WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hammock Tarps on an AT Thru Hike

Just wondering if a lot of Tarp variations are used on an AT Thru Hike. I know Porch mode is common on any hike. But is the added weight of cordage worth it to do a Trekking Pole Mod? What about side pullout(s)? Or is time in camp on a thru so limited that the Tarp just gets set up basically the same configuration night after night?

Thanks for any, help. I have Pole mod zing-it and Prussik Loops ready to put on the Tarp but I am second guessing it for an AT Thru starting mid March.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I might like a guyline for the side pullout by my head for real windy conditions, and you could do single sided porch mode.

I recently saw a picture of a guy using a trekking pole on a HG cuben hex tarp and thought it was cool and wondered why I never thought about it.

I put my hammock in porch mode almost every night. It helps a lot when you’re setting up and moving around cooking and all that.

Sometimes I’d then take it down due to weather, but even then most nights I’d leave one pole up by the foot end. Made those middle of the night pee trips easier.

I’m tempted to say it may not be worth the effort but I never tried it and may be a set in my ways curmudgeon.

My experience in camp was that I usually sat around my buddies cooking and eating and such. After that I went to the hammock and laid down, so there wasn’t much in and out or around and about the hammock so I don’t know if a like mod would have given me anything.

If you do go with the pole mod I look forward to seeing pictures and reading about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thru'd last year with a hammock/tarp. The OES Maccat Deluxe with one set of 2QZQ'S door mods attached, to be exact. I found the doors made a world of difference, even just having them on one side. I probably set up in porch mode half the nights, and like the post above, took it down before going to bed some nights. I didn't have any side pullouts, and maybe only regretted that one night, when I set up in a poor location and the wind was ripping. Towards the end of the hike, I kinda stopped hanging the hammock and just slept on the ground with my pad, as the tarp was a palace when used as a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    .... But is the added weight of cordage worth it to do a Trekking Pole Mod? What about side pullout(s)? ....
    Sure, and extra 4' of Zing-it on 2 of your 4 tie-outs plus 10' of Zing-it for your side pull outs would be a reasonable extravagance. If that weight is too much, consider some of the lines from Z-packs. I like the 1.5mm Z-Line.

Good Luck

If you use a lightweight line like Zing-it, the Zpacks stuff, microcord, the extra line probably won't even weigh an ounce. Plus, it may come in handy elsewhere from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Martzy13 View Post
    Towards the end of the hike, I kinda stopped hanging the hammock and just slept on the ground with my pad, as the tarp was a palace when used as a tent.
    I am using an HG Palace Tarp with doors, so I understand it as a tent. However, what Pad are you referring to and did you use it instead of an underquilt or in place of it? I am question whether to carry one from the start or ship to Fontana and send home after the Smokies as Shrewd has suggested. He has had great advice for me as well.

Thanks for for all the response and help
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    I am using an HG Palace Tarp with doors, so I understand it as a tent. However, what Pad are you referring to and did you use it instead of an underquilt or in place of it? I am question whether to carry one from the start or ship to Fontana and send home after the Smokies as Shrewd has suggested. He has had great advice for me as well.

Thanks for for all the response and help
    If you’re worried about it you could always just start with the pad and see how the pad/UQ works out for you.

If you decide you like the UQ you can always ship the pad ahead to Fontana from a place like Hiawassee or Franklin.

Shipping stuff really isn’t a hassle at all, I found the post offices I stopped in were super helpful. They’re also used to hikers. It would take less than 10 minutes of your time and save you a pound.

Bonus factoid - Hiawassee has a great grocery store but the worst budget inn I’ve ever seen (I was happy to have a room, however) and Franklin rocks. There’s a great brewery, good food options, a free shuttle from the trail, an outfitter that has a bar inside it, and it’s generally a really cool hiker town

Funny you mention Franklin, I started the Trail without a sleeping pad, just an UQ. I wanted versatility in my sleeping options so I picked up a Klymit Static V Insulated Pad at the one-of-a-kind outfitter there in Franklin (Outdoor76?). In all honesty, I still didn't trust my hammock not to snap on me in the middle of the night and I wanted some reassurance of a good night sleep. Ditched the UQ in Virginia somewhere when it got warm and found I stayed about as warm with the pad inside my hammock, deflated a bit.

Oh yeah a partially inflated pad will keep you warm just fine. I hiked with a guy for awhile who only used a pad in his warbonnet the whole way and loved it.

I’ve only tried a pad once and couldn’t keep it under me - I move around a lot. I wanted to try an UQ and found it to be super comfy so just stuck with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Pads work but UQs are far more comfortable
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

I'm not a big fan of mats.. but after seeing a youtube vid..
    Just got Z Lite SOL, cut it up and place it inside the hammock the wrong way as it will

after pressing the wrong button.. I'll carry on....lol
    It should curve around you..
    Because you'll have 4 sections , one could be used for a seat pad..
    I'll be cutting it up on my next camping trip in a week or two too see how well it works.... it only cost £20..

++ New Posts ++