WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you enjoy hiking/walking?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do your really enjoy hiking?

One of the things that I have noticed is that there are a lot of long distance hikers who don't seem to hike much, except on their long distance hikes. To me this implies that they don't much like to hike. If they did, they would do it more often. That seems incredible to me, since long distance hiking is all about walking, all day every day for four or five or six months. I started as a walker, became a hiker, became a backpacker, became a long distance hiker - all because I basically enjoy walking. How about you?

I like to hike, but I much prefer a long distance hike, something I can immerse myself in. The longer the better.

Maybe the difference is I started out as a long distance hiker.

Seriously I've always enjoyed walking.
    Last edited by Sly; 08-01-2005 at 14:55.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker
    One of the things that I have noticed is that there are a lot of long distance hikers who don't seem to hike much, except on their long distance hikes. To me this implies that they don't much like to hike. If they did, they would do it more often. That seems incredible to me, since long distance hiking is all about walking, all day every day for four or five or six months. I started as a walker, became a hiker, became a backpacker, became a long distance hiker - all because I basically enjoy walking. How about you?

I've noticed that as well. Odd.

Almost every weekend I am doing something outdoors. Even if it is just a quick hike in the local open space system.

The outdoors are an important part of my life. If I don't get out on a weekend, I feel as if I somehow did not take advantage of the weekend. During the week, I take advantage of the local open space and try to some sort of hike (or trail run). Even during the winter I try to get out every weekend as well.

Living in Boulder, I am very lucky that so much great outdoor oppurtunities are within a short drive (or even bike ride!). Yesterday we drove 1/2 an hour to a trail head that led me to Devl's Thumb Pass right on the Continental Divide (and the CDT!).

Life is good..life is good.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I would like hiking more if it didn't kill my knees (and this is WITHOUT a pack- how ultralight can you get eh? ) I like the outdoors, the challenge of getting somewhere totaly awesome etc etc... I would be out more often if I didn't kill the knees...

If I got into cycling- would this help my knees?

titanium
    just call me TH
    woman with altitude

Unhappy

None of the poll options fit for me. I love hiking -- dayhikes in the mountains are good, section hikes on tha A.T. are wonderful, one day being able to Thru would be amazing beyond my ability to express, but short ofa big lottery win, I don't see that happening in the next 15 years.

As it is, I am 3 hours away from any "decent hiking." On a typical year, I am able to get on the A.T. 3 to 5 times per year. This year, however, I'm incredibly bummed out because it has been 11 months since I have been able to get on the Trail, and every time I schedule a weekend, it gets "screwed up" because of other commitments in my life or that of my hiking partner. I am stuck just north of Damascus and cannot get back on the trail

Maybe sometime this month!!

Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker
    I would like hiking more if it didn't kill my knees (and this is WITHOUT a pack- how ultralight can you get eh? ) I like the outdoors, the challenge of getting somewhere totaly awesome etc etc... I would be out more often if I didn't kill the knees...

titanium
    My knee hurts some when cycling too, but not as much. For you, it might depend on what is the cause of the knee pain.

Images

i am addicted to hiking,camping,backpacking,kayaking,cycling,hammoc k hanging

i love it all neo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker

titanium
    knee trouble at age 17? neo

Default It's a lifestyle

I don't hike much, have always said that as a joke, but when I go it is for a good length of time. Not counting when I worked at Camp Moosilauke as the backpacking counselor, I have hiked about four times but covered about 6000 miles. I like being in a different spot every night and covering the distance. Living in Illinois, it takes too much time and money just to get to a good place to hike for a short hike. Just got back from a short hike up Long's Peak in Colorado with my old hiking partner whom I had not seen for 12 years. Parts of that were more "verging on technical" than anything on the AT, and the fifteen mile round trip gave me the satisfaction to know that I should be able to go back for a long distance hike on the AT again with no problem (few, anyway). Looking foreward to that after not going on a Long distance hike since 1989.

To me it is more of a lifestyle and short hikes just aren't the same.

Default Lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo!

To me it is more of a lifestyle and short hikes just aren't the same.
    Amen.
    I use the short hikes to test gear and equipment, for the "real" hikes.

Journal Entries
    Images

For me its the short hikes/day trips which are the lifestyle.

I missed out on a lot before I realized that shorter can be better (for me and my wife).

Rick B

Journal Entries
    Images

I just wanted to expand that I didn't go backpacking for some seven years after my thru hike, and did very little walking of any kind. I thought that anything less than a long hike wasn't of value. Lacking the opportunity (and will) I didn't..

When I finally got around to forcing myself back on the Trail, I met my wife up at Ethan Pond. The walking/hiking dynamic changed dramatically for me. Once I had an "excuse" for going only 5 or 8 miles, I was able to relax and enjoy a shorter walk. Even if it did take a book and a beer back in camp.

After a while the book and beer became less neccessary. Day hikes are great, and when we do go out to the Parks for longer trips, they are hardly marathons.

I guess what I am saying is that I thought hiking was an "All or nothing" proposition. It took me way to long to figure that out. When I read Mags post about his great short trips in Colorado (if a marathon night hike up Longs Peak can be called short), I whish I had been halp as smart as he, way back when!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    I guess what I am saying is that I thought hiking was an "All or nothing" proposition. It took me way to long to figure that out. When I read Mags post about his great short trips in Colorado (if a marathon night hike up Longs Peak can be called short), I whish I had been halp as smart as he, way back when!

Hope you are not as "smart" as I am..most people would be in trouble.

