WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

My cozy is made from Tropical Cammy ripstop cotton, enveloping a layer of Insul-Bright. Works good. Weighs 56g.

DSCF2335-1.jpg

When I pack up my kit; my fuel canister, stove and lighter fit in my pot. Cover goes on, and pulling the drawstring tight holds it all together.

DSCF2332-1.jpg

How I made it with lots of photos here:
    http://www.laughingdog.com/2014/04/b...-cozy-v30.html
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by LDog; 12-29-2017 at 10:35.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I use a 900 cc pot and put my dehydrated or freeze-dried stuff into boiling water in my pot. I may then bring it back to a boil and/or simmer a bit, but then quickly put the pot into a Reflectix cozy so that it stays hot, it rehydrates fully, does not bottom burn, and saves fuel. Easy to eat, easy to clean a pot with no bottom burn with no soap. No freezer bag for me. A 750 pot would not be big enough for the way I like to cook and eat. YMMV
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    Dump the re-hydrated meal in our pot, bring to a boil, stir and put pot in cozy. .
    That's exactly what we'e done for many years. Uses minimal fuel, minimal gear to carry.

I rehydrate meals in a variety of containers, depending on the food and my mood.

I often cook/reydrate in my pot (whatever pot I'm using for the particular trip) as noted above by others, often bringing the meal to a boil and placing in a cozy.
    Another one of my favorite methods, which has not been mentioned in this thread yet, it a ziploc screw-top container or a generic equivalent. They are super light, water tight, and come in about three sizes. I have made cozies to fit whatever size ziploc screw top container I'm carrying, and that frees up my stove and pot to boil more water for drinks or other meals for other people. It's kinda like freezer bag cooking without the bag and, yeah, a bowl to clean up after.

These screw top containers also work well for cold soaking food, storing left-overs, if any, dipping water from shallow sources, dog bowls, etc.

On overnight trips, I will often just mix my dry dinner ingredients directly into the ziploc screw-top container carry it as an almost ready to eat dinner. Then, at dinner, I just add boiling water, stir, cap it, let it sit, then eat. . . super simple.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Another one of my favorite methods, which has not been mentioned in this thread yet, it a ziploc screw-top container or a generic equivalent.
    These screw top containers also work well for cold soaking food, storing left-overs, if any, dipping water from shallow sources, dog bowls, etc.
    Absolutely! I carry two 8oz Nalgene HDPE Wide Mouth Round Containers. One to carry olive oil, the other to rehydrate dehydrated veggies and beans. Real secure, screw-on tops. I usually put what I want for dinner in on one during a mid-day water stop, fill it with water and slip it into my pack. When it's time to cook, I dump the contents into my pot.

They weigh 38g each, so hard-core SUL backpackers don't even need to peek at em. But the expression "we pack our fears" applies. I fear olive oil spilling in my pack!

https://smile.amazon.com/Nalgene-HDP...ner&th=1&psc=1
    download.jpeg
    Last edited by LDog; 12-31-2017 at 10:31.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Freezer bags. I. Not “doing dishes” in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I concur with Lone Wolf in this and sleep with all my food in the tent vestibule. Not advisable for most people of course but it's worked for me for the last 40 years. YMMV.
    Then again, think about it: We are human cheese sticks putting out a tremendous amount of bear-delectable odors while we sleep in our tents. Oh and we just ate a one pound dinner which is in a bag in our tents---in our stomachs. Don't think a bear can't smell all of us and all of the food inside us???
    The gas produced by the food in your intestines is what keeps the bears away, over powers the remnant food odors that would normally linger.

I re-hydrate in the pot.
    Last edited by zelph; 06-11-2018 at 14:21.

I never liked using my jetboil pot, since it's sorta tall and narrow, and because of the anodized coating
    but
    I like eating out of a bag even less.

I have yet to try out my ti pot and brs stove.... but I think I'm going to like it more.

Something like a mountainhouse meal, I'm a little more likely to hydrate in and eat out of the bag, because the bags are a bit sturdier and self supporting. I especially dislike using ziplocks or the instant oatmeal envelopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem View Post
    Freezer bags. I. Not “doing dishes” in the woods.
    I learned my lesson about trying to eat directly out of a ziploc freezer bag.

While eating my beef stew the bag slipped through my fingers and the contents went all over my lap, my camp clothes, which was all I had to sleep in.

I thought sure I’d attract every bear within five miles.

Since I heat water with a Traildesigns Caldera Cone and F Keg can, the whole unit comes with a plastic container that screws together in the middle. Either half accepts a quart size ziploc bag perfectly to hold your dinner.

traildesigns.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Images

I use a 475ml Ti cup as my pot. I pour the water into my ziplock baggie and then put that in a cozy. I eat directly from the bag in the cozy.

I too have found the freezer bag method taxing and prefer to cook in my Jetboil. I find the freezer bag method too messy for me for one and secondly I like some others have stated do not like boiling/hot water cooking my food in plastic.
    I like Sarcasm the Elf, put my dehydrated meal and water in the pot, boil and then let it sit for a few minutes then bring back to a boil and usually ten more minutes the food is good to go. I do the same thing with mac and cheese and most other meals.
    On a side note; I actually love the Mountain House meals and have been purchasing the big pales in bulk. Much cheaper than the two and three serving meals. You can get beef cubes and burger along with many other selections. The bulk Mountain House selections have definitely increased my meal options over the years. I've been known to pack out steaks and potatoes on resupply nights and boy is that good when you get to camp and get those babies going!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Empty peanut butter Or pesto jar from Costco

I use a container like prunes or cottage cheese comes in with the snap on lid.It houses my SP600,Zelph Starlyte Burner with stand,and other paraphenalia associated with alcohol stoves.

Once the pot comes out the container is lined with a Ziplock freezer bag and the boiling water goes in the bag and the lid snaps on.I quit using a cozy as I cant tell much difference without it for the simple foods I eat which is mostly instant potatoes,Knorrs rice/pasta meals spiked with other ingredients.No washing dishes and it gets the job done.I hang the used bag with the food of course.

Leonidas

Empty white chocolate peanut butter jar. No cooking/hot water.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Ziploc quart size freezer bag. Cheap, effective, and I don't have to do dishes

Pour appropriate amts of Knorr Sides into 750 ml(if that's your pot size). Heat. Eat. No soaking required unless you're eating cold. As a heads up I find a 750 ml pot to be the smallest volume pot for a full size packet(4.4 oz) of Knorrs Sides and a bit of add ins(green onion, greens, tuna packet etc). Most hikers have a usable Ziploc or small stuff sack if needed for anything more. I'm trying to personally move away from Ziplocs/trail trash to get rid of on trail... and I tend to already have little trash. Between shoulders seasons I like to rehydrate- grow sprouts for added nutrients from a small amt of seed in a small hemp mesh bag hung off the back of the pack.

Images

I don't particularly like to eat out of freezer bags UNTIL I discovered that quart sized bags fit perfectly in my 850ml pot. Once rehydrated I open the bag and pull the top around the lip of the pot. Just like eating out of the pot without any mess.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Ziploc freezer bag

Default What container do you use to re-hydrate your food?

Just got these "sous vide" bags. Like a ziplok on steroids. made out of the safest plastics. they cone with a pump for vacuum sealing, if you want.
    When it's dinner time, I put this bag with the food in it, in a cozy, then pour in the hot water.
    You could rinse it out, and you can reuse...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++