WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Getting Hitched On The trail

Iron Master's Hostel at Pine Grove State Park, (PA) will offer a Honeymoon Suite this Spring. Is it a crazy idea to get hitched and Honeymoon on the trail? (Or re-married in some cases.) Has anyone done it?http://ironmastersmansion.com/

Maryland has same day marriage, should you and that special trail bunny you met be passing through.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Hmmm, I think if one got hitched to another hiker it would be cool to honeymoon on the trail. That sort of intense 24-7 togetherness would be great. If one's new spouse is not a hiker, I'm not sure about a long hike for a honeymoon. That might be crazy.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Every year there are people who get married and then do the trail as a honeymoon. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes it doesn't. Jim met a couple in NC who had tried that. She went home after 100 miles. He wanted to keep hiking. Jim asked him, "Which is more important, your marriage or your hike?" I don't know what he decided.

For most people, a thruhike is a lot of togetherness, more than a couple would get in a dozen years of marriage. I think it would be better to hike first, decide whether you really can stand 24/7 together, and then decide whether or not to marry. After a few months, you've either decided the person is someone you want to spend a lifetime with, or someone you don't even like any more.

Journal Entries

We did our first AT section hike in November 2010, for our 20th anniversary. We'll finish in November 2020, for our 30th.

We know a local guy who thru-hiked a couple years ago. He recently married a non-hiker girl we've known for years. She went backpacking with us once, and hiking occasionally. They planned their ceremony on a mountaintop on the trail. Perfect.

I saw a couple who get married at Chimney pond in Baxter. They wanted to do it at the summit, but it was Columbus day weekend and the weather was nasty. The rest of the wedding party were not dressed for hiking and most had street shoes on. They were not happy.

I guess technically the Iron Masters hostel is on the trail, but not really my idea of being on the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Years ago my wife and I celebrated our anniversary at the Iron Master's Hostel.
    Once the caretaker found out he even moved us into our own private room so we could celebrate properly.

I seem to remember a couple getting married at Trail Days.

Continuing to do the thing you’ve been doing for the past month(s) for the coming month(s) doesn’t seem like much of a honeymoon but to each their own.

My wife attended someone's wedding on the Trail, in the gazebo at Boiling Springs. Although these folks were notable in the organized hiking community (as in, the bride was on the ATC board), it was not uncommon for me in the time I lived in Boiling Springs to see wedding ceremonies there - perhaps not all Trail related folks. I understand that some type of ceremonial permit is required at that location, surely the ATC office within sight of the spot would know how those details would be managed.

Last week, I stopped at the Doyle for lunch and checked in on Facebook. The phone started asking me questions, and since it wasn't busy I asked Vickey how she wanted me to answer them. One of the questions was "is this romantic?" and she then told me a story about a couple with a Jack Russell who had stayed there a couple of days once, and a couple of years later she said they sent a photo of their toddler indicating the child had been conceived there. So I clicked "yes" to that one.

++ New Posts ++