In all seriousness, I'd rather be out for weeks or months at a time..but how can I not go hiking? The beauty of the outdoors is something I need in my life. Sure..wish I could be on the CDT right now..but seeing the sunrise from the top of Longs is something that I will never forget. Walking the Maroon Bells last weekend and seeing the alpenglow on the peaks was the equal of anything I've seen on my long walks. The wildflowers were unbelievable.

These hikes are also imporant to me due to the friendships I have made. Many of us are transplants to Colorado. We have formed our own tribe..our own family. The hikes I do are a way of spending time with people I consider my family. A way of strengthening my ties to them.

When I am in the "real world", these short hikes are important to me. For the beauty, the joy of being outdoors, for the time spent with friends. It allows me to stay still connected to the wilderness. It is just for fun..it is a necessity. As mentioned, I live in a place where the outdoors are part of daily life. If I was to move back to where I grew up, I would not be as happy as I am now!

OTOH: I crave these long adventures too. How can I make the CDT work? I want to be out for months at a time again. These weekend (and many times weekday) adventures are a neccesity..but the long hikes are a desire. Something I hunger for..a passion that is all consuming at times.

I like both my weekend jaunts and my thru-hikes. I need them both to make my life complete.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker
    I've always been a walker -- well from age nine or so on -- though never on any regular schedule. It's just something I do as opportunities arise, from walking the two miles home from school in the 30s and 40s, to walking from Georgia to Maine in the 90s.

Late years I try to be a bit more organized and to do several five mile walks a week, partly because I enjoy it, partly because regular exercise is even more important as we age. Luckily, one of our town's land trust preserves is located two miles down the road, where a pretty five mile loop trail along a pond and through the woods has become my favorite place to walk. Well, perhaps it was not altogether luck. I drafted the fund raising letters and pretty much organized the drive that raised the needed $200,000, somewhat to my surprise.

It's hardly wilderness. A busy highway can be seen a quarter mile away across a shallow 100-acre pond. But the trail loops through pretty groves of pine and hemlock, uphill and down, and offers a constantly changing array of wild flowers and fungi.

Occasionally I spot a deer, or a beaver swimming in a bog. I always see plenty of birds and small creatures.

Weary

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I only get one full weekend a month off so thats when we go. 2 to 3 day hikes are about all I can get away with. I do use them to try out new gear and ideas from time to time, but mostly, it's just good to be outside. There are not a lot of trails around where I live but there are a few places to hike. The cool thing is; in the areas around here are not things you would tipically see on a thru-hike. We have the Dismal Swamp and Merchants Millpond State Park. Both places are considered "primative" Both places have really unique plants and animals. Have you ever seen a alligator this far north? If you are in the area, worth checking out
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

I know what you mean. We did a dayhike in the middle of Montgomery County, MD and saw 16 deer yesterday. Within 3 miles of our house we have seen beavers in three different ponds. On other dayhikes in the middle of suburbia we have seen foxes. You don't have to go far afield to experience wild nature.

I'm with Mags. I NEED to spend time outdoors, for both physical and emotional health. I love doing the long hikes, but haven't the money to do it as often as I would like. So I go out for the day, or the weekend, and occasionally the week - and that keeps me happy until the time that I can go for another long trek.

I'm not sure if how often relates to how much I enjoy, among other things, walking! I could go everyday, but don't. I tried to explain recently that living where we do is almost like hiking the trail w/o the hiking- it's hard not to feel connected. We probably went on more walks, bike rides, etc., living in the city because it was harder to maintain that outdoors connection. I love being outdoors, in the woods, in the mountains and it doesn't matter if I'm daywalking or sittin' on my porch. My other love is travel, so LDH is combined passion.

When I hear someone say they are bored with hiking the trail I think they mean there is something they'd rather be doing. There have been times I've wondered what the heck/$&@# am I doing?!; but in all honesty I have NEVER felt bored, the feelings are too strong.

I checked: "i walk almost everday". but in reality, i either walk or jog everyday. I actually jog more. But then sometimes i think my style of hiking is a lot more like jogging than it is walking. I like to get my cardiovascular system pumping everyday. (not too hard, but about the same as hiking uphill)
    But i love being outdoors. (even more than walking or jogging) I even do ALL of my computer work outside on my porch here in Thailand where it is always warm enough.

By the end of my 1500 miles, I hated hiking and never thought I'd want to do it again. However, one summer later, I'm back at it again every weekend, on day hikes, exploring islands around Vancouver or 2 or 3 day backpacking trips. This weekend, I went backpacking to Manning Park in Southern BC, which is one end of the Pacific Crest Trail...kind of got me thinking...I could forsee some more long-distance hiking.

But to answer the original question, I do like walking a lot. Just in smaller doses I think. The larger doses make me tired of it.
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Default hooked on hiking

Day hikes/overnights every single week.
    Weeklong trips about every 4-6 weeks
    I moved within 5 miles of the A.T. for that very reason and have NEVER looked back.
    I just need to find a way to focus on working cuz I can BARELY pull myself off the trail! I only work to buy more trail food and gear...you think i'm kidding? I'm not! Since i've moved to Bryson City, my legs are stronger now than when I was thru hiking in 04 because now i'm focusing on the hardest hikes I can find in the Smokies. Actually i'm trying to get a job in the park tracking the Elk population, just so I NEVER have to go indoors! (except to post on whiteblaze of course, hehe)
    And I didn't even touch on my paddling obsession! DON'T get me started!!!

Ceilings....Walls....carpet....*BOOOOOO*
    Sky....Bugs....Rain....Dirt....*CHEERS*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++