WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Non-PCT hanging?

I've watched some videos about PCT style, but this is different.
    Tie a 1 ft piece of webbing on the end of your cord. A small carabiner on the end of that webbing. Attach your rock sack as normal. Throw it up and over a limb as normal. Unhook the rock sack. But instead of attaching the food bag to the carabiner, hook the middle of your cord into the carabiner. This makes a big loop of cord with the end hanging to the ground. Pull on the cord to get end with the carabiner to the top of the limb. Now you've got a big loop up and over the limb with no weight cutting into the limb. A pulley of sorts at the limb and one at the ground to hook the food bag to. The food bad with it's carabiner hooks into the bottom of the cord loop. Now pull the end of the cord to get the food bag up to the limb. Tie in a stop stick. Release cord. Now you've done a hang without the cord cutting into the limb with weight on it. You do need 50% more cord.
    Does this make sense?

Journal Entries

Yes, your post is understandable. Have you seen how bears treat such a hang? Did you have food in your tent? Which worked better? What would you do on Blood Mountain?

Yes, there was a detailed thread about this recently, with diagrams.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just throw my stripped 550 cord over a limb and pull up my food and tie it off to a tree. Simple. Never had an issue

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I've watched some videos about PCT style, but this is different. . .
    Check out this thread. If this idea is getting wider awareness, I'd be curious what you found.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    I just throw my stripped 550 cord over a limb and pull up my food and tie it off to a tree. Simple. Never had an issue
    I have. Thirty years ago at Walnut Bottoms in the Smokies, B.B.C. (before bear cables). A sow with three cuds in tow pulled down my food bag. Cord still attached to the food bag on one end and the tree at the other. She ate everything while we yelled, blew whistles and threw rocks. I still have an aluminum pot with teeth marks as a souvenir.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Don't try that in the Sierra Nevada. For that matter, don't try any sort of hang in the Sierra. You'll lose your food and a bear will die as a consequence.

I think the idea was "PCT Hang" as a style not necessarily a location.

++ New Posts ++