WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 17 Day Quest for a White Christmas

I got to squeeze one last 2017 trip before Christmas and most of it was spent in the Citico/Slickrock wilderness during a series of blizzards and early December cold snaps. I even got to meet my old backpacking buddies Hoppin John and Eddie 68. My plan was to pull an 18 day trip but a pesky hunting dog required saving and rescue which shortened my trip by one day.

All trip pics can be seen here---
    https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...ite-Christmas/

17 DAY QUEST
    FOR A
    WHITE
    CHRISTMAS

TRIP 187
    November 27-December 13, 2017

HIGHLIGHTS
    **PULLING THE ROCKY FLATS/CROWDER LOOP
    **CLEARING BIG STACK GAP TRAIL
    **TRAILWORKED NICHOLS COVE AGAIN
    **5 DAYS ON SLICKROCK CREEK
    **BMT BACKPACKER JOSH, FIRST BACKPACKER SEEN IN 10 DAYS
    **CAMPING WITH HOPPIN JOHN AND EDDIE 68 ON HANGOVER MOUNTAIN
    **BLIZZARD ON HANGOVER MT
    **BLIZZARD ON BOB MT WITH JOHN AND EDDIE
    **5 DAYS IN THE SNOW
    **A COLD 10F BOB MORNING
    **3 BACKPACKERS SEEN IN 17 DAYS

TRAILS
    Entrance in Beehouse Gap
    Beehouse Roadwalk
    Warden's Field
    Rocky Flats Trail
    **Ed Abbey Camp**
    Rocky Flats
    **Johnny's Spur**
    Rocky Flats
    Doublecamp Creek Goat Path
    Crowder Branch Trail Up
    **Crow Horse Camp**
    Crowder Trail/Fodderstack Ridge
    Big Stack Gap Trail
    Slickrock Creek Trail
    **Wildcat Falls Camp**
    Slickrock Creek Downstream
    **Buffalo Rock Camp**
    Nichols Cove Trail Up
    **Dog Hat Camp**
    Nichols Cove Up to Windy Gap and Down to Slickrock Creek
    Nutbuster Trail Leg 1
    **Nut Gate Camp**
    Nut Trail Backtrack Down
    Big Fat Trail up to Gap
    Windy Gap Trail
    **Windy Gap Spring Camp**
    Windy Gap Trail Back to Big Fat Gap
    Hangover Lead South Up
    **Elysium Fields**
    Hangover Lead South Up to Saddle Tree Gap
    Four Mile Ridge to Haoe Peak (Meet John and Eddie)
    Backtrack off Haoe Peak to Hangover Mt
    **Airjet Camp on Hangover Mt**
    Four Mile Ridge Heading West
    **Raven Camp on Bob Mt(2)**
    54A South to Cold Spring Gap
    Fodderstack Ridge Trail to Beech Gap
    Skyway Roadwalk West
    Jeffrey Hell Trail
    **Frustration Camp**
    Jeffrey Hell to Skyway
    Skyway Roadwalk West
    Flats Mt Trail
    **Camp Hope on Flats Mt**
    Flats Mt Backtrack to Skyway
    Skyway Roadwalk
    Long Branch Trail
    **Turkey Feather Camp**
    Long Branch Trail Backtrack to Skyway
    Skyway Roadwalk to Indian Boundary Rd Jct and OUT

All long winter trips start with a big pack to accommodate a 40+lb food load and the usual accoutrements of idiocy. Under the pack lid is my down parka and down pants. The vertical blue bag is my Thermarest Trail Pro pad. The left green bag is my rice cakes bag. The barely visible low green Hilleberg bag is my 8 lb 10 oz Keron tent.

I always set a number of goals for a trip and my first goal was to pull the Rocky Flats/Crowders Branch loop up to Fodderstack Ridge and down to Slickrock Creek. This pic shows the old Rocky Flats chimney homesite where I took a break for some pics. Btw, the red sack on right is my Ridgerest Solar pad.

Crowder Branch trail is a real nutbuster with a 90+ lb pack and has several separate Nut climbs. Near the top of Mixed Nuts #3 I hit a blowdown which I cut with my corona folding saw.

I finally reach the top O the Nuts at Crowder Horse Camp and get caught in a cold December rainstorm but by morning I'm ready to pack up and pass over Fodderstack Ridge down to Slickrock Creek.

