WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any Smokers out there??

I am wanting to get into smoking meat. My price range for this item max's out at about $400. I would like it to be stainless, and digital. I have had my eye on the Bradley 6 tray Thoughts on this or others? I am wanting it to be pretty self reliant so thus is where the digital part comes into play. I don't want to have to be building fires and such.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I am wanting to get into smoking meat. My price range for this item max's out at about $400. I would like it to be stainless, and digital. I have had my eye on the Bradley 6 tray Thoughts on this or others? I am wanting it to be pretty self reliant so thus is where the digital part comes into play. I don't want to have to be building fires and such.
    If you don’t want to build a fire, you’re not really smoking.....

I kid, I kid.

Since you want to go electric, I can’t be of much help with the smoker you use, but I can send you some rub recipes and general cooking tips once you get to that point.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to another obsession.

I've had my Big Green Egg for over 25 years and it has served me well.

My Granny smokes crawdads.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    My Granny smokes crawdads.
    Now there's a sentence I didn't expect to hear today.

Send address! Never enough crawdads! If she throws in frog legs and catfish just point in her direction I'll find her!

Mom grew up in southern LA, never heard of smoked crawfish....a must try. Thanks

I have a big green egg, best money I’ve ever spent. I bought a digiQ controller which keeps the temp EXACTLY stable at whatever you set it at for hours.

I would also look at the new traeger grills, hearing great things.

While not digital or even electric, I was given an ECB (el cheapo brinkman) smoker several years back, and it has served me well for smoking a variety of foods.

The bottom holds the charcoal, in the middle is a water tray to keep foods moist, and the food goes on one or both racks above the water. Once the charcoal is lit, water in the water pan, food on the rack(s), close it up and leave it alone... the charcoal will burn slowly for up to 6 hours. A 6 lb pork butt requires one charcoal refill (estimated 2 hrs per pound with bone-in pork butt), and some water needs to be added to the water pan at this time, also. Pretty low fiddle factor, low budget, great results... but for best results, find the model with the adjustable vents.

I've also smoked sea trout in it, which takes maybe an hour?

I haven't had good luck with ribs, but I've found a couple great bbq joints around that sell the ribs ready to eat for less than I can buy them at the grocery store - so I don't bother trying to smoke my own anymore.

++ New Posts ++