WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

On Friday, August 25, I went up to complete my section hike with a hike from Mahoosuc Notch to Success Trail southbound. This hike was tabled from my section hike in June (from South Arm Road near Andover, ME to US 2 near Gorham, NH), where the rains and my case of pneumonia aborted my hike. So on this date in the Mahoosuc Range in ME-NH my group met: Northbounders: Mr & Mrs Parkay, Lush, Shumo, Shenanigans, Montreal & redb with his daschund LP. Amazingly, I also ran into Free & Wedgy resting on Fulling Mill Mountain. This couple I first ran into back in early July at the Wildcat Rocks in NY where Free took a photo of me and partook in the beverage I offered as part of my weekly Trail Angel activity. She remembered me! Southbounders I met were: ToothFairy whom I enjoyed walking with between East & West Goose Eye as well as Seagrass.
    Aaron

Images

Skywalker, Righty and Jericho crossed into New Hampshire on 8-29.

Good to hear Shumo and Montreal are still making their way north. While on R&R from Iraq my son and I took a day off from trail maintenance, and were in Plymouth for lunch. We saw them hitching out of town so we shuttled them to the Rt. 25C trail head(next road crossing after the Ore Hill shelter.) I think she had to go to the Plymouth Hospital. Very nice folks enjoying the trail and America.

Default sup red b?

sup lp? yo were still bros.xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxlp!matthewski.
    matthewski

Yeah! Energizer Bunny made it - cool
    ad astra per aspera

Just entering Hanover today:
    Garden Gnome, Danger, Pixie, Two-Step, Iroc, Tomato Gravy, Snake-Eyes and myself, Wooly Bear.

Default Powerstroke

Powerstroke was halfway up Katahdin on August 27th when he fell from an iron rung and broke his wrist.

Out doing trail magic in Grafton Notch yesterday and had a great time seeing the following hikers who are all doing well. Slick B, Mule, Bruiser, Baltimore(Bill), Otter Cohiba, She-Bear, F-Bomb, 42, Pinata, Ranger Dawg, and Model T.

SourBall (A.T.'94) was also there to greet Model T who he had hiked with in 1994 and stayed to hike with him for the day. SourBall recognized me from meeting me on the trail, probably pre 1990, and I remembered commenting on his name when we first met. I had hiked with Model T in 1998 and planned my trip to meet him as he got to the notch. Everyone had a great time swapping trail stories plus the Grafton Notch Park Rangers talked to us about thru-hiking and were great hosts.

"Maine, the way life should be" lived up to its motto!

Default NOBO location as of Sept. 1, 2006

As of Sept. 2, 2006, Bama, Brainfreeze, Fiddlehead, G-Walk, Rusch Hour, Baldylocks, Moe & Ponch, Professor & Jesse James, Birkenstock, Cool Hand, Identity Crisis, Treehouse, Adirondack 46er & Storyteller, Rising Sun, G-Man and BP were at The Cabin in Est Andover, ME.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater
    Powerstroke was halfway up Katahdin on August 27th when he fell from an iron rung and broke his wrist.
    He was just ahead of me when it happened at the first set of rungs, nasty sight. He was treated on site by a cute Canadian medical student, taken back off the mountain by someone who had twisted their wrist in the same spot and could not continue, and both were treated at the local hospital. His wrist was bent into an "S" shape, definitely broken in at least 2 places. I felt really bad for him knowing how far he'd come.

Big Toe is headed back south (flip-flopper), but without Trapper, who developed more back problems on the 100 Mile Wilderness and went home. I got Big Toe resupplied and rested, he was headed south from Monson last Wednesday, 8/30.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Out doing trail magic in Grafton Notch yesterday and had a great time seeing the following hikers who are all doing well. Slick B, Mule, Bruiser, Baltimore(Bill), Otter Cohiba, She-Bear, F-Bomb, 42, Pinata, Ranger Dawg, and Model T.

SourBall (A.T.'94) was also there to greet Model T who he had hiked with in 1994 and stayed to hike with him for the day. SourBall recognized me from meeting me on the trail, probably pre 1990, and I remembered commenting on his name when we first met. I had hiked with Model T in 1998 and planned my trip to meet him as he got to the notch. Everyone had a great time swapping trail stories plus the Grafton Notch Park Rangers talked to us about thru-hiking and were great hosts.

"Maine, the way life should be" lived up to its motto!
    WOOHOOOO thanx for the posts you guys!!! Always love this thread!!!!!!

Default sightings and ufos

lunchboxdoodlefingers and scarecrowaposhtaphy along with that fab 4,..cucumberlettucelips and ouchmyfoothurtsmike, joeythepig and nympho were all seen nowhere cause they dont exist. but if they did they'd have cool names.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone
    lunchboxdoodlefingers and scarecrowaposhtaphy along with that fab 4,..cucumberlettucelips and ouchmyfoothurtsmike, joeythepig and nympho were all seen nowhere cause they dont exist. but if they did they'd have cool names.
    You will find this cartoon run over by a car
    at a trail crossing before he gets to Maine.When I first saw him in Helen,I
    was surprised he made it out of Ga.

Half a dozen arrived in Hanover this morning, but it's definitely slowing down big-time.

If folks aren't here by the tenth, they'll have to make good time to hit Baxter by the fifteenth, as most folks take from 34-39 days from here to finish their hikes. Of course, there'll be some stragglers and folks who are planning to summit later than the 15th, but hiker season here is pretty much winding down.

Anyone out looking for big crowds of hikers would do well to check out Gorham or Andover, both of which are probably swamped. There's also a quite large group planning to summit on the 23rd, which would put them somewhere near Andover right about now.

Am bittersweet about the end of the season in Hanover as there have been some great folks passing thru this year or staying out at the house but the good news is once the season ends here, I can get the hell outta town and go hike for a bit. Time to test the knee and lose the gut.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Time to test the knee and lose the gut.

Gettin' tired of kids asking if you used to be Baltimore Jack?

Mystic, Marley, Gator Goat, Chill and Tex summited Katahdin on Saturday, September 2nd.

Images

I see where Upload and Stitches's summited on Sept 1st
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Has anyone seen Mac? I saw him at the Gren Anderson shelter in NJ about August 27th. A bit slow for a NOBO but in good spirits. He's from Ohio about 50+ years. I hope he makes Katahdin by Oct. 15th.

A dozen at the house last night, mostly NOBO's, but also three wonderful sectioners from Israel. The NOBO's seem to think there are very few hikers behind them who plan to get to Katahdin by 15 October, and if these folks don't arrive in Hanover by the 12th, I'm inclined to agree. Time's getting kinda short.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++