WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do the neighbors think you wierd for camping in the back yard...the kids excuse

So I like to experiment and test out my new equipment...sometimes I just set it up in the backyard for an overnighter. So here it is my new hammock and quilt, I set it up out back and now my neighbors are on their back porch peeking over to see what's going on. I'm sure they look at it as somewhat strange since I don't have kids as an excuse to go outside and play.

But here's the kicker.... Neighbors kids come over they want to try out the Hammock... few days later neighbors ask to borrow a tent and or hammock so the kiddos can sleep out back and of course the parents plan to be out there with them for supervision

Isn't life funny

Images

If they do think I'm weird, they know better than to mention it.

We had our hammocks strung up on turtledogs in the backyard. Neighbors granddaughter wanted to check it out. They didn't ask to borrow equipment but they thought it was pretty neat. As far as lending equipment to kids, I would have to say no. My kids are hard enough on gear and if I didn't know them VERY well, I couldn't trust them to handle my expensive outdoor gear with the respect and restraint it requires. They sell tents at Walmart for 40 or 50 bucks the kids would be fine in. Let them tear that stuff up.

Cheers,
    The Goat

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    If they do think I'm weird, they know better than to mention it.
    I like your style

Yes, they think I am weird. Fortunately, I don't care.

If it were possible I strongly believe my neighbors would have me committed! They can't see the fun in an old gizer sleeping outside when there's snow on the ground. Can't use the wife excuse, I'm single!

Not sure about the backyard but I've had some weird looks pitching my zPacks shelter in the local park. It looks like a cheap tarp from a distance and it was dusk...

They think me odd yes, but backyard camping is only part of the reason. Walking the dog with a fully loaded pack and stopping at the park to heat tea with an alcohol stove probably contributed more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One year prepping for a section hike I would go out at lunch with a daypack full of bricks. There were a couple old timer contractors replacing porches on an apartment. We would say Hi walking by and after a week or so one of them asked me what I was carrying in the pack, I told them it was full of bricks. They didn't believe me so I carefully pulled off the pack and acted like it didn't weigh much and handed it to one of them. It quickly went to ground when he tried to grab it. I opened it up and showed them the bricks. They couldn't believe that I was carrying bricks to get ready for vacation.

What others think of me is none of my damn business!!
    Its my life so I live it as I see fit!

Well, my neighbors have watched me split wood, pull invasive weeds, hand-pollinate pawpaws, and snowshoe dog-walking paths, so hammocks and tents are just another "thing."

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    So I like to experiment and test out my new equipment...sometimes I just set it up in the backyard for an overnighter. So here it is my new hammock and quilt, I set it up out back and now my neighbors are on their back porch peeking over to see what's going on. I'm sure they look at it as somewhat strange since I don't have kids as an excuse to go outside and play.

But here's the kicker.... Neighbors kids come over they want to try out the Hammock... few days later neighbors ask to borrow a tent and or hammock so the kiddos can sleep out back and of course the parents plan to be out there with them for supervision

Isn't life funny
    In Episode 15 I draw a page from Jeff Foxworthy and do a “you might be a thru-hiker if.” I think you might appreciate these quirks and others of our little community, at which point you get your sign Check it out, if your interested, on YouTube channel “Thru-hiking with Scars”. Cheers, Scars.
    Please view YouTube channel “Thru-hiking with Scars” for updates on my 2018 Charity AT Thru-hike, supporting the Cancer Research Institute

No, but my neighbor pulling around a weighted sled is, along with riding their 4-wheeler around the yard at 2:00 a.m.......
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post

Isn't life funny
    Weird can be good. It can startle folks out of their cultural, regional, socio-economic, and national norms. Illiciting out of the box thinking and comfort zone expansion is how we can assist developing and inspiring others, our families, and ourselves. For one it can build tolerance. Two, it can illicit greater gratitude. Making the what once seemed weird, abnormal, or non standard an option is how we grow; it is how LD/thru hikers generally operate at some point to some degree in their "careers." In short, weirdness fully considered and possibly embraced can result in greater awareness, some might say enlightenment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah I've gotten some strange looks. My backyard is my "outdoor hammock lab" so I do quite a bit of testing back there.

I've also gotten some "is that guy homeless?" looks backpacking around the neighborhood lol.

I don't know yet. I just got my Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2, and I'm impressed with how light it is. In fact, I'm so impressed at the lightness of the tent floor that I've got materials on order to make a ground mat for the thing before I try it out in the back yard.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Weird can be good. It can startle folks out of their cultural, regional, socio-economic, and national norms. Illiciting out of the box thinking and comfort zone expansion is how we can assist developing and inspiring others, our families, and ourselves. For one it can build tolerance. Two, it can illicit greater gratitude. Making the what once seemed weird, abnormal, or non standard an option is how we grow; it is how LD/thru hikers generally operate at some point to some degree in their "careers." In short, weirdness fully considered and possibly embraced can result in greater awareness, some might say enlightenment.
    “Elicit” is a verb that means “to obtain.” It can also mean “to draw out, to extract, or to evoke.” For example, “The community advocate elicited hundreds of signatures to prevent the destruction of neighborhood landmarks.”
    “Illicit” is an adjective that means “disapproved for moral reasons.” For example, “The IT department scanned all computers for illicit activity.”

Sorry, but the misuse was bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I don't know yet. I just got my Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL 2, and I'm impressed with how light it is. In fact, I'm so impressed at the lightness of the tent floor that I've got materials on order to make a ground mat for the thing before I try it out in the back yard.
    Got the same tent I'll bet you can set it up for the first time in you back yard in 10 min or less....enjoy

Images

Yeah they probably think I'm weird, but I don't give a rats arse, I've always done my own thing without worrying about what other people think.

Not sure what my neighbors think, I’m certain I don’t care.

My wife? Yeah, she thinks it’s pretty weird, especially the past couple of weeks when I’ve been testing new quilts on my hammock in freezing weather.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++