Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I kinda got the idea that they weren't as much lost...as just behind schedule and running out of provisions
    Kinda like the lady who climbed Mt Washington and called 911 because she was tired?

I'm going on a 3 day Big Cypress National Preserve solo trip making my way up to I-75 in first week of February. A map is about useless out there for most people, you're better off carrying a traditional compass than relying on a phone compass or map. What I find interesting is some of the reports on this incident states they ran out of water while being surrounded by water. It's obvious these two were not prepared to face the realities of the swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    I'm going on a 3 day Big Cypress National Preserve solo trip making my way up to I-75 in first week of February. A map is about useless out there for most people, you're better off carrying a traditional compass than relying on a phone compass or map. What I find interesting is some of the reports on this incident states they ran out of water while being surrounded by water. It's obvious these two were not prepared to face the realities of the swamp.
    Just curious how your working logistics for this section.....shuttle? Parking safe at rest area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just curious how your working logistics for this section.....shuttle? Parking safe at rest area?
    I did this section last season. There is a hiker parking lot on the other side of I75 from the rest area. I had no problems leaving my car there for a couple of days. I am fortunate to have a friend in Hollywood provide my shuttle. I read on the Facebook Florida Trail Hikers forum there is a FTA member providing shuttles out of Miami for a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I did this section last season. There is a hiker parking lot on the other side of I75 from the rest area. I had no problems leaving my car there for a couple of days. I am fortunate to have a friend in Hollywood provide my shuttle. I read on the Facebook Florida Trail Hikers forum there is a FTA member providing shuttles out of Miami for a very reasonable price.
    Great thx! Looks like will be in Miami soon and would also have 2 Days one night.

I have to ask:
    Who in their right mind would enter the Everglades without a proper boat? I’m not talking about a stink pot either.
    It boggles the mind.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I have to ask:
    Who in their right mind would enter the Everglades without a proper boat? I’m not talking about a stink pot either.
    It boggles the mind.
    Wayne
    Does a paddleboard count?

I thought about you when I was typing. It counts! A lot more than trying to hike through the Everglades.
    Are folks still running the 200 mile race for beach launched boats around south Florida?
    Wayne

I thought about you when I was typing. It counts! A lot more than trying to hike through the Everglades.
    Are folks still running the 200 mile race for beach launched boats around south Florida?
    Wayne
    Yep! Still running.
    http://www.watertribe.com/events/evergladeschallenge/
    Awesome event!
    Wayne

Yep! Still running.
    http://www.watertribe.com/events/evergladeschallenge/
    Awesome event!
    Wayne
    That’s it....2 attempts down...maybe thirds a charm! I only made it to Everglades city/ Chokoloskee....by far the craziest, hardest thing I’ve done....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just curious how your working logistics for this section.....shuttle? Parking safe at rest area
    This is my neck of the woods or I should say swamp. I live in Southwest Florida. My daughter is dropping me off at Oasis Visitor Center the day before I start. I'll hike north for three days and a buddy of mine is picking me up at the Rest Area on I75.

https://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    This is my neck of the woods or I should say swamp. I live in Southwest Florida. My daughter is dropping me off at Oasis Visitor Center the day before I start. I'll hike north for three days and a buddy of mine is picking me up at the Rest Area on I75.

https://www.nps.gov/bicy/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    Unless you have some kind of special arrangement there's nowhere to stay at Oasis if you get there a day before you start.
    Get there on the morning you want to start and 7 mile camp is very easy to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Unless you have some kind of special arrangement there's nowhere to stay at Oasis if you get there a day before you start.
    Get there on the morning you want to start and 7 mile camp is very easy to reach.
    I'm Meeting some friends at Oasis who will be camping in the area and was going to hang out with them for a night, but I did plan on going out to 7 Mile Camp if they had a change in plans.

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    I’m not on FB you mind sharing info?

maps are good for kindling and wiping in a swamp but unless you count steps and use ranger beads not much else. before gps and many times after I used dead reckoning and a compass to get out while hunting or scouting and always take a compass even if I have a gps with me. I have come close to spending the night twice and was reigned to but made it out both times by happenstance... but that's a long story.

creek

Quote Originally Posted by Creek View Post
    maps are good for kindling and wiping in a swamp but unless you count steps and use ranger beads not much else. before gps and many times after I used dead reckoning and a compass to get out while hunting or scouting and always take a compass even if I have a gps with me. I have come close to spending the night twice and was reigned to but made it out both times by happenstance... but that's a long story.

creek
    I think its hard for people to believe that everything looks alike and that even when you stop to rest for a few minutes you need to confirm your direction of travel.

http://www.insideedition.com/hikers-...s-snakes-39078

"911, what is the address of your emergency?" the dispatcher said.

"We're not sure," he told the dispatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Hey, all you WB members who are way over on the "Judging" side of the Myers-Briggs Judging/Perceiving continuum, why not just skip over a thread like this just this once? Take it as self-evident that this pair of hikers made some mistakes and move on. Thank you.
    What good would the thread be if we just said that? People should learn from reading about incidents like this, and that involves making judgement calls.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Creek View Post
    I think its hard for people to believe that everything looks alike and that even when you stop to rest for a few minutes you need to confirm your direction of travel.
    It's very true. When standing in the in the swamp sometimes there is no trail on the ground to follow. Very easy to get lost.

IMG_0076.JPG

Other times the trail is really easy to follow.

photo dec 15, 12 17 21 pm (1).jpg

Im glad they got out safe.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    It's very true. When standing in the in the swamp sometimes there is no trail on the ground to follow. Very easy to get lost.

IMG_0076.JPG

Other times the trail is really easy to follow.

photo dec 15, 12 17 21 pm (1).jpg

Im glad they got out safe.
    That's not a hiking trail. I'm not sure what it is, but it isn't a hiking trail. No way. And if they were lost, how did the police find know where to go to find them?
    Be Prepared

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++