WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Did you even bother to call North Face and see what they say? They might have made you a good offer.

Good plan-why add to the landfill if you like the tent? Hope it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrappe View Post
    I have an old North Face tent that my wife and I purchased in 1985 before we backpacked in Colorado. While it is a smaller 2 man tent we used it an many trips even when our son was small for everything. Later we bought a REI Half Dome 2 + and the older tent was stored away. I got it out years ago and it had a bad smell so I made the mistake of washing it in the machine and the old waterproofing peeled off. I would now like to take it on solo trips since it packs down smaller and is lighter than the REI one. I need to put some waterproofing on it and the fly before I do. I have seen some videos on Youtube about different products but would like to get opinions as to the best product and method by those who may have done this before.
    Thank You,
    Mike
    If you bought it from REI, just bring it back and they will take care of you. The other day I witnessed a guy returning a TNF down jacket that he bought in 1970s. No kidding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    ----don't waste your time or $$$ on 30 yr old gear!
    Let it go---it has served you well but time for newer and better gear,
    Nothing lasts forever!
    I can understand the sentimental attachment to a tent from the 1980s or the 1970s!! I'd give almost anything to do a trip with my old North Face Toulumne tent or my old North Face Westwind tent. Both are in the Trip Archive Toilet.

another tslsls.jpg
    Ye Olde Blessed Toulumne circa 1978.

Sadly when Shunka Dog was a puppy I had the old Toulumne set up next to my Tipi and he chewed the floor in half. Sayonara tent.

But I agree with Tawa and others---Tain't no point in trying to keep an old tent alive. I regard tents as disposable items like socks and once worn out need to be replaced. A good tent needs to keep you alive in the backcountry, meaning dry and warm---despite rain deluges and high winds and bitter cold and blizzards etc. Sentimental tents can be used in the backyard to relive the glory days, otherwise it's upgrade city for me with the best tent I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    If you bought it from REI, just bring it back and they will take care of you. The other day I witnessed a guy returning a TNF down jacket that he bought in 1970s. No kidding.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk
    Which is why they had to revise their returns policy.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    Based on my experience, you may find out ... at the most inopportune time ... that the fabric has weakened as well. We had three tents from the 70s/80s. One of them I touched up the waterproofing, but during the first windstorm it ripped badly. As I daughter and a friend were staying in it on a trip out west with my wife in a teardrop, they had to buy a new tent the next day.
    ^^
    1. Not worth trouble
    2. Not worth risk

How about a nice lightweight tarp to go over it? Leave the old rainfly home. You could leave the windows open sometimes, even the doors. If it is big enough, you could even sleep under just the tarp. Might even decide to leave it home to rest once in a while.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++