WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SoBo advice

Default SoBo advice

I am looking for a little advice (or maybe a lot). I am considering doing a SoBo thru-hike summer/fall 2019. The reason for going south is only because of timing and work schedule. I still need to secure the time off, so the trip depends upon that.
    My concern is starting in the area some believe to be the toughest. I live in western Maine, and have done day hikes in the White Mountains and foothills of western Maine. These have been mostly easy/moderate hikes of 5 to 10 miles. I have winter camped in primitive shelters, but that was a long time ago and I had an easy escape route if necessary. To prepare, I am planning on trying to schedule 1 to 2 hikes per month for the next 18 months. I am planning on doing a NB trip of the 100 mile wilderness this summer and Katahdin if time permits. I am going to include a few 4000 footers in my “training” hikes.
    Any words of wisdom?

Journal Entries

Frankk, I'm a little older than you, a section-hiker, and I often hike in the bigger but much gentler hills and mountains of the South, with much milder winters. But I've done about 80% of Maine, and 33% of NH, so I understand your concern. For many of us folks from places besides ME/NH, our first encounter with your trails is seriously eye-opening. Your trails are shockingly hard to people who have never experienced them. But once we'd been there and found out what we were up against, we adjusted our expectations and our gear and our preparation, and we were okay. I've seen enough of Maine that I'm not scared of it anymore. Still have some hard miles to do up there and in NH, but I have confidence that I can.

And that's where you score. You already know what you're getting into. If you're good enough shape to hike there now, you'll be fine on your thru. By the way, I like your plan to do the HMW before starting. That will teach you everything you need to know.

Images

+1 on trails in New England being "shockingly hard" for some of us from the South. The Long Trail was an eye opener

I think that since you live there and can get a lot of hiking done in the next 18 months, you will be fine. You have all that time to get your gear dialed in, and your legs and lungs into shape.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

A lot of Maine can be done on overnight section hikes. Start from rt 26, hike over to Speck Pond Shelter, hike back to your car the next day. Spot a car either on East B Hill road or 26 and walk to your car from the other road. Can do the same thing from East B Hill Rd to South Arm road. Then South Arm Rd to Rt 17, Rt 17, to rt4. A long weekend from Rt 4 to 27, long weekend from 27 to Flagstaff Lake. Another long weekend from Flagstaff to Caratunk.

You're going to be much better prepared than most southounders.
    Guide to Baxter and Katahdin for Sobos (2018 version up soon): https://baxterinfo.wordpress.com/201...hdin-for-2017/
    Fakebook group (Many hikers finishing up right now): https://www.facebook.com/groups/248443865570901/
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Wise man to do a SOBO hike and knowing exactly what you are in for.
    Good luck.
    And have fun!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. I feel a little more at ease knowing I'll be starting in my own backyard. Although the terrain will be difficult, at least it will be familiar. Feel free to keep the words of wisdom coming.

Aside from going up and down Katahdin, a southbounder does not hit the really hard stuff until 171 miles into the hike, at East Flagstaff Road, so there is time to ease into things a bit and get your legs under you. The trail in that eastern section of Maine does have stretches where the treadway can be rocky/rooty/boggy but the topography is on balance much easier than what you will deal with in the 220 miles from East Flagstaff Road to Glencliff NH.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Agree Mapman. Water crossings, bugs, and what ever causes 75% of north bounders to drop out (not necessarily in that order) are much more of a concern than rocky trail. The slightly smaller weather window does not affect many, and can be addressed by returning in March to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Aside from going up and down Katahdin, a southbounder does not hit the really hard stuff until 171 miles into the hike, at East Flagstaff Road, so there is time to ease into things a bit and get your legs under you. The trail in that eastern section of Maine does have stretches where the treadway can be rocky/rooty/boggy but the topography is on balance much easier than what you will deal with in the 220 miles from East Flagstaff Road to Glencliff NH.
    I have run into a few folks who would beg to differ White Cap and the rock staircase to heaven seems to be the point where a lot of Sobos figure out that the HWM is not going to be as easy as they thought it was. The daily mileage for many drops precipitously from there to Monson. Its only a 1500 foot climb but that 1 1/2 mile stretch to the summit is an eye opener. I do agree that the ascent up Bigelow after East Flagstaff road is definitely welcome to the big time!

Since the OP is in Limerick, there is plenty of terrain in the Whites to practice on. There are several Meetup groups running hikes in the whites pretty consistently, although finding overnight trips is lot rarer

On my Southbound hike in 2012 I found that I lost upper body strength after many weeks in the mid-Atlantic and the South. From that perspective stating in the North where there is scrambling and occasional bouldering is advantageous.
    Your hike prep sounds well reasoned, but ultimately its efficacy will depend on your hiking style once you are on the AT. It takes an average hiker from two weeks to four weeks on the trail to adjust to walking every day, depending on how many miles each day. A Southbounder with ambitious plans should consider some very frequent hikes in the month leading up to Katahdin.
    Feel free to ask me any questions as you prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have run into a few folks who would beg to differ White Cap and the rock staircase to heaven seems to be the point where a lot of Sobos figure out that the HWM is not going to be as easy as they thought it was. The daily mileage for many drops precipitously from there to Monson. Its only a 1500 foot climb but that 1 1/2 mile stretch to the summit is an eye opener. I do agree that the ascent up Bigelow after East Flagstaff road is definitely welcome to the big time!

