Default Hiking skirt and legs

I'm setting my sights on a nobo thruhike beginning March 2019 (So *really* planning ahead ...). I like the idea of wearing a hiking skirt and have gained some great tips from this wonderful site. But what have other women worn on their legs for the cold-weather stretches on the AT? I was thinking about some of my running gear -- the regular lycra-blend stuff. But will that be warm enough? Just looking for best ideas.

I wear either Icebreaker leggings or fleece lined leggings. All depends on the temperatures! When it is really windy, my Frogg Toggs go on to block the wind.

Hi, I'm wondering if you are wearing a hiking skirt or a rain skirt. I also plan to hike the AT in 2019 and I'm not sure about carrying both. I think I will make a rain skirt myself and see how light weight I can go and use leggings and gaiters with it. I don't think I want rain pants...but who knows. I guess I need to get out in a driving cold rain and try both and see what works. Looking to hear what others respond about best type of leggings also.

Hi, Doe
    My first trek with a *real* hiking skirt (as opposed to a skort, etc) was a five-dayer in Greece a few years ago. It was autumn, but still rather warm so I didn't need any leg coverings. I, too, am very interested in hearing the recommendations for leggings or other under-skirt solutions for a chilling March Nobo departure. The hiking skirt I used in Greece is from Melanzana. It won't keep you dry in a downpour, but sufficiently water repellent for light showers and so forth. The fabric is very durable and has a nice stretchy quality for climbing. Main downside for me was length. When sitting down, it can be a bit immodest without compression shorts or something underneath. And who wants to keep their legs crossed at night in camp? I included a link below.

http://melanzana.com/catalog/product...products_id/35

Images

On my 2017 thru hike attempt ( had to leave the trail for death in family) I wore a hiking skirt with short style merino wool underwear (I'm XL so wanted legs protection from thighs rubbing) and I loved my Anti Gravity rain wrap skirt. Light weight, packs very small so easy to grab and put on quickly. At 5'5" the rain skirt came about mid calf. I had a pair of pants as alternate to skirt in cold weather. I didn't start till last week in March so didn't hit any extremely cold weather. I also use knee sleeves (support) which helped protect knees on rocks and keeping warm wearing a skirt.

++ New Posts ++