WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

justusryans taking a quick overnight in Hiwassee. Hands are still cold,can't type. Good luck to all thruhikers!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Sitting in the kitchen of Miss J's. and enjoying a quiet house because almost everybody left today. Met: Mrs. Gorp, Spiritual Pillgrim, Garry and his dog Pepper, Coconut Monkey, Guns of Jesus, Braveheart & Messenger, Jolly Green Giant, Bone Pac (didn't stay at M.J. but met him on the trail one day before I arrived), two guys called The Dingleberrys, Noose & the Poolerbears and Dave. It's my second zero and probably not the last because my knees are looking like swollen sausages. But what a better place to ride it out than this center of the trail universe?
    To clear something up: Bruno, Nuts and Gargamel are the same person. So there is no German invasion on the trail. Call the Marines back, it's just me.
    There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path [Morpheus - The Matrix]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Trailjournals

Arrived in Damascus yesterday, leaving tomorrow. Staying at Lazy Fox. Breakfast is justly famous. I think Papabear is off trail with pnumonia, or it could be Bear that's sick. Regardless, he will try to return later. Trek left here this morning. Mawee and Pawee are about 3 or 4 days ahead. Red Dane is about two week ahead. Batman and Robinsnest are a couple of days behind. 2 to 3 inches of snow fell in the high country two days ago. More flurrys expected next 3 days. Mighty lonely up here. No trouble getting shelter space or in-town lodging.
    Red Ranger
    GAME 06

Talking Currently rocking out at Miss Janet's

Life is good here at Miss Janet's. Lovin' the Erwin Burrito I had on my way here. Had some snow this morning, and two days ago, but no biggie. I'm warm now... Although I kinda stink... Perhaps I should take a shower and stop screwing around on Whiteblaze!

-"Yahtzee"

Images

Default Anyone seen "Underground" lately?

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone has seen a thru-hiker named Underground lately?

We met him at Plum Orchard shelter 3/4/06.

Thanks in advance.

Oops! Here's a photo.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...atid=favorites
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Underground looks like the underground I saw in 2004 and 2005. Furthest north I saw him was Chestnut Knob. Very hard to keep track of because... he's Underground.
    Rambler

The first wave of NOBOs are hitting Damascus. There's quite a few here.

Am here at Miss Janets taking another day or two off. Yesterday Underground was at Standing Bear. Minnessota Smith had just left there recently. Got to get back watching James Bond.

Default Franklin Report

I dunno where most NOBO's are right now, but there are at least thirty-five hikers in Franklin right now, the town is pretty well infested. Great day today, Ron and his staff slacked about 23 folks 10 miles North today so we could spend a second night in town and alsdo celebrate a hiker birthday in style; absolutely beautiful up on Siler Bald this afternnon, as nice as I've ever seen it.....there should be a TON of folks arriving at the NOC mid-afternoon Friday; some are planning to come back here for Ron Haven's hiker weekend party which looks to be a really fine time, hope to see some of you here in Franklin Friday nite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate
    Am here at Miss Janets taking another day or two off. Yesterday Underground was at Standing Bear. Minnessota Smith had just left there recently. Got to get back watching James Bond.
    Cool. Appreciate the update.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Damascus. Saw Guns of Jesus, The traveling dingleberries, elizabeth & lewis, here. Moleman, Mark, sunset, trev and pebbles all left a day or 2 ago.
    will stop at Daves Place this morning before leaving to see who else is in town.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Arrived Pearisburg today Leaving Sunday. Mawee and Pawee got here yesterday. They missed out at the Relax Inn in Rural Retreat. Arrived on Saturday night with out a reservation not realizing it was race weekend in Bristol. No room at the Inn. I was reminded in Damascus of the race and arrived Sunday afternoon. Watched race on TV in my room. (Note to self: check NASCAR schedule for rest of year, particularly Dover and NH.) Mr. President was at Rural Retreat last Sunday also, don't know when he left. Trek is probably three days ahead now. Red Dane is still about two weeks ahead according to register entries but had to have some dental work done here in Pearisburg. Talking to a section hiker last night at Docs Knob Shelter who got snowed in at Hogback Shelter with a bunch of thru-hikers last weekend. I went over Mt Rogers last Friday, the first day of the storm. Windy, cold but only a couple of inches of snow. Friday night and Saturday, leaving Old Orchard for Partnership a couple more inches. Windy and cold again. First frozen water bottles in several weeks. Much better Sunday. Guess it was a lot worse in NC. Otherwise pretty quiet up here.
    Red Ranger
    GAME 06

