WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Kennebec River Ferry Service...Day 53 of 144

Northbounders continue to get closer to Katahdin daily as 7 thru-hikers crossed the Kennebec River this morning. W. A. Cooke, Graham McDaniel and Jon Drumm (start date 2-16) all from Signal Mtn, TN; Leiv "Waldo" (3-22) from Norway; Tim "Solo" Wilson (Feb) from Searsport, ME; Craig "Lockjaw" Stanley (3-4) from Columbia, SC; Last but not least is former 1998 thru-hiker and Yo Yo super hiker, the one and only "The Can-do man" (3-4) who arrived to the Kennebec River with a new set of titanium hips. I remember Jeff Murkett's crossing on the Kennebec River back in '98' when he was headed south on the flip side of a yo yo. Jeff was the second hiker to reach Katahdin that year, however, he was one of the strongest hikers with a 75 lb pack hiking from GA to ME and then ME to GA in one year! Glad to see Jeff back out on the trail once again! About 20 northbounders have reached the 2020 mile mark at the Kennebec River so far this year. Along with the current 9-11am shift, we will be starting the second shift of 2-4pm this coming Sat July 15 until the end of September.

For those interested, Do-Rag, Taco and Pa Bert completed their thru-hikes on July 1, by climbing Katahdin together. We were #5, 6 and 7 for the season.
    Pa Bert

Images

My husband saw four hikers coming out of High Point in NJ yesterday, hitching a ride to town. He didn't have room for them all so didn't stop. Any idea who it might have been? He was pretty sure they were thru hikers, based on their condition.

Probably the bulk scattered between NY and Gorham(NH/MA).

Smile 3 Summit on July 14

Ron, Chestnut (accompanied by his Dad, Mark) and myself all reached the Holy Grail by noon on Friday, July 14th. The three of us "cruised" thru the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days, leaving Monson on July 10th. Chestnut and Ron reached the Birches by Thursday night. I did almost 30 miles from Potaywadjo lean-to to Hurd Brook lean-to on Thursday and started out Friday morning at 4:30 a.m. on the final leg. We were numbers 15 thru 17 according to the register at the Katahdin Spring CG Ranger station . Kip arrived at the CG late Friday afternoon and Red Ranger should be right behind him. I left Red Ranger at Cloud Pond lean-to on Tuesday morning. The Big K was all that and more. Congrats to Mark for hikin' up and down Hunt trail like a pro!

Was so glad I didn't have to hike this morning when I woke up at the AT Lodge in Millinocket. But now I wonder, what does life off the trail have in store for me ?

NOBO's keep on truckin'! SOBO's, best of luck to you all. If I did it, you can too.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

I was camped at Big Meadows in Shenandoah Jul 12-14. Met Rickles McPickles and two women from England (Clair and Cin??). They were doing a bit of slack packing. The ladies are planning on yellow blazing PA. But Rick is gonna plow through those rocks. Rick told me about WhiteBlaze, which is why I'm here checking it out!

There were a fair number of late NOBOs at Big Meadows. Also met a SOBO from Detroit on Jul 12. Missed his name. He was only 11 days on the trail, having started with a 68 pound (!) pack. He was down to about 40 when he waved good-bye and headed out in good spirits.

Images

Default Pawling NY area

I was doing magic on July12-13 between RPH and Pawling and saw a number of NOBO hikers:

Compost, the Chocolate Bandito, Rematch, Low Gear, Kurly, Swansons, Montreal, Moe, Ponch, Snickers, Energizer Bunny

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Here is a list of hikers we met last week between Rangeley and Gorham. There is a mix of northbounders and southbounders and by now they are all probably about 100 miles further than where we met them in both directions:

Mole Man
    Pebbles
    Jolly Green Giant
    Salsa
    Fat Camp
    Huff n Puff
    Rocky
    Bullwinkle
    Slow Leak
    Truth & Mercy (the newlyweds)
    Pond Water
    Snickers
    Just Joe
    Soft Lipped Swam Donkey
    Cletus
    Sheep Frog
    Blue Bird
    Abandon
    Ten Speed
    Can Do Man
    Caveman
    Boots
    Kansas
    Chestnut
    Fruity Pie
    Wolf Clan
    Mountain Squid
    Last edited by Footslogger; 07-16-2006 at 18:09.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Default Baro and Jangles likely in Connecticut

Baro and Jangles crossed the Hudson River as of July 14. If Donkey Love, Hot Springs and Mouse survived NYC, the Tribe's likely into Connecticut by now.

http://www.challengepoint.com/

Larry's journal was updated at the time of my post, Jane's was not.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-16-2006 at 13:46.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

Yesterday evening I made my irregular visit and second in a series of seven trail angel hikes to Wildcat Shelter. The shelter at 7 PM north of NY 17A was solely occupied by Iron Wolf. He seemed to be hurting and certainly appreciated the cold beer that I offered him. He said his knee is hurting and I believe he will have a tough time later on climbing and descending the serious mountains ahead in Vermont and northward.

