WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is this gonna cause a problem

Here's the situation....
    A good chance I talked the wife into starting the AT with me. However, I quite sure she will be along for a couple weeks then I'll be solo for the duration.

Now here's the potential issue that maybe a few folks with some time on the AT can weigh in on.

We are bringing a double sized pad which seems to work for us much better than trying to connect two pads. After she decides she wants to escape back to civilization I will be out there with a double sized pad...
    I don't mind lugging it I actually appreciate the extra real estate. Now if I want to intermittently stay in a shelter are people gonna get irritated that I am taking up too much space as a solo hiker with a double sized pad or is there usually enough personal space in the shelter to comfortably allow for the double pad without causing a riot in the shelter.

Images

Yes, people will get irritated.

If your starting a thru at the same time most are (March), shelter space will be non existent all the way up thru Damascus, and so on. Now you may get a few nights where the shelter isn't over flowing, but the shelters will be very busy. I wouldn't say people will be irritated but I would say it would be more courteous to use a single person matt once she goes home. You could have someone mail you a single person matt a few days before she leaves, and let her take the double home with her.

Looks like the width of these double pads are ranging from 48" - 56" which is in my opinion would be taking up too much space in a shelter when others could possible use that real estate.

-All the extra energy having to blow that dude up every night
    -Cramped space in shelters
    -Weight

Just some points of interest when thinking of the not needed double pad.
    FWIW I carry a wide long pad and feel that I have more then enough room with it.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Couldn't you fold it over to make it into a single (ish) pad?

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    Couldn't you fold it over to make it into a single (ish) pad?
    Doesn't seem like a practical idea to me. You can't fold an inflatable pad any better than you can fold an inflatable beach ball.

If you start in the bubble, that pad won't go over too well unless you can fold it. That is assuming you get a spot in the shelter.

I would say just plan on tenting if you want to carry the double pad. Although getting a regular pad would be better overall as Gambit said.

Yes you can underinflate a double and then fold it in half. I’d guess a crease would form and potentially deteriorate the integrity of the mat eventually. Why not plan to send it home with the wife and maildrop yourself a better suited bachelor pad?!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I see a bigger problem than a sleeping pad here! But if that's the extent of it, just have a single pad ready to be sent to you at her dropout point.

If you know she's gonna bail I'd start out with two single pads and just get a warm good night's sleep---for both of you. No solo backpacker wants to carry a double pad.

Oh and I hike my own hike and avoid shelters at all costs, therefore the whole discussion of a double pad on a shelter floor is irrelevant.

Or...
    She takes the double pad home with her and you pick up a single pad that you cleverly mailed to yourself at the post office or a convenient hostel.
    It’s not brain surgery.
    Wayne

Buy another pad, bud, buy another pad.

Lots of times the shelters have plenty of space. But most times the weather is crappy they’ll fill up. Certain areas also fill up just because.

If people roll up and see you taking up twice the space some will be downright angry with you. I’d be.

Think of it this way - you’re about to go on a 6 month long journey where you’ll spend several thousand dollars.

Buy another pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one night in a shelter and you will probably need a single pad very shortly. Two singles is a better bet.

Well it looks like you guys are giving me the answer I somewhat expected... I do have an Exped Duo with two independent sides so I suppose I could simply only inflate one side in tight quarters or simply open the wallet and buy a couple decent single mats and send the wife home with one.

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    . . . or simply open the wallet and buy a couple decent single mats and send the wife home with one.
    Or just buy one single mat and pick it up when your wife leaves the trail, sending her home with the double. Or, suffer with the double for a few days until your wife can buy and send you a single mat for the rest of the trip.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If you start in March using a double pad and it rains someone else is going to put their pad on top of half of yours. Good luck being that close to your new friend I’m not sure why you’d want to carry a double sized pad for5 1/2 months.

Sure it will be a problem----come on man!!
    Ask yourself---if you hiked all day in a cold rain only to get to shelter and be told it was full and you see some dude taking up twice the amount of space as everyone else---how would you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Sure it will be a problem----come on man!!
    Ask yourself---if you hiked all day in a cold rain only to get to shelter and be told it was full and you see some dude taking up twice the amount of space as everyone else---how would you feel?
    I hear you buddy..... just didn't realize that the quarters would be that close even when full. You guys probably saved me from a Mexican knife fight at the shelter.

I hear you buddy..... just didn't realize that the quarters would be that close even when full. You guys probably saved me from a Mexican knife fight at the shelter.
    You are going to be should to shoulder in the shelters when you start.... My piece of advice? Find a tent you really really like
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You, clearly, are a fast learner! Cheers!

I’ve seen some pretty packed shelters.

I noticed they were usually full in the beginning, then most ppl stick to their tents, and then near the end a lot of people I chatted with kinda stopped caring and would use the shelter again cause it’s easier.

I hung my hammock every night and confess I was somewhat envious of their ease of pack up in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++