WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Long Trail '04
    Images

Default Want to test a free pack from Mountain Hardwear?

Got this email today.. interesting offer from Mountain Hardwear. You get to keep the Exdous pack that you test.

Mountain Hardwear is recruiting our 2006 Exodus Tester Team. Team Members will receive a complimentary new Exodus backpack and agree to plan and execute a backpacking trip, preferably on one of our National Trails -- the Continental Divide Trail, the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail -- during the spring or summer of 2006.
    Think you have what it takes to be an Exodus Tester?
    • Plan and execute a backpack trip 7 days or longer, preferably on one of our National Trails during the spring or summer of 2006
    • Document your trip in words and pictures for publication on our website
    • Provide product feedback to the Mountain Hardwear equipment development team
    • Suggested: plan and execute a trail stewardship project on the National Trail of your choice
    What Mountain Hardwear will provide:
    • One free Exodus backpack, men's or women's
    • Special pricing on Mountain Hardwear backpacking gear or apparel for personal use on your Exodus Tester trip (limit $500)
    http://mountainhardwear.whitehorse.com/ExodusTester.aspx

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Krap that's a heavy pack!!! It's almost as heavy as my Palisade, although a free pack has merits..it is almost twice the weight of my summer pack.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

almost 6 lbs? no wonder they're giving them away

Images

I just saw the smaller version of this pack the other night when a MH rep came to our shop to show the new gear during a mountaineering slideshow. The pack was very cool, with a completely new design/technology. It's essentially an external frame pack, but with the feel of an internal. It's got a unique structure, with a harness like sternum strap that puts the weight on your chest and not on your shoulders. Also you can adjust the pack in different ways than you can with an external as there aren't traditional load lifters. Lastly you can bend down without moving the pack as the hipbelt moves 90 degrees allowing free range movement while not moving the pack.

I was told about the contest/pack testing, which sounded excellent considering my trip this yr and intended journal, especially since the pack will retail for 399 bucks. But alas, the pack is just way too overkill for a PCT or AT hike, considering my light load. Would be great for someone carrying more.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    almost 6 lbs? no wonder they're giving them away
    .....agreed
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

its about time. i had heard through the grapevine back in 02 or 03 that MH was going to be coming out with packs. this is the first i have seen of them. but i agree...they are way too heavy.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Default MH backpack TESTERS

[QUOTE=SavageLlama]Got this email today.. interesting offer from Mountain Hardwear. You get to keep the Exdous pack that you test.
    QUOTE]

I am TRULY AMAZED that any pack weighs more than 4 or 5 lbs these days...this "NEW" pack weighs 5lbs 12oz & UP!

my current pack is 3 years old & its only 4lbs 6oz....(4400ci)

get LIGHTER...not HEAVIER! NO THANKS!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

~LIVE WELL~LAUGH OFTEN~LOVE MUCH~ Green Bean's Avatar
    Images

i like it but agree on the weight my pack weighs 4.5 pounds ~ GB

I like how they want you to do a hike on a famous trail. Sounds like it's just for publicity and not actual testing data (especially if it's already out for sale).
    How do you keep in contact with them during a hike on the PCT or CDT? Free satellite phone maybe?

So little time, so many miles to go MtnBikerGuy's Avatar

I got the same email about the packs. Seems like that offer was shotgun'd out to the world. There will be 30 packs for the 10,000+ applications. I'll just play the state lotto instead.

My current pack is just under 6lbs. Most of my other gear is pretty light, but not all. It's funny how many people go over board on a couple pounds of weight on their pack/gear, but if they looked in the mirror, they could easily see where they could drop 10+ pounds.....just an observation.
    Minds are like parachutes, they function only when open.

Images

Default Did Anyone Enter?

Quote Originally Posted by SavageLlama
    Got this email today.. interesting offer from Mountain Hardwear. You get to keep the Exdous pack that you test.

Mountain Hardwear is recruiting our 2006 Exodus Tester Team. Team Members will receive a complimentary new Exodus backpack and agree to plan and execute a backpacking trip, preferably on one of our National Trails -- the Continental Divide Trail, the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail -- during the spring or summer of 2006.
    Think you have what it takes to be an Exodus Tester?
    • Plan and execute a backpack trip 7 days or longer, preferably on one of our National Trails during the spring or summer of 2006
    • Document your trip in words and pictures for publication on our website
    • Provide product feedback to the Mountain Hardwear equipment development team
    • Suggested: plan and execute a trail stewardship project on the National Trail of your choice
    What Mountain Hardwear will provide:
    • One free Exodus backpack, men's or women's
    • Special pricing on Mountain Hardwear backpacking gear or apparel for personal use on your Exodus Tester trip (limit $500)
    http://mountainhardwear.whitehorse.c...dusTester.aspx

SavageLLama:

I decided to enter. The hardest question was about relating a story about a past hike in 50 words or less. In high school back in the olden days, we had to do writing exercises called "precis." writing. We had to take an essay and reduce it down to a paragraph. I approached the effort the same way. Anyone else learn writing by "Precis?"

I wrote out my story, then I worked it down to 50 words. It is really hard to tell any kind of story in 50 words.

I have no expectation of winning for I think they will have thousands of entries and at age 64, I am sure I don't fit any of their demographic requirements. I thought if I won, I could lose some weight to make up for the weight of the pack, however. My guess is that they will offer a discount coupon to any that submitted and entry and that might be useful.

First, the whole story:

A friend once worked out a trip to climb down into the Grand Canyon to Supai Village to see all that the Canyon offers and the magnificent waterfalls of Havasu. I flew from Great Falls Montana on a shuttle to Las Vegas. My friend, driving in from California met me at the airport and we drove to the rim of the Canyon. It was late and we stealth camped off the road. In the morning I walked down the rutted gravel road casually looking for arrowheads. To my surprise and real shock, I found an intact spear point . It was tucked away that morning and off we went for a great trip into the Grand Canyon. On the way back, I suggested it might be just my luck to find another artifact and so we pulled off and I covered the rutted road going off further up the trail. In minutes, I was again surprised to find an intact scraper. I was impressed with the unity of my find, the true representatives of a hunter/gatherer culture of long ago. I hastened to show off my new finding. With a steady gaze, he smiled and said, "It’s catch and release time, kid." I understood everything at once. Now, I think of that trip, my visit to Supai Village, the magnificent waterfall and the present occupants of this land. I also think of my findings, now carefully hidden under a rock, not to be disturbed again for many years.

Now the same story on a diet:

On a Grand Canyon hike, I found a spear point and scraper on the way back from my visit to the Supai Village and the magnificent waterfalls of Havasu. "It’s catch and release time," my friend said after finding the scraper. I understood. Now they lie undisturbed, hidden, a memory.

They also asked for a writing example and I submitted one of my pedantic postings from Whiteblaze.net on the variables to consider when selecting a pack.

So anyone else try an entry...?

I enjoyed the exercise. I would not have heard about the contest had I not seen your post of Whiteblaze.net.

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

P.S. I hope you know the Ogden Nash Poem..

The one-l lama,
    He's a priest.
    The two-l llama,
    He's a beast.
    And I will bet
    A silk pajama
    There isn't any
    Three-l lllama.*

My poetry book had an editor's comment about a conflagation called a three Alarmer...

++ New Posts ++