WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I bringing too many socks?

Currently I have 3 pairs of darn tough socks 2 pairs of waterproof sealskinz socks 4 pairs of light merino wool socks for an underlayer and I am thinking about getting a pair of Dyneema socks (https://www.getfyf.com) to wear around camp.

Is this overkill, or am I missing something?

Images

What season? For a typical AT March hike I would carry the three pairs of Darn Toughs. Keep one dry to wear in bed, and rotate the other two while hiking.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thanks. That was what I originally thought, but I was seduced by the word waterproof.

I had two pairs of darn-toughs and two pairs of liners. I also had a pair of fleece socks to sleep in.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    What season? For a typical AT March hike I would carry the three pairs of Darn Toughs. Keep one dry to wear in bed, and rotate the other two while hiking.
    Same for me, maybe one more for the rotation. I tried sealskinz, and they sure keep your feet dry from the outside, but your feet will smell so bad after a few hours that you'll worry that something died in there.

Used to carry three pairs of darn toughs. Now carry four since a friend made a point that the weight penalty is not that high for the benefit.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Include two pair of liner socks and this is what I did for my JMT thru...

I would wear a set of liners and Darn Tough for two days. I would then wash these and given them two days to dry while I wore the other set of liner/Darn Tough.

Socks are light...unless they get wet....

I'm with you - 3 pair. Two for hiking rotation and one to keep dry to sleep in. Darn Toughs rule on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Socks are light...unless they get wet....
    But that is when you are really glad you have the extra pair.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    But that is when you are really glad you have the extra pair.
    Actually, that is how you end up with four wet pairs.......

Your feet and socks are going to get wet, no matter what you do. I took 3 pairs. 2 to hike in (swapped out every day and hung the other pair on my pack while hiking) and the 3rd was a pair of Smartwools that felt like walking on clouds in town. At night, they were great on the feet in the sleeping bag as well. Just do ziplock laundry often to keep the salt off 'em.
    - Trail name: Thumper

You can't go wrong with Darn Tough socks for hiking. You might want to try something different for sleeping: looser, softer, warmer. Of those qualities, warmer is very important. Your feet take a lot of abuse while hiking. Warm feet at night have full blood flow to aid in recovery, whereas cold feet have restricted blood flow.

I carry 1 pair that always stay dry, and 1 pair that stay dry until they get wet. If the socks are wet so are the shoes and the socks will dry before the shoes which means any pair of dry socks that go into the shoes will get wet fast. One could say that once the shoes dry you will want a dry pair of socks to put on with said dry shoes. But if socks dry faster then shoes then my wet socks are dry before the shoes? Lol 2 pair of socks for me
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

2 pairs darn tough all you need for a thru. When it was colder I did bring a mm extra pair of big fluffy cotton socks for sleeping only, was a nice luxury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

I'll wear the same pair of darn toughs over and over again until they are going to cause a problem. Hike enough and you'll know when it's time for a fresh pair. I've hiked 11 days straight on one pair. It was dry and clean hiking though. I've also gone day and my socks were so muddy that if I didn't switch them out for a fresh pair my feet would probably have gotten mangled by them.

Fresh socks every day on trail would be magical, but not worth the weight penalty.

I've started experimenting with lighter synthetic socks. Especially in the warmer months. A quick rinse and they actually dry overnight. Feel almost like laundry mat clean. Clean without the softness.

Socks are a very personal thing. I think a good starting place is

2x pair of darn tough hikers
    1x pair of smartwool thick socks for sleeping

Your feet should be happy with this setup and should mitigate any problems. Adjust as needed.

After a brutally cold, wet, muddy day. A little foot powder and clean, dry, thick socks are legit

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Images

The fastest way to dry wet socks is to hike in them. Two or three pair, period for me. One pair for hiking in - wet or dry, one pair for camp - dry. After a few days, on a nice sunny day, wash the hiking pair and hang on your pack to dry during the day. Hike in the former "camp" socks for the next few days.

In really cold weather, down booties are light, comfy, and add to your sleeping warmth. I find regular socks constrict the blood flow to my feet and toes, thus making my feet colder. Down booties do not have this effect.

I only carry two pairs of socks; one pair to hike in, usually Darn Tough, but occasionally a thicker SmartWool. I carry a second pair of light socks to sleep in, or wear to the next mail drop in the event of catastrophic sock failure. Usually these are wool running or biking socks, but for some time I carried cashmere argyle socks I received as a gift. When you backpack a lot, people give you socks.
    I have started to move towards ankle socks, as I wear low-rise boots and the crew socks have material that does little for me.

There’s really no such thing as practical waterproof.

I carried 2 darn toughs and one possumdown pair for sleep and questioned the 2nd pair of darn toughs. Unless I knew I was going into town the next day I’d just keep wearing the ****ty wet pair because otherwise I’d have 2 wet nasty pairs.

Only on rare occasions did I use the 2nd pair as a morale boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

This worked for me in 2016. Dry socks stayed DRY in a zip-loc. Other 2 pair rotated as/is needed.

And yes, Darn Tough the whole way.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++