I leave Crowder Horse Camp and reach Crowder Camp atop Fodderstack Ridge before losing 1,500 feet on a two mile trail to Slickrock Creek.

I reach Slickrock Creek and pull this crossing in my crocs to reach Wildcat Falls and my camp.

I leave Wildcat Falls and pull 7 cold croc crossings---this being #7 and one of my most favorite spots cuz it's beautiful. This crossing gets me down to Buffalo Rock and my camp by the Nichols Cove trail jct and exit out of the Slickrock valley. Continuing trail is visible on right.

After my last 7th crossing I reach Buffalo Rock and set up camp nearby---another favorite spot.

After a night by Buffalo Rock I take Nichols Cove trail up to Windy Gap and back down to Slickrock Creek and then take Big Fat trail to Big Fat Gap and get on the Benton MacKaye trail up to Hangover Mt where I met Josh, a BMT section hiker and the first backpacker I see in 10 days. He's coming north from Ocoee River and headed to Fontana.

I only see 3 backpackers in 17 days and here are the other two---and old backpacking friends---Hoppin John and Eddie. I reach Hangover Mt and started heading West on Four Mile Ridge and we run into each other so I backtrack with them to Hangover Mt where we set up our separate tents.

Hoppin John sets up his Hilleberg Allak tent in the Clearcut Camps on Hangover Mt at 5,000 feet. He's squared away.

No visit to the Hangover is complete without visiting the best view in the Southeast---on the Hangover rocks. Mt LeConte in the Smokies is directly behind John's head and the lake is Calderwood and part of the Fontana lakes.

By the morning of Day 12 we watch Hangover Mt turn wintry and cold and I go out to survey my tent in Airjet Camp above John and Eddie's Clearcut Camp.

I leave my higher camp and get all packed up and reach John's camp as he packs as we all plan backpacking 3 miles to Bob Bald at 5,300 feet. It takes us four hours in a light blizzard.

I watch Eddie getting his crap squared and it reminds me---the hardest part of winter backpacking is packing up in the morning. It's all about the Hands and Feet.

We leave the Hangover and climb to Haoe Peak for this pic. It's cold but awesome when Miss Nature squeezes out her white teat milk shake.

We finally reach Bob Mt at 5,300 feet and Eddie gets his old tent set up for a cold night.

John gets his Allak tent set up and we're almost ready for another cold night. Red against White is spectacular.

By Day 13 Eddie and Hoppin John are ready to leave the mountain and pull their 3.5 mile hike out. I decide to pull a zero day on the Bob and get through maybe my coldest night of the trip.

My zero Day 13 atop the mighty Bob. By Day 14 I'm ready to get off this mountain and pull my 10+ mile hike to my evac point on Day 17.

I leave Bob Mt in the snow and after several miles reach Flats Mt when this abandoned hunting dog finds me and we camp together for 3 days as I make my way to my evac point. On my last day I call the collar number and the poor animal gets rescued by his owner.

This makes a fitting end of the trip pic as I stand by the new bulletin board into the Citico wilderness. January looks to be even colder, boys.

Great pics, Tipi.

Can you post a list of clothing, both worn and carried, for a trip like this?

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Great pics, Tipi.

Can you post a list of clothing, both worn and carried, for a trip like this?
    Skin out---
    smartwool mountaineer socks, two pair---one for hiking, one kept dry always for sleeping. . . sometimes doubled for sleeping.
    Icebreaker merino leggings 260 wt.
    patagonia underwear briefs with NF shorts.
    long sleeve silk top, usually under a NF t-shirt.
    Patagonia capilene midweight top under a capilene thermal weight hoody.

Arcteryx Delta fleece jacket.
    FF Icefall down parka
    WM Flight down pants.

Two pair gloves. (Mt Hardwear Nilas down mittens for deep cold).
    Turtle Fur fleece hat---usually under capilene hoody
    Patagonia balaclava just in case.

OR Foray rain pants.
    Arcteryx Alpha SV rain jacket.

Journal Entries
    Images

Is that an R1.4 coozie? Looks effective for the cold stuff!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Enjoyed the report! Thanks for writing it up.

Images

Awesome pictures. I especially like the one taken at Crowder Horse Camp.
    Have you ever thought of pulling some gear with a sled/pulk?

