Images

Default back from 2 weeks in ONF

I am back in cold Ohio after 2 weeks in Ocala National Forest. I brought some Florida souvenirs. I still am scratching my chigger bites. Deet didnt stop them but I did not see a single tick. I am the only guy in Cincinnati with chiggers in winter.

Nasty lil bastards....nothing lil soak in bleach water can’t fix...fortunately few weeks back when we hiked it was well below freezing so hopefully it killed a few skeeters and ticks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deet has no effect. Chiggers can easily washed off your skin with just soap and water but that's no solution for camping. The method I use is to cover my skin. That means long pants and long sleeves which does not bode well for hiking in Florida. My opinion is that sleeping in a hammock helps. That's just an opinion.

Images

BTW I should add that the 2 weeks in ONF was amazing and paradise compared to the deep freeze up here. It is a great place to hang in January. We have chiggers and ticks in Ohio too.

I've been spending weekends in the ONF since mid-Dec. No ticks, no chiggers, and mosquitoes are gone after the last two weeks freezes.

go to the garden center and get flours of sulphur, put some in a sock and dust it anywhere you don't want red bugs, I usually just dust my pants cuffs and around the wrists. it has never failed me yet in more than 30 years.

++ New Posts ++