He also told the story at the beginning of the trip where a fellow hiker (Phoenix) way back in Georgia he declared dead when he could not revive him at Collins Shelter. That must have been a tough discouraging blow and a bad start to his journey. Iron Wolf also showed us his hernia and other wounds he has dealt with on the trail. I wish him luck, and yesterday he did hike a considerable distance from Vernon, NJ in the intense heat, 90 degrees. But he is a determined old fellow giving it a go.

Tentatively, my next scheduled evening trail angel mini-hike is scheduled for Friday, July 21.
    Aaron

:banana Great Job

Quote Originally Posted by welsa
    For those interested, Do-Rag, Taco and Pa Bert completed their thru-hikes on July 1, by climbing Katahdin together. We were #5, 6 and 7 for the season.
    Pa Bert
    Pa Bert,
    Remember blowing me off the trail just before getting to Hot Springs? Hope I'm in the shape your in when I get to your age! What a story your grandchild can tell about his Grandpa Robert.
    I hate Nike but Just Do It anyway!

Images

Default Wildcat Shelter hopping tonight!

Tonight Wildcat Shelter was hopping when I made my evening trail angel visit. Here tonight, Friday evening, July 21 from 6-7 PM were:

linc & Jeanne, willow & switch, Jersey, route step, Johnny K, rapunzo & Lone Wolf, then as I was leaving the woods heading back to NY 17A, coming north were Old School & Young Blood. There were also a couple of section hikers to add to the entourage.

Meanwhile Alex & I gave out beer, soda and snacks to a few of the lucky recipients and Sam "the Pug" provided the entertainment. So the shelter and tent sites were all filled and everyone was now going to figure out a way to avoid the mosquitoes.
    Aaron

Images

Saw Crazy Nuts and Power Stroke, both on the summit of Moosilauke (spelling?) yesterday. Crazy started at Springer May 9th, hence his name. Power Stroke was trying to do the Key West to Canada thing, but has been sick so he's not sure if he'll make it.

Images

2 more nobo's came into my shop in NYC today. Came off the trail from rt 23, High Pt. I've been terrible with getting names this yr, but they were a very young couple from the south. Girl had red hair and the guy was on his 2nd thru. One of them may have been called Squirrel...
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Saw lots and lots of NOBOs on my short Rt. 2 to Chesire overnight hike. Tented at Mark Noepel and met Shasta, H-Bomb, Snickers, Jesse James and Professor. Met Mulligan in Chesire today. Other names I remember include Johny Appleseed, WildBill, Gary. Passed probably 10 others who didn't stop to chat.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I was out today in NY, about 10ish miles from NJ (near Greenwood Lake), and saw a nice lady called PA Bluebird. She stopped to chat with me and Askus3, and seemed to be doing well. She was excited about seeing a nearby waterfall tomorrow.

Images

Victoria beat me to this post. The two of us along with Magnus (correction) "the Pug" were out for some trail angel activity at Wildcat Shelter (first shelter northbound in NY), and nobody was there for our surprise generosity. So we left a frozen gallon of water and some other goodies and fed the mosquitoes with some of our blood and rested. On our return to 17A we came upon PA Bluebird, the lone thru-hiker we met on our hike. What was interesting to note is that PA Bluebird said yesterday she met her first southbound thru-hikers, so they are already invading New Jersey. The falls PA Bluebird mentioned was Fitzgerald Falls which is a pleasant ice cold shower to be enjoyed on these hot muggy days.
    Last edited by Askus3; 07-27-2006 at 17:32.
    Aaron

Images

One correction: The pug is actually Magnus (named after Magnus Samuelson, former world's strongest man). He's a pug embassador for hiking dogs.

We saw Baro and Donkey Love at Upper Goose Pond on 7/23 (just
    south of the Massachusetts Turnpike). Baro was aiming to make
    Dalton, Mass. that night, and Donkey was planning to go into
    Lee. Charonnay and Cabernet, and Jangles, were already further
    north, from what they said.

Also, saw SOBOs Webster, Mono, and Agate.

Images

Checked trailjournals.com today and discovered that "Skywalker" entered New Jersey a couple of days ago.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++