Default Underground...

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler
    Underground looks like the underground I saw in 2004 and 2005. Furthest north I saw him was Chestnut Knob. Very hard to keep track of because... he's Underground.
    Rambler
    He was at Standing Bear Farm when I left there about 5 days ago. His plan was to zero there for at least 2 more days before leaving.

I've made it to Hot Springs, FYI.

holiday inn, hiawassee, everything else was sold out when we got to town and I was in dire need of laundry and a shower... plus it was supposed to storm tonight, it isn't bad here but I'm not sure about up in the mountains..

Quote Originally Posted by cls
    Arrived Pearisburg today Leaving Sunday. Mawee and Pawee got here yesterday. They missed out at the Relax Inn in Rural Retreat. Arrived on Saturday night with out a reservation not realizing it was race weekend in Bristol. No room at the Inn. I was reminded in Damascus of the race and arrived Sunday afternoon. Watched race on TV in my room. (Note to self: check NASCAR schedule for rest of year, particularly Dover and NH.) Mr. President was at Rural Retreat last Sunday also, don't know when he left. Trek is probably three days ahead now. Red Dane is still about two weeks ahead according to register entries but had to have some dental work done here in Pearisburg. Talking to a section hiker last night at Docs Knob Shelter who got snowed in at Hogback Shelter with a bunch of thru-hikers last weekend. I went over Mt Rogers last Friday, the first day of the storm. Windy, cold but only a couple of inches of snow. Friday night and Saturday, leaving Old Orchard for Partnership a couple more inches. Windy and cold again. First frozen water bottles in several weeks. Much better Sunday. Guess it was a lot worse in NC. Otherwise pretty quiet up here.
    Lots are right here in Franklin for the Fool Bash

Images

I am sitting in Frankilin for the Fool Bash, I got into town Yesterday noonish. great internet cafe HOBNOBER's in town.
    :datz May the four winds blow me safely to Maine.

www.trailjournals.com/cheesewhiz

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Model T is off!

talked to "Model T" this morning..via email...he is off to GEORGIA & Springer mtn for his 4th Thru-hike...this one for a cause.

He is calling it his: "Hike for Hope"...raising money to build a homeless shelter in Clarksville,TN (his hometown).

i urge all of you to support the cause & ship a few bucks if you can...

go to Model T's website for details: www.ModelT.net

section-hikin' w/ "Jigsaw" Apr 22-May 3 Pearisburg to Glasgow,VA
    say "HELLO" as you pass me by
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default hello from Franklin, NC!

I am now in Franklin, NC. I have hiked 106 miles from Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap. Weather by an large is good. Had snow and cold in Georgia and lot of rain last night when I was snug in a shelter.

Still working on a trail name.

Cheers,

David

BW2006 and Harley Hog Pit here at the Budget Inn in Franklin. We're loving the mountains and enjoying our hike. Had a big bear scare a few nights ago about two miles north of Plumborchard shelter but managed to scare the bugger off. He spent 1/2 an hour trying to get our bear bags but we hung em well and he missed out on our food. Weather was very cold to start but is warming up nicely for this week. Next week we should be in the Smokies, can't wait.

New trail name for me BW2006 is Spaghetti Oh! (spilled spaghetti in my tent on a very rainy night, hence the name)

Mrs. Gorp is in Damascus. She bought me and Pirate a beer at Dot's yesterday.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++