WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

In 2003 there was a fellow who let you either tent in his back yard or rent a room in the house. If you tented he would give you access to the back door of the house for use of the toilet and shower. Don't remember the fellows name at the moment but the house itself was on the other side of the canal. From the ATC Regional office you walked over the bridge and took a left at the first street. The house was a block or two down on the left.

Only there for the one night so that worked out perfect for me. I chose to save the money and tent in his back yard. Then a group of us walked over for pizza. Later that evening we heard about an outdoor Blue Grass Festival at the local college east of town. A local with a pick-up offered to drive us out and back. We grabbed a couple six packs, spread out our matresses and enjoyed the show.

All things considered, Boiling Springs was a positive experience for me.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

My impression of Boiling Springs was neither positive or negative. I had hiked in and needed to hike on pretty quick if I wanted to make it across the valley the same day. Definitely was not impressed with the camping facilities. Spent some time on the ATC porch - they were closed. A local did stop by and inform us that the only restaurant that would welcome us was the Pizza place. Just bought some snacks at the Gas Station, did a very quick walk-through of the Outfitter (not at all hiker oriented, more yuppie fisherman), then hiked on.

Too bad all the hard feelings in the valley. Would be nice to be allowed a campsite somewhere, plenty of spaces available. ATC did itself and other Scenic Trails a big disservice by the tactic they used of invoking eminent domain. Other trails do not have that authority, and have been working hard, so far unsuccessfully, to get willing seller authority. The NPS or NFS cannot buy land to protect other trails, even if they have a willing seller. I'm sure some of the resistance is due to the very bad publicity that the ATC brought to the Trails System. A very unfortunate decision.

Ah yes, the "Outfitter," 'tis true we are not their target market. Here's a link to a local info sheet the volunteers in the little cottage use, when they're on duty: http://www.satc-hike.org/BSQA.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    OK, then the weekday buses to Carlisle won't work either, the only one of those routes I mentioned that had weekend service is the downtown Harrisburg to airport. So you're back to the other suggestion, last I looked on the shuttle list the Carlisle/Boiling Springs area was fairly well represented.
    Oops, thought of one other possibility - Capitol Trailways http://www.capitoltrailways.com/default.html if you click "Scheduled Line Service" you can see the off brand 'hound service from Carlisle to Harrisburg that goes on weekends too. On another link it says the bus stop is at Dickinson College on Cherry Street - that will be about 1 mile west of the Carlisle Square or 6 miles from the center of B.S.

Thumbs up

Joe Paterno(considered god by many in PA),

Little Bear[/quote]

He IS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    This is the "main" spring on the path between the Post Office and Anile's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bsprings2.jpg
    Thanks. Does it ever cover the rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Too bad all the hard feelings in the valley. Would be nice to be allowed a campsite somewhere, plenty of spaces available.
    There's a shelter about 3 miles south of Boiling Springs, and a campsite at the south end of town, I hear. So what's the problem?

I've heard reports that B.S. (and the ATC HQ in town) are not hiker-friendly. That was not my experience at all.

I'd heard reports that camping in the corridor (between Darlington Shelter and B.S.) was not allowed, so I didn't... even though it meant a long afternoon at Darlington shelter, in the rain.

The guy at the ATC HQ when I went through was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Funny, too. They had fuel there you could top off with on a donation-basis. Pretty darn good pizza at the pizza place, and soda by the pitcher. The fishing place was interesting, but not much there for hikers, socks maybe. Overall, an attractive little town and a nice stop for a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, they give free postcards showing geological areas. They must have overestimated demand when they put the order in at the printer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post

I'd heard reports that camping in the corridor (between Darlington Shelter and B.S.) was not allowed, so I didn't... even though it meant a long afternoon at Darlington shelter, in the rain.

That's the problem, no camping for what, 12 or 15 miles, something like that. If you start at Alex Kennedy (3 miles south of BS) you have a choice of an 18 mile day or a 3 mile day. Would be better to have another, reasonable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    That's the problem, no camping for what, 12 or 15 miles, something like that. If you start at Alex Kennedy (3 miles south of BS) you have a choice of an 18 mile day or a 3 mile day. Would be better to have another, reasonable option.
    It wouldn't be the only place on the trail with a 15-mile gap between shelters. Like I said, I found the "no camping in the corridor" rule to be a minor imposition. For a fit hiker, the distance 'tween Alex Kennedy and Darlington is an easy 18.

Images

It's doable no argument. And it's not just no shelters, it's no camping. It's only necessary because of poor PR and would be much better if there were other options. It's not like there is no good place suitable to camp in that stretch.

Anyway, this thread is about B.S. so this is off topic and the situation is what it is.

B.S. is a kinda pretty little town...

I liked Boiling Springs.. I went swimming in their great swimming pool, {with showers), stayed in the back yard of some bed and breakfast, ate at the pizzaria, saw the boiling springs and got a trail water report from the AT center and was on my way.. Charming town....

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Thanks. Does it ever cover the rock?
    No, it does creep up on it a bit more in high groundwater conditions (can sort of see a line on the stone wall, in this photo, especially if you've been there many times to know what to look for )

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    The guy at the ATC HQ when I went through was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Funny, too. They had fuel there you could top off with on a donation-basis. Pretty darn good pizza at the pizza place, and soda by the pitcher. The fishing place was interesting, but not much there for hikers, socks maybe. Overall, an attractive little town and a nice stop for a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, they give free postcards showing geological areas. They must have overestimated demand when they put the order in at the printer.
    Would that have been a fit but balding man with a white beard and a hearing aid who doesn't quite look you in the eye, by any chance?

Stayed in Boiling Springs a couple of times and remember sleeping in a BB called Galinas Manor. Excellent lodging and a killer breakfast but she made me leave my pack on the porch. The eighteen miles to the North across the Valley is a flat doable walk even for out of shape section hikers like me.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Is there still a tenting area just before you come into town ?? I remember hiking through that area in 2003 but it looked a bit like a swamp and I decided to try my luck getting a place in town.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Any where to park a car for a week?

Footslogger - Yes. As many posters have noted, it can be noisy. There's an at-grade RR crossing nearby, so trains blow their whistles at the crossing.

Cosmo - Yes. The AT passes through a large parking lot as it heads south out of town. Used mostly by fishermen, but hikers can park there. Stop in (9-5 weekdays) at or call (717-258-5771) the ATC office for a parking "permit". No fee, just helps keep track of whose cars are in the lot. Safe - no history of vandalism we're aware of.

one plus is the post office is practically on the trail.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We skipped Boiling Springs- no place good to stay. We stayed instead in the I 81 interchange area at a motel, and I also spent the night in the very expensive Carlisle Hospital (but that's another story)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++