WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Traction devices for AT winter hike through Smokies.

Planning on a late January hike on the AT in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Looking for recommendations for best traction devices which would be suitable for the Smokies in late January.

Thanks for your advice..

I used Kahtoola micro spikes on a trip last February, from Big Creek to Laurel Gap shelter then Balsam Mtn. to the AT and back to Big Creek. They worked well in roughly 4 to 6 inches of snow that was starting to melt and a little slushy on top. Just hope the weather is good and you don't need snow shoes.

If you are considering Kahtoolas, take a look at Hillsounds Trail crampons, the extra velcro strap over the top of the foot keeps them on a bit more securely.

Whatever you do make sure you get the right size. The rubber should be up over the widest part of you shoe and the chains should end up snug against the sole of your boot. If they are hanging loose and jingle they are not fit right. Inevitably something will catch on the chain and you will walk out of the crampon and may not notice it.I have found a few singles over the years sitting in the middle of a trail. The Hillsound top strap allows them to be snugged up and make it very difficult to get pulled off. The Hillsounds are a better on ice flows. Probably far less of issue down south, but I expect folks would be shocked on what I have hiking up with just Hillsounds (including inadvertently up Mt Washington in NH in winter, when I left the crampons on the kitchen table). Note Hillsound also makes an exact clone of the Kahtoola for few less bucks, I would suggest pay extra for the Trail Crampon. The velcro strap isnt rocket science, it could easily fit to a Kahtoola (I have done so).

Note no matter what brand, if the snow is wet and sticky, snow can "ball" up on the chains. There are various home remedies but the reality its going to happen on occasion if the conditions are right.

FWIW - I agree with Burrhead, Kahtoola micro spikes are probably the best traction devices for the conditions you may run across. I would avoid Yaktraks, which in my experience don't hold up well in most any level of trail use. Crampons would be overkill. Hillsound micro spikes may work ok, but I find those to be a fairly aggressive traction device with spikes longer than the Kahtoolas, which seem to catch more on rocks, roots, and trail leaf litter in shallow snow and ice. I use the Hillsounds in conditions where Kahtoolas aren't enough and crampons are still overkill.

Microspikes are part of my standard winter load on my January/February trips and they work especially good on nutbusting trails with dry snow or ice. They do not work in deep wet snow!! Why? Because they will pick up 5 lbs of wet snow and form a big ball under each foot and throw you to the ground---they're terrible in heavy wet snow. Better to just use your boots. But for sketchy steep icy sections or deep cold/snow they are great.

Images

Another +1 for Kahtoola Microspikes. One other UL option if an icy/slick trail is less of a probability is those Yaktrax. 5 oz vs more like 14. They do work for very brief little stretches if weight is critical on your hike. We carried the yaktrax on this last year's Sierra High route trek (where we definitely wanted to minimize weight!), used them for maybe 2 miles total here and there, worked just fine. No, they are not nearly as durable as microspikes, but durable enough for light use.

Used my Yaktrax for the first time today going up Blood Mountain. I was rather surprised at how little they helped in a lot of places. How much better are the Microspikes compared to the Yaktrax? Are the chain versions any better?

MVIMG_20171216_080048.jpgMVIMG_20171216_132046.jpg

Yaktrax may be good for someone going out to the mailbox but pretty close to useless for hiking. Microspikes are major upgrades. Dont wast your money on Yaktrax, they will come off when you most need them.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Used my Yaktrax for the first time today going up Blood Mountain. I was rather surprised at how little they helped in a lot of places. How much better are the Microspikes compared to the Yaktrax? Are the chain versions any better?

The difference is night and day. I have hundreds of miles on my katoola microspikes and they never fail to impress me. Yaktrax on the otherhand I wouldn't trust for much more than an icy sidewalk.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The difference is night and day. I have hundreds of miles on my katoola microspikes and they never fail to impress me. Yaktrax on the otherhand I wouldn't trust for much more than an icy sidewalk.
    Yeah, but this is precisely what I was referring to, most of the time hiking this time of year in places like the smokies is just this; the occasional "icy sidewalk". I do agree, microspikes are much better, but there are times when all you need are yaktrax.

