Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cowboy camping/tarping ONF section during winter.....skeeters/ticks?

Currently I’m tentless and planning to do the 70ish mile section with my 11 year old over Xmas break. I’ve moved to a tarp/duomid, I have a bivi but not for my son. Are ticks still around in December- February? We would only go in cooler weather. I’ve never cowboy camped in Fl just curious....obviously would try to pick a good site with less high grass etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After this cold snap skeeters will be greatly reduced. They were still pretty active when I was out a week ago. I didn't pick up or see any ticks my last two trips out there (last week and the week before). Only the small huntsman-like spiders, the glowing eyes in your headlamp, might crawl on your pad but doubt they would do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    After this cold snap skeeters will be greatly reduced. They were still pretty active when I was out a week ago. I didn't pick up or see any ticks my last two trips out there (last week and the week before). Only the small huntsman-like spiders, the glowing eyes in your headlamp, might crawl on your pad but doubt they would do anything.
    Thx...I’m in Atlantic beach about 1.5 hours north of Rodman. Finally got some cold weather, assuming probably froze in ONF. Not too concerned w spiders but hate ticks! Looking to leave truck at Rodman campground shuttle to Clearwater lake hike back to campground as hear has safer parking.

Ticks can be active all year round, but are significantly less active after several days of hard freezing weather. You're never completely safe from ticks, but, I get lazy and don't check every night when I haven't see any for several days and the weather is freezing.

As for cowboy camping, the danger is much, much, much more walking through grass than sleeping in it. Camp how you like. If you find there are ticks around, do careful checks every night.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Thx...I’m in Atlantic beach about 1.5 hours north of Rodman. Finally got some cold weather, assuming probably froze in ONF. Not too concerned w spiders but hate ticks! Looking to leave truck at Rodman campground shuttle to Clearwater lake hike back to campground as hear has safer parking.

It's always a few degrees cooler out in the sticks vs Ocala. If Ocala is going to be 31 tonight, it'll be in the 20s out on the trail. As nsherry mentioned, always good to check and I do as much every time I hike out there. Also, it's general gun season so you are required to stay in designated campgrounds or hidden pond, in case you weren't aware.

It's always a few degrees cooler out in the sticks vs Ocala. If Ocala is going to be 31 tonight, it'll be in the 20s out on the trail. As nsherry mentioned, always good to check and I do as much every time I hike out there. Also, it's general gun season so you are required to stay in designated campgrounds or hidden pond, in case you weren't aware.
    Thx..you happen to know when rifle season closes?

If you're going at Christmas, you'll see a lot of hunters.

Thx..you happen to know when rifle season closes?

Depends on the zone but no earlier than 1/07.

Here's the FWC site: http://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/

Depends on the zone but no earlier than 1/07.

Here's the FWC site: http://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/
    Thx....

Want to use my Squall 2, hit me up.

Protect food from daring rampaging squirrels when near CGs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I was out at hidden pond on Sat. for an overnighter. No ticks, still some skeeters (maybe about half as many as two weeks ago). There is more water out on the crooked springs prairie thanks to Irma. It's probably going to take a couple mid-20s nights to get them close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Want to use my Squall 2, hit me up.
    Apriciate the offer. Still waiting on cooler weather and think the mid will be fine but plan to treat my polycro sheets w permethrin...

White albino Grey squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    White albino Grey squirrels.
    ?

My bad. White Fox squirrels much larger in size than the Fox squirrels in the northeast. That's why I made that mistake. They are very aggressive along with birds, crows, raptors, etc, even Mourning Doves at high use Ocala NF CG's. You'll run into opossum and armadillos too. Of course, there are black bears made more aggressive and unnaturally habituated due to human behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My bad. White Fox squirrels much larger in size than the Fox squirrels in the northeast. That's why I made that mistake. They are very aggressive along with birds, crows, raptors, etc, even Mourning Doves at high use Ocala NF CG's. You'll run into opossum and armadillos too. Of course, there are black bears made more aggressive and unnaturally habituated due to human behaviors.
    I’m not concerned with my native wildlife.....just hate skeeters and ticks. Done tons of camping here in Fl just not with a open tarp....attacking raptors...saw a warning sign on CT and recently on AT that warned against this....I rehab raptors and can’t imagine being afraid of a bird...if that’s the case one should stay inside...had this guy riding shot gun...

Apriciate the offer. Still waiting on cooler weather and think the mid will be fine but plan to treat my polycro sheets w permethrin...

Permethrin works on clothing because it binds to the fabric. Are you sure spraying on plastic is effective? Wondering if you would be giving yourself a false sense of security?
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Permethrin works on clothing because it binds to the fabric. Are you sure spraying on plastic is effective? Wondering if you would be giving yourself a false sense of security?
    Yea I wondered if I sprayed or soaked then let dry in sun if the residue would have any effect...may not bother.

There's a little cool spell coming up for the beginning of the year. That time might be your best bet for getting a trip in for the holidays. Lows in the 30's will keep any remaining skeeters in check.

I was back out at crooked springs on the 22/23rd. It's almost spring-like out there except for the short days. Still have not found any ticks on me or my gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++