WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Goingforalittlewalk View Post
    I sweat bad.. makes no difference putting on rain gear.
    I think it might make a difference in freezing rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Regarding the sleeves, most of the time I button-up the sides of the pocho, hiding my arms inside, maybe stucking the hands in the trousers pockets for additional warmth.
    Interesting. I guess that could also work if one had hiking poles, if the poncho was left free to hang. But if you had a belt/strap around the waist to keep it from blowing around, you'd not be able to use hiking poles under the poncho.

Quote Originally Posted by Two more miles View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I should stay with my nylon rip-stop poncho or switch to a jacket and paints for my SOBO. To me they are both a pain in the but. Any opinions as to witch setup to go with? I have a nice Army gortex rain jacket that takes a liner, but it's heavy. If I go with rain rear will frog toggs hold up the hole AT?
    I go with The Packa as my rain top as it also triples as my pack cover and pillow. It is very light weight with pit zips. If I want to use my Packa as a pack cover only, I tuck the sleeves behind my back within the pack area. http://www.thepacka.com/

And, I use Marmot rain paints for bottom protection. However, if it is warm enough, I don't put on the rain pants. I use the rain pants mostly for late Fall, winter, and early Spring.

Keep in mind the fundamental purpose of rain gear is not to keep you dry but to keep you warm. Hypothermia being the primary issue of concern in inclement weather should be keeping the effects of wind and related driving rain, ice pellets, snow, or sleet to a minimum. Intended altitude and other factors can come into play with that decision as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++