping without for 2 nights and was not enjoying myself and ended my hike. Sucked man...

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    First night on my BMT thru the smokies hike. Complete failure of my Dream hammock. Put me on the ground and broke my underquilt suspension. Tried sleeping without for 2 nights and was not enjoying myself and ended my hike. Sucked man...
    Details, please.

When I got into hammocks I was pushing and testing the limits of UL suspensions (before I realized and agree- 1" should be the minimum strap size).
    I worked my way slowly down to 3/4" grosgrain after using 1/2" webbing. (this was also before the days of Kevlar or dyneema).

So got all snuggled into my bridge hammock when the head end grosgrain strap snapped.
    I couldn't figure out what the heck happened. I got the wind knocked out of me from landing flat on my back and figured I got a concussion from slamming my head on the ground.

It wasn't until I went into the house and saw the cut on my nose and blood rolling down my face that I pieced together that it wasn't the ground but my hammock that punched me in the face.
    When the strap broke it shot the head suspension of the bridge right at me . The spreader bar was caught in there like a slingshot caught me right across the bridge of the nose.

There was that time I tried to build a bridge hammock out of tyvek... but that was only a few inches up.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Details, please.

There is another thread somewhere on here about it...but this is basically what happened...

My friend was thru hiking the BMT sobo and I decided to join him for the Smokies section. On the first night, I went to go to bed (which I had been really looking forward to) and BAM! It was the darien UL model and the fabric simply tore at the gathered end. So it wasn't a sewing failure, it was the fabric that failed. I had used the exact same set up for 200 miles earlier that year, so it wasnt user error. As I fell to the ground, the shock chord on my underquilt was over stressed and snapped. It was a real bummer having 2 critical pieces of gear fail on me on the first night on a long trip.

There is another thread somewhere on here about it...but this is basically what happened...

My friend was thru hiking the BMT sobo and I decided to join him for the Smokies section. On the first night, I went to go to bed (which I had been really looking forward to) and BAM! It was the darien UL model and the fabric simply tore at the gathered end. So it wasn't a sewing failure, it was the fabric that failed. I had used the exact same set up for 200 miles earlier that year, so it wasnt user error. As I fell to the ground, the shock chord on my underquilt was over stressed and snapped. It was a real bummer having 2 critical pieces of gear fail on me on the first night on a long trip.
    If I didn't chime in last time... that Robic 1.0 was discontinued. It was a nice experiment and led to the development of the Hybrid Line of fabrics... but something about either that run or that weave resulted in some sort of random issue with it. It was very weird... but well under 5% of the fabric failed. Out of the roll I have... only one hammock failed. Same deal though. No discernible reason- just blew up. Had to be some kind of flaw in manufacturing.
    Randy did the right thing and simply stopped offering it- though he killed off HyperD 1.0 use too. Better safe than sorry I suppose.

Little late- but something like that you could knot the end and hang with it still.

You're the only end failure I recall hearing though. The one of mine that went just opened up horizontally around the shoulder/mid back area on a tester of mine... that seemed the more typical failure if I remember right.

Images

Lesson Learned from reading this thread: Never hang higher than you are willing to fall.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Yeah, it was right at the head end; before the gathered sew part.

I got one made with the 1.2 robic xl this go around. ..

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Lesson Learned from reading this thread: Never hang higher than you are willing to fall.
    Word. Or above anything you really don't want to fall on.

Thank you,

FB

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I got dropped on my hind end once, during a section hike in PA. I was hanging alone in a campsite, just settled in to the hammock (a Hennessy Hyperlight), when my ridgeline snapped in half and dumped me about 3' to the ground. Fortunately, I mostly hit on the padded parts and then I had to tie the ridgeline back together to get a decent night's sleep. Replaced the ridgeline with much stronger dyneema line when I got home.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I haven’t had a fall yet, but I hiked with a fellow on the AT for awhile that had what we came to call a “rebirth.”

He was using an ENO sub7 that apparently developed a small tear. Or perhaps he had something in his pocket. We don’t know but it split down the middle from side to side in the middle of the night and he slipped right through.

We all had a good laugh about it. Except him, of course.

ENO replaced it for him right away, but man, what a rude awakening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++