Since the OP is in Limerick, there is plenty of terrain in the Whites to practice on. There are several Meetup groups running hikes in the whites pretty consistently, although finding overnight trips is lot rarer
    If one times it right, you can stay in Logan Brook and break that climb in two. The numbered mountains are what killed me. I was ready to stop at 3rd mountain, but my gf wanted to go to Cloud Pond, so I did 3rd and a half and fourth mountain. Cloud pond was nice.

Whatever you do you probably won’t be in shape for what Maine has to offer you going SOBO, but Maine is one of the best parts, so take your time getting in shape-look around and enjoy. You’ll be able to pick up pace sooner than later, although that’s really your last worry. I did my fair share of 20 mi days in maine. But mainly stuck to mid teens. I did back to back 30s in New Hampshire and really hit my stride in Vermont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Eh. I disagree. All of Maine is pretty arduous. The rocks, roots and wetness all end up being challenging. But yes, it does it harder around those miles. It won’t be easy though getting there.

Images

If you go SOBO, also consider the weather you will be finishing in. You may want to check out the NC/TN/GA mountain weather forecasts for this time of year. http://www.atweather.org/. I'm a section hiker and hiked Maine/NH/to Killington in two sections over the prior two summers. ME/NH were difficult, but beautiful. I also highly recommend hiking poles at our age.

Hey there, I just finished my SOBO thru in December. Maine seems so long ago, it was hard, but that was part of the fun. I would suggest starting early (even though the bugs will be bad) so you can take your time up north, and not get stuck in the cold down south. I spent a whole month in Maine, and I'm glad I did because it was absolutely beautiful. I didn't feel really strong until New Hampshire, to me the Whites were actually pretty easy compared to Maine. I know a lot people stress about them, I know I did. I started June 12- Dec 9th. I finished with record snow in Georgia. It was a fun and an epic finish (yes Springer was EPIC!) but I was not really expecting or prepared for how cold it got the last month on the trail (I was genuinely concerned about frost bite). I basically didn't stop moving all day, or I was in my sleeping bag. I didn't really think about that when planning, so I would keep that in mind. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I miss talking bout the trail and I think my family is sick of hearing about it!

Quote Originally Posted by vdubb View Post
    Hey there, I just finished my SOBO thru in December. Maine seems so long ago, it was hard, but that was part of the fun. I would suggest starting early (even though the bugs will be bad) so you can take your time up north, and not get stuck in the cold down south. I spent a whole month in Maine, and I'm glad I did because it was absolutely beautiful. I didn't feel really strong until New Hampshire, to me the Whites were actually pretty easy compared to Maine. I know a lot people stress about them, I know I did. I started June 12- Dec 9th. I finished with record snow in Georgia. It was a fun and an epic finish (yes Springer was EPIC!) but I was not really expecting or prepared for how cold it got the last month on the trail (I was genuinely concerned about frost bite). I basically didn't stop moving all day, or I was in my sleeping bag. I didn't really think about that when planning, so I would keep that in mind. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I miss talking bout the trail and I think my family is sick of hearing about it!
    Perhaps you could post a trip report detailing the highlights of your SOBO thru. I’m sure many here would enjoy reading it.

Hey vdubb, Congratulations on completing your hike! Way to go man.
    I would be curious to hear more about the weather at the end of the hike. I will probably be finishing around the same time as you; perhaps even a little later. I won't be able to start until the end of June. I am use to working in the cold and I have winter camped...but, that is not the same as being on the trail for a month of cold. What were the daytime and nighttime temperatures like? Snowfall accumulation, if any? I have never hiked southern mountains, so I nothing to use as a gauge.
    I look forward to hearing about your experience.
    By the way, is vdubb a VW reference?

This year's winter was unusually cold early. and with early snowfall. However, no one from Maine with 4 season camping experience will have issues with winter in the southern mountains...even this year. Typically highs in the 30's to low 50's and nights from the 30's down into the low teens. And I agree with posters above, if you hike in southern Maine and northern NH, our mountains will not be an issue unless you are severely worn out. As someone said above, when I hiked up there, it was unlike anything most of us have ever seen or dealt with.

Hi TJ,
    Getting ready for the 100MW warm up walk. I am going to start in Monson and go north and finish at Katahdin. Do You know if I need a reservation and if there is a fee to enter?
    Thanks,
    Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++