WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What container do you use to re-hydrate your food?

Okay, I know this may be elementary here. Take it easy on the noob.

I have a 750 ml titanium pot that I boil water in. And I have Korrs sides in a bag. What do you mix the two in?

Do you pour the Korrs into the pot? If so, how do you clean the pot for future use? I've seen one guy use a plastic spatula type of thing to get every last drop of food out of the pot, and then boil water in it to clean it.

I've heard people use freezer bags as well. Do you just throw those away after, or re-use?

Or is there some other type of device I am not aware of? I don't plan to spend the money on pre-made backing meals, which I know would solve the problem b/c their bag is big enough to rehydrate the food.

Freezer bag. You can toss them, recycle if your recycler permits, or you can clean them and re-use. I like keeping my pot clean.

I use bread and storage bags. They are thin but withstand the below boiling water that you will pour into them. Just make sure you protect them from sharp corners on packaged food. I keep them in a freezer zip-lock bag. I think the current ones I am using are Kroger brand.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I also like to only boil water in my Ti pot. I've tried "freezer-bag cooking" for rehydrating preparing various foods, but I don't really care for it -- it's just too awkward for me, and I've had leaks.

What I have been doing recently is starting out with a MH meal or two, then (after cleaning with just a little boiling water) using that package a few more times for either my own dehydrated meals, other freeze-dried meals repackaged from bulk, etc. The MH package is stout and sturdy and easy enough to clean enough to use several times.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I used to cook up Lipton Pasta-Sides (pasta-cides?? death by pasta??) all the time. Place pasta contents in cook pot. Add cold water. Bring to boil and stir all the time. Turn off stove. Stir one last time. Cover with pot lid and put in pot cozy for 30 minutes.

This is for evening dinner. Afterwhich I fill the dirty pot with water and leave in my tent vestibule to boil up for morning herbal tea. No point in cleaning the pot every night.

I boil the water in my TI Jet Boil ... add whatever I'm cooking ... then similar to Tipi I may turn it off, then back on to heat one more time after a few min, then cover and let set 10 or 15 min ... and it is ready to eat out of the pot. THEN when I get everything I can with my utensil, I have a scraper to get most of the rest ... when I get everything I can I put a bit of water in it to rinse, and wipe and dry it with a cloth I carry. Remember, next time it will be used I start by heating water to boiling sterilizing it.... Personally I don't like having to have the dirty plastic bags ... plus I don't like to have hot food in plastic anyway. Obviously this works for me, but, you need to experiment and see what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle-2013 View Post
    I boil the water in my TI Jet Boil ... add whatever I'm cooking ... then similar to Tipi I may turn it off, then back on to heat one more time after a few min, then cover and let set 10 or 15 min ... and it is ready to eat out of the pot. THEN when I get everything I can with my utensil, I have a scraper to get most of the rest ... when I get everything I can I put a bit of water in it to rinse, and wipe and dry it with a cloth I carry. Remember, next time it will be used I start by heating water to boiling sterilizing it.... Personally I don't like having to have the dirty plastic bags ... plus I don't like to have hot food in plastic anyway. Obviously this works for me, but, you need to experiment and see what works for you.
    Your scaper, where did you source it? I think that is the way I am going to go. I, like you, don't really want to carry dirty ziplocks for multiple reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I used to cook up Lipton Pasta-Sides (pasta-cides?? death by pasta??) all the time. Place pasta contents in cook pot. Add cold water. Bring to boil and stir all the time. Turn off stove. Stir one last time. Cover with pot lid and put in pot cozy for 30 minutes.

This is for evening dinner. Afterwhich I fill the dirty pot with water and leave in my tent vestibule to boil up for morning herbal tea. No point in cleaning the pot every night.
    What about bears? Wouldn't that food reminients lead them right to your tent?