I too, have hundreds of miles in microspikes, I completely wore out a pair and am working on wearing out another; they are a fantastic piece of gear. So is a $500 Arcteryx Alpha LT jacket.... but there are times when a $10 dri-duck jacket works just fine too.

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm going to go with the Kahtoola Microspikes.

Looks like my local REI has them in stock. I'll check them out and wear my boots so I can get the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post

Indeed.

I think some people might've thought I was just being a DB about YakTrax, however I really don't want to see anyone get hurt, and these things pose a significant danger for winter trail walkers.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Yaktrax may be good for someone going out to the mailbox but pretty close to useless for hiking. Microspikes are major upgrades. Dont wast your money on Yaktrax, they will come off when you most need them.
    I always see one at trailhead kiosks. I’m going to start collecting them and see If I can get a matching set.

Images

Comparing Yaktrax to Microspikes is like comparing cheap knock off tennis shoes you would buy at Walmart to high end Nike running shoes specifically designed for what you want them for, running. If you want to be able to walk down an icy trail without busting your arse, please please please don't waste your money on Yaktrax. Go with the Microspikes. This isn't like splitting hairs, it's night and day difference.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Anyone have experience with Kahtoola nanospikes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Anyone have experience with Kahtoola nanospikes?

I have maybe 30 miles of icy AT on mine and have been happy with them. Good fit, good grip, seems like good wear.

Roger everyone else on Yaktrax except that I found the pair I received as a present from a well-intended nonhiker didn’t help on an icy sidewalk either.

I have no experience with any of this, but just watched this
    https://youtu.be/SLXTDIpwdQM
    a few days ago on a channel I started looking at....might be helpful to you. Seems like these folks tried a few different types....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW - I agree with Burrhead, Kahtoola micro spikes are probably the best traction devices for the conditions you may run across. I would avoid Yaktraks, which in my experience don't hold up well in most any level of trail use. Crampons would be overkill. Hillsound micro spikes may work ok, but I find those to be a fairly aggressive traction device with spikes longer than the Kahtoolas, which seem to catch more on rocks, roots, and trail leaf litter in shallow snow and ice. I use the Hillsounds in conditions where Kahtoolas aren't enough and crampons are still overkill.
    I agree with Traveler. It depends on the Jan GSMNP AT conditions. Even Kahtoola microspikes may be too much for reasons he gave for the Hillhounds. Here's what I said on a different thread about the same question but for one starting Mar 1 NOBO. https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...-NoBo-AT-start

Unless deep icy frozen trails are the GSMNP conditions self tapping hex head screws may work just fine. Please read fully what I said on that thread as it may save you some grief, added wt, inconvenience, and expense.

I'm going to pipe in here and support what appears to be the lone dissenter, Colorado Rob.

Yeah, YakTraks don't have anywhere near the traction of Microspikes. BUT, unlike alluded to in several posts above, they provide significant advantage over bare boots. AND, they are NOT "dangerous" unless you are trying to do things with them that are beyond their usefulness, kinda like bare boots/shoes are "dangerous" if you are trying to do things that are dangerous without additional traction. But, we don't see a whole thread talking about how hiking in shoes and boots is dangerous!

YakTraks can be useful if you are not using them extensively and/or using them on higher angle stuff. Kinda like an emergency blanket is NOT a tent, but many people take them "just in case" because they are light enough to be minimal cost in weight for measurably, even if slight, reduced risk.

Personally, if I were to only have one, I would absolutely buy Microspikes as they are much more versatile ,durable, and of manageable weight. I have also gone winter hiking with friends that already had YakTraks and sure, they struggled when we were climbing over more difficult spots, but with care, they made it and without the YakTraks, we wouldn't have gone hiking in those conditions at all.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++