WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Single vs Double

Looking for feedback.... I received two hammocks for Christmas one of which has to be returned. I have the Eno Double nest and the single nest. I'm 6'2" and 218 pounds heading for 205. What are the pro/cons to each. I've always been a ground dweller and this was a suprise. Appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Some backyard testing is in order. You'll need either proper insulation or nice weather. Lay in each for an extended time and see if you have a preference.

I've never tried the ENO SN but enjoy my DN. The SN is probably a little lighter, simply because there is less fabric.

One thing to keep in mind is that Eno hammocks are pretty short, 9'4" I think. Most people, especially taller people like yourself, prefer an 11' hammock.

You might find it a great "napper" but not great for an overnight sleep.

Be careful, ENOs have long been considered the "gateway drug" into the convoluted world of hammockery. Happy hanging!

I would send the double back. It's too heavy for backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    I would send the double back. It's too heavy for backpacking.
    Not necessarily true. I've carried mine on a few overnights and many day hikes for a mid-day nap. Sure it's not "ultra-light" but it's what I had at the time so I used it. Still do from time to time!

Keep both!
    I am 5'11" 200 and sleep much better in the double and backpack exclusively with it. It is much easier for me to get a slightly diagonal lay, adjust, and keep extra bedding, clothes, bags, and so on contained. This single sits in my car and gets use at picnics, music festivals, day hikes, beverages by the river, etc, etc, etc.

Images

The ENO's tend to be too short to get a comfortable lay in ( I have a ENO DN ). Recommend you look at a 11 ft hammock ( or a Warbonnet Blackbird ). I am 6ft2 and 275+ lbs
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Late here, wondering what you've done? My 2 cents is that because the ENO's are short, its worth the extra weight for a person of your size to have the double. No other pro or con. The extra width means you should get a flatter lay, whereas its heavier.

An indirect benefit of keeping the single is that you'll have more refund to spend on other items. You could backyard test them to see. If you don't test, keep the double.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I think you should keep both

++ New Posts ++