Quote Originally Posted by av8or2k View Post
    What about bears? Wouldn't that food reminients lead them right to your tent?
    I concur with Lone Wolf in this and sleep with all my food in the tent vestibule. Not advisable for most people of course but it's worked for me for the last 40 years. YMMV.

Then again, think about it: We are human cheese sticks putting out a tremendous amount of bear-delectable odors while we sleep in our tents. Oh and we just ate a one pound dinner which is in a bag in our tents---in our stomachs. Don't think a bear can't smell all of us and all of the food inside us???

Your scaper, where did you source it?
    I bought my GSI scraper at Amazon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I concur with Lone Wolf in this and sleep with all my food in the tent vestibule. Not advisable for most people of course but it's worked for me for the last 40 years. YMMV.

Then again, think about it: We are human cheese sticks putting out a tremendous amount of bear-delectable odors while we sleep in our tents. Oh and we just ate a one pound dinner which is in a bag in our tents---in our stomachs. Don't think a bear can't smell all of us and all of the food inside us???
    Not to mention the half pound of gas that is emitted all night long.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Your scaper, where did you source it? I think that is the way I am going to go. I, like you, don't really want to carry dirty ziplocks for multiple reasons.
    No need to carry a specialized tool for this task.

My scraper is my long-handle ti spoon. (Sporks don't work well for this) After I cook and eat my meal out of the pot, I add a little water, scrape down the sides and bottom, and drink it. Add a bit more water, wipe down insides with my fingers, swish and sling into the bush. Wipe out inside with bandana. Repeat for breakfast, then wash well at a good water source.
    L Dog
    Last edited by LDog; 12-20-2017 at 17:09.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I use dutchwaregear,com Bowl Bags. Heavy duty food grade plastic, re-usable multiple times, flat bottom so it sits on the ground or a table top without spilling, inexpensive.

For cleaning I just add a little water and swish it around and drink it, then a little water and biodegradable soap, swish and dump it in a cathole or under a rock.

Images

My wife, Mudpie, makes dehydrated one pot meals for us. Each meal is packaged individually. In the morning she selects one, adds water, and puts it inside an Opsak in one of her pack's side pockets. It re-hydrtates while we hike. We eat our big meal at lunch. Dump the re-hydrated meal in our pot, bring to a boil, stir and put pot in cozy. When we are done eating we give the pot to our dog, who gets out every last speck of food. Then I put water and Dr Bronner's in the pot, boil for a few minutes, dump it, rinse and done.
    Sailor

Images

Ziplock freezer bags. If I've got something like three bean chili I'll add cold water to it at lunch time to be sure the beans are soft by dinner and then just add a little boiling water. Other meals I'm just adding a cup and a half or two of boiling water to the meal in a freezer bag and wait fifteen minutes or so.

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I use dutchwaregear,com Bowl Bags. Heavy duty food grade plastic, re-usable multiple times, flat bottom so it sits on the ground or a table top without spilling, inexpensive.

For cleaning I just add a little water and swish it around and drink it, then a little water and biodegradable soap, swish and dump it in a cathole or under a rock.
    Thx I’ve never seen this.....I’ve tried reusing ziplocks an MH bags but tough to clean due to the corners. I assume clean up simple without corners...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I also use the Dutchware bowl bags. Great item
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

While it's all a matter of personal preference, I use my jetboil pot. As others have recommended I put the dehydrated food and water in cold, bring it to a boil and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, the bring it to a boil again and stir, let it sit a few more minutes and eat. I like eating out of my cookpot better than trying to eat out of a plastic bag and find cleaning my cookpot easy enough to do on trail.

I tried the freezerbag cooking thing, but it just wasn't for me. It required too much otherwise unnecessary repackaging, took too much extra time to cook and never seemed to work well in the winter because it cooled too fast.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

REI has them as well as many other places. I think the one I use is a MSR and has several different "edges", softer and harder depending on whether you need to scrape, or more like a soft rubber scraper. But I have picked up several over the years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++