Images

Outstanding as always! My crew and I are planning to get up there 27-30 of this month. Hoping we get another serious round of snow, else might have to head elsewhere to find it. Built a pulk and plan to give it a go this year. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    Awesome pictures. I especially like the one taken at Crowder Horse Camp.
    Have you ever thought of pulling some gear with a sled/pulk?
    We don't get enough snow down here to justify a pulk . . . plus the trails in the Citico/Slickrock are just too rugged for such a thing. In fact, I've never seen a backpacker in the Southeast using snowshoes.

Images

Someone had a pulk out there last February's snow,around Hangover area. Definitely had enough snow for some shoes. Most the trail had 9+ inches above 4000ft. Was serious work post-holing uphill.

My Allak is green, with envy.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    My Allak is green, with envy.
    Red or Green, I've had both colors over the years---except for the Sand color. I really like Red against the white of snow.

Red definitely looks good in snow. How old is Hopper's?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Skin out---
    smartwool mountaineer socks, two pair---one for hiking, one kept dry always for sleeping. . . sometimes doubled for sleeping.

FF Icefall down parka
    WM Flight down pants.

OR Foray rain pants.
    Couting 6 maybe 7 torso pieces possibly a few rather heavily insulating. Why?...particularly when you bring along a bomber tent (adds to sleep warmth), a VERY warm insulating bag and pad (tend towards over compensating with an overly warm bag), bring along three pr of very warm socks, and various accessories,
    (hats, hoods, gloves/mittens, hand pockets (in jackets), load up on good food,....Is it because you're doing trail work and spending much time standing around in almost all your pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Skin out---

FF Icefall down parka
    WM Flight down pants.

OR Foray rain pants.
    Couting 6 maybe 7 torso pieces possibly a few rather heavily insulating. Why?...particularly when you bring along a bomber tent (adds to sleep warmth), a VERY warm insulating bag and pad (tend towards over compensating with an overly warm bag), bring along three pr of very warm socks, and various accessories,
    (hats, hoods, gloves/mittens, hand pockets (in jackets), load up on good food,....Is it because you're doing trail work and spending much time standing around in almost all your pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You missed the thing on TWO pairs of socks, not three.

I have four levels of Top Layers---
    ** Baselayer---silk top under t-shirt for most hiking (or under rain jacket if cold).
    ** Midlayer---patagonia capilene tops over baselayer for most hiking if cold (under rain jacket if really cold).
    ** Outer Layer---Arcteryx fleece jacket---rarely worn when actually backpacking unless it's severely cold. Worn mostly in camp under down parka for severe cold (10F or 0F or -10F)
    ** Extreme Outer---Icefall down parka.

So a total really of 5 torso pieces (or 4)---as the silk top with T-shirt forms it own single baselayer. The two patagonia capilene tops are used as one piece and sandwiched together to form such a piece---a large midweight capilene under an extra large thermal weight hoody. This I regard as a single midlayer piece---and gets the most backpacking/movement action when it's cold---using the rain jacket over it when very cold.

The bulky fleece jacket (polartec 300) augments my Icefall parka when in camp as both are never used for actual backpacking . . . or rarely like once every 3 years etc.

It's a good winter system for me and the only thing I would change would be to upgrade my down parka to something new with more loft, as my old Icefall has seen better days and is getting less warm year by year. I need to wash the dang thing.

Trip 187 (65)-M.jpg
    This pic show my baselayer level---thin silk top under my backpacking NF t-shirt. When it's slightly cold.

Trip 187 (85)-M.jpg
    This pic shows the same baselayer covered by my rain jacket when it's a little cold with some wet brush/drizzle.

TRIP 171 305-XL.jpg
    This pic shows my patagonia capilene tops when it's cold.

Trip 71 076-L.jpg
    And this pic shows my fleece jacket on a cold 5F morning.

Images

In fact, I've never seen a backpacker in the Southeast using snowshoes.

the only time i have seen someone using snowshoes in the southeast is along clingmans dome road when it is closed down for the year and it snows up there....

also have seen people cross country ski along that road...

but, not once out on the trails....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    the only time i have seen someone using snowshoes in the southeast is along clingmans dome road when it is closed down for the year and it snows up there....

also have seen people cross country ski along that road...

but, not once out on the trails....
    Heck, most Southeast winter backpackers don't carry microspikes either. And for most of my backpacking career I didn't carry spikes. How did we manage thru the 1970s and '80s when winters were worse? We postholed like mad men and slipped continuously on ice and wet snow and fell often. It's amazing what you can do in tough conditions with just a good pair of lug boots.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++